To Weston and Back: "The Weston Run"

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

Philip Whiteman

To Weston and Back: "The Weston Run"

Post by Philip Whiteman » 18 Mar 2013 13:35

Welcome to Operation: Blame Alan Nicholls. A rather daft concept of riding from Birmingham to Weston Super Mare. This was annual event during the early Beacon days apart from we are no longer too soft/not daft enough to do it in February. The route is nominally 320km from Speeds Cycles in Bromsgrove with added distance for members riding the dog-leg from Birmingham.

See Alan's account of the Weston Run at http://snailmale-chezlescargot.blogspot ... aside.html

Interested parties to date:
updated 6th May

Keith Adcock
Clive Ansell - AUK DIY
George Barker
Andy Carter - AUK DIY
Laurence Cooley
Gary MacIntosh
Phil Field
Alistair Hey
Phil Richards
Ian Taylor
Nic Vipond
Neil Compton
Craig Walmsley
Alan Weaver - AUK DIY
Philip Whiteman - AUK DIY
Matt Regan
Paul Watkins
Ian Simpson
Chris Hudson
Martin McGowan
Darren Garrey
Roy Bishop (possible) - AUK DIY

Any more? Please leave a message here if you are interested or change your mind

As many will know, the Weston ride is steeped in Beacon tradition and history aside that we will not be riding this in February! The route will shadow the M5 along quieter sections of the A38. Some parts will be unavoidably busy around Gloucester and near Weston. For those people that are interested but not sure about their ability to complete then you have the option of rail stations en-route.

The Route:

There will be two departure points: Black Horse at 6am; Speeds Cycles, Bromsgrove at 6.30am. Returning late evening, so lights will be necessary.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=504674

Feedstops

I anticipate at least two stops in each direction. The following locations are available for us to choose on the day:

Outbound
- Strensham Services South (37km) or Tewkesbury Costa Coffee (45km)
- Highfield GC (76km) Open 9-5.30. http://www.highfieldgardenworld.co.uk/
- Almondsbury GC (108km) http://www.parkgardencentres.co.uk/almondsbury/
- Gordano Services (125km)
- Strawberry Line Cafe, Yatton Station (142km)
- Weston 158km

Return:
- Gordano Services
- Almondsbury GC shuts 4.30pm
- Michael Wood Services (off route – adding 3km)
- Highfield GC shuts 5.30pm
- Gloucester Sainsburys
- Tewkesbury Costa (shuts 7.30pm) or the Coop Supermarket
- Strensham Services (south)
- Tesco Express, Droitwich

What to bring

-lights
-spare layer for late evening/early morning temperatures
-tube of sudocream or equivalent for saddle sores
-cash or card for rail fare if required
-emergency food supplements
-if not using GPS, sheets from a road map may be useful as a back up
-gel mitts will be useful to reduce handle bar fatigue
-mobile phone
-usual spare tubes, etc
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 02 Jun 2013 20:47, edited 24 times in total.

Alistair Hey

Post by Alistair Hey » 18 Mar 2013 16:44

note to self:

START TRAINING!!!!

Alistair Hey

Post by Alistair Hey » 18 Mar 2013 18:21

Thankfully, 2013 thinking is different :)

IanT

Post by IanT » 18 Mar 2013 19:30

Splendid work Philip, I'm looking forward to it already. It has all the makings of an unforgettable and not to be missed Beacon caper! Alan is right, you don't train for such a thing, you simply endure it.

matthew

Post by matthew » 18 Mar 2013 21:42

You can put me down for it thanks.
m regan

dweben

Post by dweben » 18 Mar 2013 21:56

Ah frog it, if Matt's going then I can't not not fail to go. Hope that was the right number of double negatives for my benefit...

.. oh wait!

Paul

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 18 Mar 2013 22:15

Weather & fitness permitting I'd like to give this a go, thanks Phil.

keith

Post by keith » 19 Mar 2013 03:17

where are the A and B runs going the next day ? would not want to miss those either

Clive

Post by Clive » 19 Mar 2013 08:40

I would like to join, but cannot commit at the moment as I don't what my work schedule will be.

I would do it as a 300km DIY audax, possibly starting from Wythall and joining up in Bromsgove, Droitwich or Tewkesbury.

