April - May TT report

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

JessRJ

April - May TT report

Post by JessRJ » 27 May 2018 21:19

The time trialling season started to ramp up in April and May, with Beacon RCC riders competing in the huge variety of club and open events in Midland district and further afield.

The highlight of April was our very own Beacon Little Mountain TT, a tough course but brilliantly organised by the Beacon’s John Hitchcock and a multitude of Beacon volunteers. For the second year running, the race finished at the top of Shelsley Walsh hill climb, a closed road hill used principally for motor car racing (https://www.shelsleywalsh.com). After the steep slopes of Stanford Bank and Ankerdine and already completing 58km of TT racing, you reach the bottom of the Shelsley Walsh hill, which climbs for 1,000 yards at an average gradient of 11%. At the finish line at the top was the welcome sight of Alan Weaver waiting to catch riders toppling from their bicycles. He was heard by more than one person saying “I was knackered just cycling the 1,000 yards up here to marshal”. Well done to the twelve Beacon riders who raced this year! For anyone who needs a little more persuading to have a go at the LMTT next year: "If there was a list of 100 British time trials you must ride before you die, Beacon Roads Cycling Club's Little Mountain Time Trial would be pretty high on it" – BikeRadar.

Beacon club TTs continued at pace into April and May, with the start of Wednesday evening TTs. There are a few riders in close competition for top spot on the Beacon handicap rankings but everything still to play for! Club TTs are great training for anyone who hasn’t tried one before – a nice sunny ride out to the start, a short(ish!) effort, then a pootle home. Ideal for anyone working on building fitness, or if you just want to see the lovely faces of the Beacon guys and girls once more each week. Thank you to Martin McGowan, the time trial secretary who is there every week organising the club TTs, from everyone who has taken part in a club TT this year

Further success for Simon Dighton in May, as he broke the Beacon veteran men’s record for 10 miles with a seriously rapid 20.55 at the vets national championship event, taking 38 seconds off his previous club record. Gemma Johnson also did a great ride in the Royal Sutton CC charity 10 mile TT with 23.07, to come 3rd and complete a strong podium for the women in the event.

Simon and I are continuing to defend Beacon’s position in the RTTC classic series, of which the Beacon Little Mountain TT is the 3rd of six rounds. Rounds four and five fell in May – round four around Loch Leven between Glencoe and Kinlochleven (just the eight hour drive from Birmingham for a 45 minute race…I’m sure it’s worth it). A beautiful course, with mountains to the right and a drop off to the loch below on the left, Simon placed 10th vet and I was 3rd lady. Round five was today, on a course near Penrith. It was a beautifully sunny day (sorry Birmingham, I hear it’s been just a little bit wet down here today!) with a tough, hilly and twisty course. Simon flew around to place 5th vet and I was 2nd lady. We’re both on track to place well overall in our categories, putting Beacon RCC near the top of the overall series leaderboard.

In April and May there were two successful training sessions at Halesowen outdoor velodrome for this year’s Silverstone 9-up team time trial. There will be 27 Beacon riders competing in this year’s race on Friday 15th June which is becoming a bit of a Beacon annual tradition – two teams of nine in 2017, three teams in 2018…can we make it four in 2019?? If anyone is passing by Silverstone race track (junction 15a of the M1) on the 15th June, around 5.30-9pm, and fancies stopping by to say hello and cheer, you would be very welcome indeed.

The second Beacon open event of the year, the Janet Kelly memorial 10 mile TT, is on 17th June. To feel a warm glow inside, you can volunteer to be a marshal, pusher-offer, car park attendant or first thing before the event helping to put signs out. You will be rewarded with one of Gary Mackintosh’s famous hot dogs back at the HQ and the sight of the man himself in a chef hat and pinny. If you are able to help out, please let Dave Cole know here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8637. Entries for the race close on 5th June – for the men’s race, enter here: https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/16430 and for the women’s, it is here: https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/16432). You can even race on a tandem if you fancy it! (https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/16431).

As always, if anyone fancies giving TTs a go and wants to know a bit more about them, just let me know or come along to any of the club TTs (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8508) - you would be very welcome indeed :)