Positioning advice

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

gavhg

Positioning advice

Post by gavhg » 24 Apr 2017 15:54

Hi all. I attended the excellent session at Halesowen with Jessica and Xavier, the end result being a good aero position on my TT bike. However when on the turbo or out on the road I felt that I just wasn't getting enough power out through my legs as they felt a bit cramped up.

Since then I have raised the saddle by maybe 5mm and I feel that I am able to put out more power in a comfortable sustainable manner. A consequence of this, experienced at the weekend on a ride out, is that my lower body has tilted up in relation to my head position and I am struggling keeping my head up viewing the medium-long distance ahead of me.

In theory if I were to raise my pads by the same amount as the saddle raise would that put my body back into a similar aero position as before with the new benefit of my legs being more comfortable/powerful?

Thanks,

Gavin

ps as an aside when I pushed myself in the aero position I achieved a fair few Strava PBs and 2 top 10s!
Pedalling with 3 kidneys (only 1 working)
GB Transplant Cycling Team

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 24 Apr 2017 17:23

Can't you raise the stem using headset spacers or flipping it over instead Gavin? Raising pads with spacers would work but aero extensions would need to be raised same amount to match. Best advice would be to measure & record accurately your position before you start tinkering, that way you can always revert back if it goes wrong.

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 24 Apr 2017 23:44

Hi Gavin, sorry for the delay, I've just replied to your Facebook message :)

gavhg

Post by gavhg » 05 May 2017 11:35

Thanks all for the advice. I've put in a 3mm spacer - it's all I could manage. I'll see how I get on next Wednesday!
Pedalling with 3 kidneys (only 1 working)
GB Transplant Cycling Team