Also, it coincides with Mark Rigbys popular The Silk Run 100km audax. not sure if folk would want to do both? (not on the same day :) )

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 19 Mar 2013 10:18

DISCUSSIONS ON TRAINING HAVE BEEN SPLIT FROM THIS THREAD. Please see http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/message_boa ... php?t=5510

Clive

Post by Clive » 19 Mar 2013 17:46

on 1st june sunrise = 0449 and sunset =2108. anyone up for a 4 am start?

Alistair Hey

Post by Alistair Hey » 19 Mar 2013 18:59

at least its fairly flat

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 20 Mar 2013 09:15

Clive wrote:on 1st june sunrise = 0449 and sunset =2108. anyone up for a 4 am start?
Personally speaking, I am not enthused by very early starts. However, I could poll people nearer the time and will go with the flow.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 20 Mar 2013 09:49

Clive wrote:on 1st june sunrise = 0449 and sunset =2108. anyone up for a 4 am start?
Not to sure about 4am, but I could do 5am?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 20 Mar 2013 09:50

Clive wrote:Also, it coincides with Mark Rigbys popular The Silk Run 100km audax. not sure if folk would want to do both? (not on the same day :) )
Oh dam, I have entered that again this year already. :cry:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

George

Post by George » 20 Mar 2013 10:35

A 4am start doesn't much appeal to me. It implies getting up at 2am, which effectively means no sleep the night before the event.

Also, I can't see the point: why start in the dark in order to avoid finishing in the dark?

Besides, the originally suggested 6am start allows roughly 15 hours of daylight, which equates to an overall average of >21kph, or 13 hours' riding at roughly 24.5kph (>15mph) plus 2 hours resting/eating. I reckon everyone on the list is capable of that ... in other words of starting at 6 and getting back in the daylight.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 20 Mar 2013 11:02

George wrote:A 4am start doesn't much appeal to me. It implies getting up at 2am, which effectively means no sleep the night before the event.

Also, I can't see the point: why start in the dark in order to avoid finishing in the dark?

Besides, the originally suggested 6am start allows roughly 15 hours of daylight, which equates to an overall average of >21kph, or 13 hours' riding at roughly 24.5kph (>15mph) plus 2 hours resting/eating. I reckon everyone on the list is capable of that ... in other words of starting at 6 and getting back in the daylight.
Yer i agree. If i was going to attempt this i'd want as much sleep as possible beforehand.

AJC

Post by AJC » 20 Mar 2013 22:08

Count me in - 6am start from the Black Horse plenty early enough!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 21 Mar 2013 07:37

Andy and Neil, thanks for your expression of interest at joining this event. Alan, are you sure you would not like to change your mind? It would be great to have you along with the ride.

Having heard the feedback; 6am it is from the Black Horse and 6.30 from Bromsgrove Speeds.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 21 Mar 2013 17:12

A couple of questions:-

1) Is this going to be restricted to Beacon club members only, as I know of others that have seen this thread that would be interested in joining us?

2) If we are to have the services of Bob and his camper van, then its only fair to have a 'entry fee' to cover fuel costs and time etc

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 21 Mar 2013 18:59

AlanW wrote:A couple of questions:-

1) Is this going to be restricted to Beacon club members only, as I know of others that have seen this thread that would be interested in joining us?

2) If we are to have the services of Bob and his camper van, then its only fair to have a 'entry fee' to cover fuel costs and time etc
In terms of answering the two above questions:-

1. Quite happy for a few people to join us but I do not want to be landed with organising yet another mass participation event by accident. As it stands, I have identified cafe stops but have no knowledge on their ability to handle large groups. Whilst many riders will understand that this is an informal ride, all will need to know that they are riding as private individuals on the public highway and I assume no responsibilities.

2. I agree with your suggestion in connection to Bob. Bob's support would be excellent but the cafe stop plan does provide a feasible alternative if he is unavailable. I know that Bob kindly made a provisional offer some time ago on the message board but I have not actually sought to find out whether he is available on this day.

