Club champs hillclimb question

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

Lapin

Club champs hillclimb question

Post by Lapin » 05 Sep 2016 18:06

Hey all,

I'm new to this (only joined a few months back) and would like to have a crack on Winwood Heath road on the 18th - what do I need to know / do as a first time participant of a club TT?

I know the area well but where do we usually meet and at what time?

Cheers,
Dave

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 05 Sep 2016 18:52

You just need to turn up with £3 in your pocket, sign on...then slog your guts out for 5mins (ish). Meet up is at the bottom of winwoodheath rd 30mins before the start time, which is 10am.

I'll be half way up taking photo's, so put your best pain face on... :shock:

Lapin

Post by Lapin » 05 Sep 2016 19:01

Almost too easy...

Look forward to cracking the whip with everyone! I'm guessing its a staggered start seeing as its such a short run?

Cheers,
Dave

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 05 Sep 2016 19:24

There are one-minute intervals between riders in all club TTs (although a bunch race up there sounds fun!).

Tim

Post by Tim » 05 Sep 2016 23:48

This event was my first contact with the club in September 2009 or 10. I joined just to do it, not realising you didn't need to! You just turn up with £3. I drove there, with my father in law and 1 year old in tow and bike in the boot. We drove down it and around the lanes as were early, that was my warm up. Through the fog near the bottom a large animal ran out in front of us that we narrowly missed, a large wild hog! We parked up behind another car at the bottom. A bloke in front of us got out of his car and lifted out the back an oldish looking bike with no gears. I thought how's he gonna get up that hill with one gear? my father in law who at the time new 100% more than me about the sport said "he knows what he's doing!". That bloke was a certain Mr Hitchcock who won the hill climb trophy, 9th time in a row or something, in a time 25% or about a minute faster than me! I've not done it since. The baby who was oblivious to my suffering now wants to do it himself this year! Every member should race it at least once, like the Little Mountain Time Trial. Whether it takes you three or thirteen minutes it doesn't matter. Maybe see you there...
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

Tim

Post by Tim » 05 Sep 2016 23:52

I'm taking every opportunity to plug so this year also, you must do the track champs the day before! All welcome and there's a road bike time trial so you can just do that if the track/fixed gear doesn't appeal. Kids welcome too to race or just support as well, if you have any!
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667