Road Bikes and TT's

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

Paul Gething

Road Bikes and TT's

Post by Paul Gething » 11 Apr 2022 16:01

I was having a look at the Beacon regs for the up coming K36/4.5 series of TT's and see that the wheel depth is limited to 50mm. I then was looking at the Janet Kelly Memorial TT and Road Bikes can have up to 90mm. Is that an oversight on Beacons part, having different specs for Road Bikes or should they be the same?

Most other series like this run either 60 or 90mm...BMCR run 60's for all their series, Aerocoash 90's for theirs. I run Zipp 404 which are 60mm so cannot enter the Beacon Road Bike category as I won't be buying a set of 50's for three TT's.....But I will enter the JK Road Bike TT.

Can you simplify the Road Bike specs please and not have differing ones for different TT's.

I won't be troubling the Timekeepers too much, they will probably need a calendar rather than a stop watch, but it would be nice to have some consistency.

Gemma_j1983

Re: Road Bikes and TT's

Post by Gemma_j1983 » 12 Apr 2022 12:50

Hi Paul,

The open events follow the AeroCoach rules, last year the clubs events were also following the same rules.

However this years there is a different TT sec for club events, and so the rules are different. And all in all let’s face it, not a lot of people check unless it for a national event, and even then checking is limited.

Wouldn’t dream of asking you to buy new wheels but if you have non deep section wheels you could always use those for the Club TTs. I’m not too sure it’s worth getting worked up about tbh but you could always contact George Lazenby and query with him.

Gemma - open event organiser.

George L

Post by George L » 12 Apr 2022 19:59

Hi Paul

Don’t worry would love to see you Wednesday evening , good call zipp 404 popular wheel and 60mm deep.

I will amend the rules to 60mm . I don’t agree with 90mm deep , the whole idea of a road bike event should be to even things up.

Thanks for your feedback

George

Paul Gething

Post by Paul Gething » 13 Apr 2022 16:59

Thanks George, the re-writing means that Beacon has the same regs as Redditch PCC, Stratford CC, Solihull CC and BMC :D

snailmale

Post by snailmale » 16 Apr 2022 10:39

Oh for the old days, when the only decision you had to make for a TT was whether to ride fixed or gears <@>

So glad I'm old!
It is better to be interesting rather than exact

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 16 Apr 2022 19:30

Oh for the even older days when then only decision was what size fixed gear to choose!