Can I assume that you will be joining us rather than riding the Tewkesbury audax?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 21 Mar 2013 19:35

Philip Whiteman wrote: Can I assume that you will be joining us rather than riding the Tewkesbury audax?
I wouldn't miss this for the world to be honest. That said, my missus is not very keen on me doing it, as the last time I rode it I ended up having a knee operation a number of weeks later. :shock:

bobg

camper van

Post by bobg » 21 Mar 2013 19:52

Philip, I had kept quiet on the camper van of late as the "event" seems to have grown rather quickly from a few to quite a lot. However i have no problem with supporting the event, apart from trying to cater for a large group. On the return particularly if the ride started to split up, by the time the last group had stopped and had a rest , and tea etc it may be difficult to move on to the next stop and get sorted in time for the leading group. The other problem could be that i can only get 6-7 people in the van at a time. I seem to be rambling a bit so hope that makes sense! So, as long as we can make it work i am still quite happy to help, i guess we all need to put our heads together and come up with a workable plan.
Regards Bob

keith

Post by keith » 22 Mar 2013 00:33

Given the tenacity of this years winter, does the panel envisage a gritted route

matthew

Post by matthew » 22 Mar 2013 07:15

keith wrote:Given the tenacity of this years winter, does the panel envisage a gritted route
yep straight down the m5 :lol:
m regan

Philip Whiteman

Re: camper van

Post by Philip Whiteman » 22 Mar 2013 13:24

bobg wrote:Philip, I had kept quiet on the camper van of late as the "event" seems to have grown rather quickly from a few to quite a lot. However i have no problem with supporting the event, apart from trying to cater for a large group. On the return particularly if the ride started to split up, by the time the last group had stopped and had a rest , and tea etc it may be difficult to move on to the next stop and get sorted in time for the leading group. The other problem could be that i can only get 6-7 people in the van at a time. I seem to be rambling a bit so hope that makes sense! So, as long as we can make it work i am still quite happy to help, i guess we all need to put our heads together and come up with a workable plan.
Regards Bob
Thanks Bob and I quite understand. I will give you a call.

bobg

Weston

Post by bobg » 23 Mar 2013 09:22

I was just thinking, this weekend is the ideal opportunity to get a taste of what the "proper" Weston and back was like. So you should all meet, on your bikes at the Black Horse at midnight tonight (no modern thermal clothing allowed) and just contemplate the next 15 hours or so! It could even be a condition of entry.

Philip Whiteman

Re: Weston

Post by Philip Whiteman » 23 Mar 2013 17:25

bobg wrote:I was just thinking, this weekend is the ideal opportunity to get a taste of what the "proper" Weston and back was like. So you should all meet, on your bikes at the Black Horse at midnight tonight (no modern thermal clothing allowed) and just contemplate the next 15 hours or so! It could even be a condition of entry.
Just approaching Gloucester on my way back north. Roads are bit cold and wet.

Ian

The Weston Run

Post by Ian » 24 Mar 2013 17:38

Hi all, new member, ridden out with Alan Weaver and group on a Saturday/Sunday. Weston run looks challenging & exciting so count me in. Based in Bromsgrove so Speeds @ 06:30 is ideal. Look forward to the ride, so long as the snow has gone by then!!!

Philip Whiteman

Re: The Weston Run

Post by Philip Whiteman » 25 Mar 2013 14:07

Eddy wrote:Hi all, new member, ridden out with Alan Weaver and group on a Saturday/Sunday. Weston run looks challenging & exciting so count me in. Based in Bromsgrove so Speeds @ 06:30 is ideal. Look forward to the ride, so long as the snow has gone by then!!!
Ian, welcome aboard.

Have you received counselling with regards to riding with Alan?

Ian

The Weston Run

Post by Ian » 25 Mar 2013 20:36

Cheers, no counselling but plenty of WD40 & duct tape I believe!!!

AlanW

Re: The Weston Run

Post by AlanW » 25 Mar 2013 21:08

Eddy wrote:Cheers, no counselling but plenty of WD40 & duct tape I believe!!!
That sounds so very wrong.... :shock:

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 07 Apr 2013 16:26

Another person on the list is Chris Hudson. Any more?

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 07 Apr 2013 19:03

Hi Phil, can you add my name to your list? I posted earlier on this thread that I'd like to give this a go. Many thanks, Martin.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Apr 2013 11:54

NOTICE FOR AUK MEMBERS

Can the following people please confirm whether they wish to ride this event as an audax Group DIY please? In plain English, your participation on this club run will also be registered as a 300km audax ride, assuming you complete the route and within time.

