K8 10T

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

K8 10T

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 30 Mar 2017 23:14

In the 1960s this course was used for Worcestershire CA 10s and 15s.I see that there is a currently approved club 10 course,straight out and back with an island turn.Yet no events are held on it.Is there a reason why it is not used?
It seems to me that it reasonably near to Beacon area,is simple to marshall and as a standard distance would be more meaningful than the hotchpotch of distances used currently for club events.

Takes cover!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 31 Mar 2017 08:43

If I recall, it was unpopular with participants.

It was used for club time trials until a few years ago. The Wyre Forest CRC continue to use the route on a weekly basis.

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 31 Mar 2017 09:01

The northern end of the course is quite a narrow road in parts and it's fairly busy, meaning car drivers get frustrated and pull close passes...making it dangerous and not pleasant for competitors. Also as the cars stack up behind a rider, looking for a passing spot, it can mean a faster rider behind gets caught up in traffic.

snailmale

Post by snailmale » 01 Apr 2017 12:48

The road was 'improved', some years ago,to make it safer, with hatchings in places preventing overtaking. I used to marshal some events there, and i think the consensus was that the improvements had actually made itmore dangerous for time'trialling.

A far cry from the 1950's when the A449 was a single carriageway and the 25 turn was a dead round a marshal standing in the middle of the road.
It is better to be interesting rather than exact

Patch

Post by Patch » 01 Apr 2017 20:12

Also our Wednesday eve events conflict with Wyre Forest events. Personally I rather liked the course but there you go.
Patch

Les Ladbury

Post by Les Ladbury » 08 Apr 2017 09:24

snailmale wrote:The road was 'improved', some years ago,to make it safer, with hatchings in places preventing overtaking. I used to marshal some events there, and i think the consensus was that the improvements had actually made itmore dangerous for time'trialling.

A far cry from the 1950's when the A449 was a single carriageway and the 25 turn was a dead round a marshal standing in the middle of the road.
Alan,
"Standing in the middle of the road" and "dead" seem rather apt with today's traffic conditions.
Les