March TT report

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

JessRJ

March TT report

Post by JessRJ » 11 Apr 2018 20:25

After a cold and snowy January and February, we were all hoping for a sunny March to get out in skinsuits for the first time this year. Unfortunately it was not to be, with Beacon RCC riders racing in rain, hail, snow and wind throughout March. Hero points for the month go to the organisers, marshals and timekeepers of the Beacon club TT a couple of weeks ago, in which a single rider turned up and raced in the pouring rain!

So far nine riders have points in the club TT handicap league with Neil Orchard currently topping the leaderboard - Ian Taylor and Keith Adcock hot on his heels. After the first three races, there is a bit of a break before club TTs start again in earnest on 5th May with the 25 mile K34/25. It is a nice straightforward course for anyone thinking about giving TTs a go this year.

Simon Dighton has been keeping Beacon RCC in the news with a 10th place in the Wrekinsport CC Hilly 18 getting him into the Cycling Weekly results round-up. Simon finished 4th vet, and just 7 seconds off prize money. The winner of the race, Ben Healy, took the win and the course record – his time was four minutes ahead of his nearest competitor! Watch out for Ben at the Beacon Little Mountain TT this weekend…

Simon had a few thoughts about the start of the season this year: “I always find it tricky at the start of the season to know which events to aim for. This year I have decide to give the 100 a miss - makes training much more fun, not missing those solo 6 hour rides and particularly grateful this year when one looks at the weather we have had. I have instead decided to target some of the national VTTA events (managed a 14th in the 100 last year and 24th in the 30). The VTTA is a great way of having some times to aim for when one hits that dreaded 40 figure - all times are handicapped by age so always a new target to aim for and opens up comparisons with others”.

Dan Newns, Gemma Johnson and Simon all raced in a Malvern 10 mile course in March, with all three posting good times despite the rolling course and cold conditions – well done to all.

The RTTC Classic Series kicked off in March (there are six races in total from March – June, mostly hilly, non-standard distance races). The series includes our very own Beacon Little Mountain TT, which as well as being a standalone race, is the third round of the Classic Series and an important one for anyone hoping to do well overall in the series. The first round was the Buxton Mountain TT – two laps of an 11 mile circuit for the women and vets, and three laps for the senior men. Ian Taylor, Keith Adcock, Simon Dighton and I raced in the women and vets race, while Dave McCann had the pleasure of three laps of the super hilly course. A strong attendance from team Beacon, but mechanical issues for Simon, Ian and I meant that we each lost over a minute (4-5 mins for Ian and Simon) relocating chains back to where they belonged. Dave took three minutes off his time from last year, a great result!

The second round of the classic series was down in the south of the New Forest. Simon and I both raced this event, which was a flat but technical course (made more so with four cattle grids per lap and donkeys and ponies aimlessly wandering around the lanes as we raced past). Wet conditions made the cattle grids an interesting proposition, so there were a few cautious moments in the race. Simon came in 14th vet, against strong competition, and I was 2nd woman by 7 seconds.

Now into April and next up this Sunday is the Beacon Little Mountain TT – there are twelve Beacon riders racing in the women and vets’ race (two women and ten vets) and four in the senior men’s race. A very hilly, 37 miles / 59.5km race, including Ankerdine, Stanford Bank and the infamous Shelsley Walsh hill climb at the end will make for some excellent pain faces for spectators to peruse! For those who haven’t been to Shelsley Walsh before, it is a fantastic venue – for any family and friends supporting there is a café and seating part way along the final climb. See you there!