Andy Carter 4083 (already confirmed)
Alan Weaver 5338 (already confirmed)
Clive Ansell 5783 (already confirmed)

I will need to notify the AUK DIY organiser within the next couple of weeks in term of intention to ride and to provide details on the control points. The cost is £4 per person to enter to cover the cost of the Brevet Cards and postage, just pay me on the day.

Only AUK members can register for a DIY audax. So, if you are an AUK member but not listed above then please let me know. If you are not a member of AUK but wish to register this ride as an audax, you will need to join first.
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 30 Apr 2013 10:38, edited 2 times in total.

paul.farrell

Post by paul.farrell » 08 Apr 2013 18:42

wishing you all the very best of luck on your adventure.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 16 Apr 2013 17:51

only 7 weeks to go till Weston...gulp. Training in terms of longer runs is being stepped up now, but Phil (and other long-distance regulars), what advice would you give for the post 10-hour fatigue and motivation loss?

...and by the way, can you assure everybody that we're finishing on the prom, and that we don't have to touch the surf, as that might add another 5 miles.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 17 Apr 2013 12:08

WorcsPhil wrote:only 7 weeks to go till Weston...gulp. Training in terms of longer runs is being stepped up now, but Phil (and other long-distance regulars), what advice would you give for the post 10-hour fatigue and motivation loss?

...and by the way, can you assure everybody that we're finishing on the prom, and that we don't have to touch the surf, as that might add another 5 miles.
With fatigue, this may be caused by setting off at a too-higher pace in the early stages. For Weston, I am suggesting no more than 16mph average which may feel slow for a flat run but it will pay-off over a longer distance.

Plus the usuals: eat small amounts frequently; eat high carbs for two days prior to the event; drink plenty and frequently.

Avoid caffeine in the week prior to ride in order that you can benefit from a caffeine boost in the latter stages of a ride. In order to avoid gut rot on a long ride, the cause of many problems, do not feast on energy drinks or gels alone.

Do not think of the ride as 320km in length. Picture each part stage by stage. So on the way back, make your each rest stop your goal. Rest and the reset your goal for the next stage. Think of post Tewkesbury as the homeward stage with a only 2-3 hours of riding left to go.

If you feel genuinly knackered and there are other stronger riders within the group, make you apologies for not leading and draft within the group.

After the actual ride, protein drink immediately afterwards, stretching and use of compression tights if you own any (I use 2XU). The day after, a recovery ride of gentle high cadence cycling for around 1-1.5 hours.

Personally, I would advise against anyone falling for the traditional fish and chip meal at Weston. That will be a disaster for your guts and energy levels on the homeward bound journey.

To reduce fatigue, I will suggest that we all take turns on the front for a period, say 10 minutes each where practical. This will be even more important should we encounter shocking head winds en-route.

Sorry, but we must touch the sea. If the tide is out, you will have to walk through gloopy mud. *...)

darrengarey

Post by darrengarey » 21 Apr 2013 22:16

Count me in, as long as I stay upright!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 30 Apr 2013 11:33

Dear All

NEWS UPDATE

1. Practice Ride
Greg Thompson will be leading a 100 in 8 ride on 26th May as a means of practice. This should provide a nice typical pace with included stops. I will give my apologies due to a scheduled ride taking place in the Cairngorms that weekend.

2. Audax UK Members riding the route as a DIY event
The route has now been approved by AUK as a DIY event. This means that the route is now fixed. Each participant will need enter personally online with the appropriate control details. I will circulate this information to each individual via e-mail. As a guesstimate, I will be charging £3.50 to cover the cost of the Brevet Card and associated postage. To date, I have four confirmed DIY'ers with a possible addition.

3. Entrants
If your name is not on the list then please let me know. It will be helpful to understand how many participants are expected in order that I can make arrangements with cafes southbound. If the size is too large then Michael Wood Services may become an option including an added 3km to each direction.

Keith Adcock
Clive Ansell - AUK DIY
George Barker
Andy Carter - AUK DIY
Laurence Cooley
Gary MacIntosh
Phil Field
Alistair Hey
Phil Richards
Ian Taylor
Nic Vipond
Neil Compton
Craig Walmsley
Alan Weaver - AUK DIY
Philip Whiteman - AUK DIY
Matt Regan
Paul Watkins
Ian Simpson
Chris Hudson
Martin McGowan
Darren Garrey
Roy Bishop (possible) - AUK DIY

4. A371 into and out of Weston
This is potentially the most hazardous section of the route with heavy traffic. It is only five miles in length but I suggest that the group splits into sub-groups.

