New club senior men & women 10 mile records!

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

JessRJ

New club senior men & women 10 mile records!

Post by JessRJ » 28 Aug 2016 17:36

Prepare for a small amount of trumpet blowing :D

John Hunt, Steve Croggon & I raced at the Team Swift event on the V718 up in Hull today - tailwind out meant a tough headwind back to the finish. John beat the Beacon senior men's record by 14 seconds in a time of 20.12, I beat the women's record in 21.24 and Steve Croggon smashed his PB :)

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 28 Aug 2016 17:39

Whaaaaaaa Hoooooooo. Excellent news :D

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 28 Aug 2016 17:45

Well done all, fab times all around.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 28 Aug 2016 18:06

Well done all. Very good times

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

IanT

Post by IanT » 28 Aug 2016 18:08

Excellent performances, well done!

Tim

Post by Tim » 28 Aug 2016 18:18

Epic! Well done everyone!
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

Tim

Post by Tim » 28 Aug 2016 18:20

Looking at previous record holders and times this is no mean feat!

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/resources/c ... index.html
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 28 Aug 2016 18:54

Trumpet away, Jess. Simply wonderful riding. You and John will re-write more Beacon records, methinks!

Simon Dighton

Congratulations

Post by Simon Dighton » 29 Aug 2016 09:00

Brilliant times!!
Many congrats to all of you
Best
Simon

Simon Dighton

Post by Simon Dighton » 29 Aug 2016 09:55

Just a thought but next year we could try and pick up some team wins locally - with performances like that sure we will be super competitive and be good to put Beacon up in the lights

George

Post by George » 29 Aug 2016 11:47

Really excellent rides. Congratulations to all concerned.

keith

Post by keith » 29 Aug 2016 12:53

Excellent results well does everyone

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 31 Aug 2016 13:13

Brilliant racing. This year is looking like one of the most competitive in recent history.
To pick up on Simon's comment, this is just the sort of collaboration I was referring to in prev comments re the Club Racing co-ordination. If we had a weekly update of our own making, similar to the club run weekly list, people could say where they were going to race so that others could join them. People might also then ask how you got on rather competitors having to use the oft quoted phrase, "without wishing to blow my..."

Tim

Post by Tim » 31 Aug 2016 13:34

Keep the ideas coming, I'd wondered if a team captain of each discipline could work? A road captain, track, cx, TT. Their job would be just to rally the troops a bit, be a point of contact for anyone wanting to give that discipline of racing a go, and do a monthly post on results of last months races and flag next months races etc. Or just a single Beacon racing team captain or directeur sportive that covers all disciplines. Just another idea :D

John

Post by John » 31 Aug 2016 15:57

There are some interesting suggestions here: most of my TTing has been down to the encouragement of Jess.

For standard turn up and race crits the idea might work, but not as well for events you have to enter in advance (always my downfall!)

It would be nice if we could use the official Facebook page and twitter to advertise events and results.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 31 Aug 2016 16:53

Congratulations, both - very well deserved. Hopefully you've seen the update on the club Facebook page. I've also added an item about a couple of upcoming races, on John's suggestions. We'll also need to update the club records pages.

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 31 Aug 2016 22:27

I'd be up for having a go at being TT team captain :)

Sounds like there are a few helpful things this could involve - suggesting good TTs, coordinating enough Beacon members to make a team up for races and a trumpet-blowing round-up of results (maybe weekly in TT season & monthly over winter) could work well.

We could use the message board, current Beacon facebook group, or a new Beacon TT facebook group (with links to key posts on there posted on the main Beacon page). What does everyone think?

Tim

Post by Tim » 31 Aug 2016 23:45

Perfect. Seeing Laurence on Monday so will discuss with him then

But possible captains/roles:

TT - Jess
Road - James for BC (although not if this affects his curry night organisation) & Dave for LVRC
CX - Nic or Simon
Track - Adrian
BMX - Gav
Mtb - Helen
Job description - rally the troops flagging events to enter, monthly results and achievement highlights on MB and double the number of Beacon members racing in your discipline in 2017 compared to 2016 by whatever means/channels you want. Easy.

DS / Head Coach / Team Car Driver - Pete
Job description - Achieve a race win in every discipline. Not so easy.

PA for John Hunt.
JD - book his races (he's available every evening and weekend in 2017) - CVs to John.

These would all be informal fun roles with no requirement to attend a committee meeting ever or change the club's constitution!

The race/bc and TT secretary can then focus on organising all the races and stay busy keeping track of all the BC points and records!

As I said this is just an idea, tell me to shut up, but Jess clearly wants the job and we can't have TT having all the fun in 2017! I am willing to compete in every discipline, not that that will help you!

George

Post by George » 01 Sep 2016 00:29

JessRJ wrote:I'd be up for having a go at being TT team captain :)

Sounds like there are a few helpful things this could involve - suggesting good TTs, coordinating enough Beacon members to make a team up for races and a trumpet-blowing round-up of results (maybe weekly in TT season & monthly over winter) could work well.

We could use the message board, current Beacon facebook group, or a new Beacon TT facebook group (with links to key posts on there posted on the main Beacon page). What does everyone think?
Jess, far too much at this club (and at nearly all other clubs) is left to old gits (of which I emphatically count myself one, although I don't do much organising of anything these days). Please involve yourself in organising anything and everything, and encourage your peers to do likewise. Make the club relevant and attractive to your own age group, and ultimately we will all be better off.

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 01 Sep 2016 17:13

Firstly congrats on the outstanding times - super impressive stuff!

Secondly, great thread with some great idea's - I really like the captains idea, I've said it before and am as much a culprit for lack of info as anyone, but racing with people in the same colours is a lot more fun than solo's.

2017 could be a right hoot!
Cheers,

Stu

It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Strava - http://www.strava.com/athletes/white_stuart
Facebook - Barry Fight - www.facebook.com/barry.fight
Email - Stulottie@gmail.com
Text/Whatsapp - 07929 612359

IanT

Post by IanT » 01 Sep 2016 20:18

Agree, great ideas, hats off to Jess for volunteering for the TT role.[/quote]

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 02 Sep 2016 19:05

This is just the sort of response I was hoping for with my much earlier post in August. Some excellent ideas. I am also firmly in the 'go for it Jess' camp. As far as the 'events to enter in advance' comment from John, if we had a weekly Racing message board start point, similar to the weekly club run start point, that said something like
Events entered,
Events I am thinking of entering
Event results

Then people could PM or comment openly re joining in, supporting or congrats.

Whatever way it goes a lot of the people that use this board do so as observers and for info. Notice how many views are indicated for some topics compared to the contributors. Also it is a record of what is and has happened that can be easily accessed. You can look up all the club runs and see where they went and who went in Chronological order. Facebook and twitter would be excellent support mechs's for the message board but not for direct replacement. (Or is that just the plea of an old git?) No matter what happens it looks to be a bumper year for racing activity and you never know, people out there may decide to join in. Only a short time ago we didn't have John, Xavier or Jess. Congrats to you all. (And I haven't even mentioned the old ones like Simon and Steve going faster and faster).

Dave