LVRC National Criterium Champs

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

Yosser

LVRC National Criterium Champs

Post by Yosser » 12 Jul 2016 23:18

A few people have asked about me riding the National Criterium Champs. The details are;

Race is this Sat, 16 July at The Stourport Circuit.
Address Stourport Sports Club, Kingsway, Stourport-on-Severn, DY13 8BQ

Races are on all day but unfortunately I am in the first race that starts at 9.00 am. Races are 1 hr + 5 laps. Should be a good race as it includes many of the top riders at this level including Don Parry, National RR champion. Got to admit, adrenaline rush even as I type!

One problem with LVRC racing is all abilities race together in any given age group. For example, in my race, (though racing for the age cat above me) is Geoff Cooke. His CV includes the following;

Cooke was born in Crumpsall, Manchester. He competed in the Sprint and Tandem Sprint events in Munich. Cooke represented England at the 1974 Commonwealth Games in Christchurch, where he won the Gold medal in the tandem sprint event. Along with winning the Commonwealth Championship he is a 31 times World Masters Champion, including winning the sprint championship for seven consecutive years between 1996 and 2002, and 64 times national champion.
Cooke broke the European record in the 500m TT for riders aged 60–64, whilst on the way to winning the gold medal at the 2008 European Masters Track Cycling Championships, with a new time of 37.244 seconds.[6]Cooke retained his title in 2009, albeit in the 65–69 age category, he also won the sprint and later on the same year took gold in the sprint and 500m TT and silver in the scratch race at the World Masters Track Championships in Sydney.

I will obviously have no trouble with an old man like that in the final sprint!

Dave

Simon Dighton

Sat

Post by Simon Dighton » 13 Jul 2016 19:05

Good luck Dave, let us know how you get on.

I know Geoff C - doesn't like hills but that's not much use on a crit!! Here's hoping you will roll him on the line.

Best
Simon

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 14 Jul 2016 00:03

Go Dave!
Eat cake before you're hungry

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 15 Jul 2016 19:19

Thanks for the support folks. It will be interesting, and, as a well respected visitor to this board would say, "better to be interesting than ...