5. Time limit in Weston
In order to avoid unnecessary delays in returning. I suggest a stop of no more than 1 hour. Any further delays may also void the attempt for those riding an audax schedule.

6. Terms and Conditions Apply
- The event is not a race or trial of speed.
- You are expected to follow the rules of the road and show consideration to other road users.
- The route is on open public roads.
- You should prepare by studying the route.
- The route is not waymarked /marshalled.
- You are responsible for your safety/conduct.
- Some routes may be arduous.
- There is no rescue service.
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 07 May 2013 09:04, edited 4 times in total.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 30 Apr 2013 15:22

TIPS

Ensure that the bike is full working order. Any clicks or minor problems with the bike may become a major headache over a long day.

Apply Chamois Cream on your pad the night before. A dry pad at 300km will result in a baboon's bottom.

Be judicious with gels and avoid consumption to avoid gut-rot.

Use electrolyte tablets as opposed to carb-filled drinks to over gut-rot.

Good food such as a sandwich will be useful en-route. There will be plenty of places to stop.

SPD MTB pedals might become uncomfortable over the period of a long day. The small area of plate in relation to the surface of your feet can result in pain. Alternatives such as Look or similar types of pedal system may be better.

Correct saddle height will reduce back ache over a long period.

Race frames of 23 degrees are acceptable but audax or touring geometries will provide greater comfort. Eg. a Van Nick Yukon. Don't ride your time trial bike!

Sleep well during the 48 hours before the event.

Feast on high carb meals during the 48 hours before the event.

Light and GPS batteries: ensure they are charged. For GPS units, contained recharged batteries may be a problem unless you have an additional power source.

Carry a map sheet torn out of an old or cheap road map just in case. These can often be purchased for a couple of quid from garage chains such as Tesco Express or Esso.

Be prepared to share time on the front assuming you have the energy.

Pace yourself at a steady speed during the day. 16mph/26kph is the suggested average subject to weather conditions.

Avoid caffeine during the preceding two weeks to gain the maximum benefit from a coffee on the return journey.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 30 Apr 2013 19:44

Put me on the list please Philip. If there is quite a large group on the day i may ride at my own pace off the back somewhat as the A38 isn't pleasant in a group as i have found on winter club runs to Worcester.

keith

Post by keith » 01 May 2013 12:51

Good Advice Phil, although I thought that Baboons Bottom was a real ale

Philmondo

Post by Philmondo » 01 May 2013 17:09

I fear that avoiding caffeine for two weeks would be more of a test of endurance than the event itself. I shall certainly take your advice re the chamois cream though.
I can gather all the news I need on the weather report.

Alistair Hey

Post by Alistair Hey » 01 May 2013 17:45

I fear that avoiding caffeine for two weeks would be more of a test of endurance than the event itself. I shall certainly take your advice re the chamois cream though.
+1.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 03 May 2013 10:53

I am seriously having to suggest, no more people please. It is great to have so many people enthusiastic to join this ride but the idea of twenty plus cyclists riding as a group will be unwieldy.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 03 May 2013 13:41

Philip Whiteman wrote:I am seriously having to suggest, no more people please. It is great to have so many people enthusiastic to join this ride but the idea of twenty plus cyclists riding as a group will be unwieldy.
While I do share your concerns Phil, I suspect that the group will fragment quite quickly into smaller groups. Unless your plan is to try and keep everyone as one?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 03 May 2013 13:54

AlanW wrote: Unless your plan is to try and keep everyone as one?
That is indeed the plan as stated from the outset. Think of it as an extra long club run.

Tim

Post by Tim » 06 May 2013 09:42

Im most probably not now going to do this. Don't think it's wise to do with only 50mile rides in my legs.

Plus theres a race in Lichfield that day and so gonna go for the 50mins of pain over 14hours!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 06 May 2013 13:43

Tim, thanks for letting me now.

This vacancy now opens a space for Gary Mac to enter. According to Chris Hudson he is more than interested. Without Gary, the ride won't be the same.

Overall, I am happy to accept one or two more but do no wish to be overwhelmed.