Club TT Sat Apr 20 we now have a Timekeeper

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

David Cole

Club TT Sat Apr 20 we now have a Timekeeper

Post by David Cole » 16 Apr 2013 17:30

Saturday 20th April 2013 12.0 K35/6G x2 14:00:00 2 Circuits of 6 Mile

We do not have a timekeeper for the above event and unfortunately I will be away.

SHOULD WE CANCEL THIS EVENT

Dave
Last edited by David Cole on 19 Apr 2013 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Patch

Post by Patch » 17 Apr 2013 22:31

Does anybody want to have a go I'm sure no one would give them a hard time if it went wrong. I'd rather ride but if no one else wants to volunteer to have a crack at timekeeping I will give it a go.
Patch

dweben

Post by dweben » 17 Apr 2013 22:51

I'll give it a go. Never done it before so might go horribly wrong. I've ridden the course in the past (my first TT!) so at least know where the start/finish is. ;)

Who keeps all the numbers? Could do with a proper stopwatch instead of my phone too I imagine

Paul

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 17 Apr 2013 23:19

I have the stopwatches
But I will be away after tomorrow
Dave
David Cole

dweben

Post by dweben » 17 Apr 2013 23:53

Feel free to pm me your address and I'll pop over tomorrow night to pick stuff up?

Paul

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 18 Apr 2013 02:14

You might like to look on the CTT website for Guidance notes for Timekeepers. Play with the watch(es) before the event to make sure you know how not to inadvertently stop the watch rather than the lap timer.Take more than one writing implement with you.Try to get a recorder to record the numbers of finishers in sequence whilst you concentrate on the times-this is useful if several riders finish close together.Times should be rounded up to the next whole second officially,but as this is your first attempt and is a club event I would ignore fractions of a second.
I hope there are no late starters to complicate things! Good luck.

Patch

Post by Patch » 18 Apr 2013 06:31

Brilliant Paul. I had a look on the web to see how to do it. It doesn't look to hard. Seeing as you are doing it for the first time and have saved the day I'm sure no one will be anything other than supportive. Brian brings the numbers and does everything else so don't worry about that. I will get there early so see you there. Big thank you.
Patch

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 18 Apr 2013 08:57

Thanks for stepping in Paul.

As suggested by others, have a look at the CTT Guidance Note No. 7 (especially the bit about not letting dirty or untidy riders start), but his is what works for me:

As well as the stopwatches you need a clipboard, paper and pens.

Get to the start at least 15 minutes before the off.

Identify the start line from the course notes on the web site. If you're not sure, there will be someone there who knows. I keep thinking I could take some chalk to mark it, but I always forget.

Copy the names and numbers off the start list onto your timing sheet. Club TT numbers start from 11 for some reason I've never quite understood.

You need to start at the advertised time (2pm in this case) because some riders go off to warm up and use their own watches to know when to get back to the start.

Give an announcement at 10 minutes to go and 5 minutes to go.

Reset both stopwatches (one is the backup) and start them together at 1 minute to go.

Start the first rider (No 11) when the watch hits 1 minute, then each rider one minute intervals. When the rider is on the line I give 30 seconds and 15 second warnings, then count down 5-4-3-2-1-GO.

Fancy finger movements as seen on TV are optional.

It is the rider's responsibility to get to the line on time, if they miss their slot, they go to the back of the queue and the time difference is added.

When all riders are off, make your way to the finish line.

When each rider crosses the line, press the SPLIT button (do not press the STOP button, repeat, do NOT press the STOP button) and write down the rider's number.
Write the time down on your list. If 2 riders finish close together you may not have time to do this, just get the number and you can get the split off the stopwatch later.

When all finished, you can press the STOP button.

On the stopwatch you can scroll back through all the splits and check them against rider number.

Round up times to the nearest second - so 32 min 10.84 seconds is recorded as 32 min 11 seconds

Subtract the riders start time from the finish time. So if you started the first rider with 1 minute on the watch, subtract 1, and so on.

When you get home, put the results on the message board and Simon will apply the handicaps.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 19 Apr 2013 11:43

Paul
Thanks for doing the timekeeping tomorrow
Dave
David Cole

dweben

Post by dweben » 19 Apr 2013 23:31

Thanks for the tips. I shall practice push offs perhaps on some lucky bugger tomorrow! I'll have my partner along to help out.

No point with lap splits on this course? As I recall it goes under the start bridge so a bit inaccurate to do proper splits anyway.

Is Matt doing it?!? If so I hope it's snowing, foggy, raining, thunder, lightning, gales, more gales, hail, frogs... ;)

See you all there! :)

Cheers, Paul