2013 Giro (spoiler)

Discussion about professional racing
rdleaper

2013 Giro (spoiler)

Post by rdleaper » 04 May 2013 22:00

Good start for Cav, though not so for Millar! Not sure if I've seen a crash splitting the peloton like that with only about a dozen left in the front group, but surprised it doesn't happen more often when we do get crashes.

Time bonuses could make things interesting as maybe Cav, with his 20-second winner's bonus could still be in pink after the TTT and beyond... Oh actually maybe not with cat 2 climbs in stages 3 and 4 :( It'll be interesting to see whether it's sprinters, GC contenders or breakaways that win out in those 2.

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 05 May 2013 07:29

Pleased for Cav. He might not be everyone's favourite, but he seems to genuinely appreciate his team mates, is straightforward and calls a spade an f'ing shovel! I'm sure he won't be in the Maglia Rosa for long, but it would be great to see him in the Rossa at the finish.

That would be incredible, to coin a phrase.

Tim

Post by Tim » 05 May 2013 09:07

Cav showed yet again how he is the best in the business. Are there time bonuses available in today's ttt?

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 05 May 2013 14:35

I think the time bonuses are only available in the road stages.

Kev C

Spoiler

Post by Kev C » 11 May 2013 17:23

Was that a Giro wining ride from Nibali today? Not sure that I can realistically see Wiggins clawing that back from him? He doesn't look comfortable and with the rumours of stomach bugs abound it makes you wonder whether or not this will be his year. Looking at the overall standings, it seems Sky still have it all to do rather than taking the maglia rosa today and defending which seemed to be their plan. Sill it's a long way to go and with Henao and Uran in the top 10 of the GC who knows. Hats off to Dowsett on a top ride.
When my legs hurt, I say: "Shut up legs! Do what I tell you to do!" ~ Jens Voigt

Tim

Post by Tim » 12 May 2013 07:30

Yes it was from Nibali I believe. 8 uphill/mountain top finishes to go I think so I can't see Wiggins winning from here. The fall on Friday was a strange one, Nibalo fell and lost almost no time he was so quick getting back on, Wiggins was v slow getting back on (probably hurt more) but then I don't know why he descended so poorly/slowly.

Brilliant from Dowsett

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 12 May 2013 09:07

Shame Wiggins has stopped talking to to journalists, it's part of his job and not very good for someone who works for a communications company.

Can't see him taking any time back from Nibali in the mountains and as usual, Evans is riding very intelligently.

Softish pedal for the next 2 weeks and ride the tour at full gas.....?

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 12 May 2013 09:53

Ed Moss wrote:Shame Wiggins has stopped talking to to journalists, it's part of his job and not very good for someone who works for a communications company.

Can't see him taking any time back from Nibali in the mountains and as usual, Evans is riding very intelligently.

Softish pedal for the next 2 weeks and ride the tour at full gas.....?
I wonder if it's down to Brailsford rather than Brad. Yep his chances of winning the Giro look slim but he should at least be aiming to overtake Evans and Gesink for 2nd, which isn't out of the question.

His very slow recovery from that crash was strange; obviously we can't tell from the other end of the TV but he didn't look injured. Whereas Sella recovered enough to fight his way back to Hansen, and Nibali (albeit and expert descender) recovered quickly too. I think Brad was just too cautious; something he can't afford to be in those situations if he wants to win more Grand Tours.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 17 May 2013 08:46

Conclusions so far, Wiggins descends like a tester and Evans is probably one of the best tactical riders of this generation.
If his form continues to improve he could give Nibali a good run, but can't see him winning looking at next weeks stages, ouch..

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 17 May 2013 09:47

Well Wiggins won't be winning it this year. Going to be interesting to see what happens now between Froome and Wiggins in the TDF.

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 17 May 2013 18:28

Ed Moss wrote:Conclusions so far, Wiggins descends like a tester and Evans is probably one of the best tactical riders of this generation.
If his form continues to improve he could give Nibali a good run, but can't see him winning looking at next weeks stages, ouch..
Lets not be too hasty, look what Cadel did to the all time legend climber andy schleck, brough back a 30- 40 second time gap on one of the hardest climbs in the world as well as slaughtering him in the TT.
It doesn't mean he can't do it to nibali in Italy !
Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Tim

Post by Tim » 23 May 2013 22:59

Anyone else thinking some of the Movistar team are on more than just 'pan y agua'?

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 24 May 2013 09:39

Tim wrote:Anyone else thinking some of the Movistar team are on more than just 'pan y agua'?
I don't know, but it sounds like Danilo Di Luca has been using more than what it says on his jersey - Acqua e Sapone. Apparently he told the press on Wednesday that "Doping is a weakness, period. But it's disappeared from cycling and other sports". What an idiot.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 24 May 2013 13:01

laurence_cooley wrote:
Tim wrote:Anyone else thinking some of the Movistar team are on more than just 'pan y agua'?
I don't know, but it sounds like Danilo Di Luca has been using more than what it says on his jersey - Acqua e Sapone. Apparently he told the press on Wednesday that "Doping is a weakness, period. But it's disappeared from cycling and other sports". What an idiot.
Could be the last of Di Luca as he'll face a lifetime ban (which, given he's 37, might be increased to 3 years lol). No idea about Movistar; prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt unless/until proved otherwise, though many others may not.

Looks like Nibali's sealed it then, especially with today's stage being cancelled and tomorrow's missing 3 of the 5 climbs. That might give Cav a shot at the maglia rossa though!

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 24 May 2013 17:26

One by one hopefully the "old" guard will be out of my sport..

The revised stage 20 looks interesting

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/ ... ced/266935.

About 100 miles non stop climbing, Cav will be enjoying himself.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 24 May 2013 22:46

At first I thought it was quite flat - then I reloaded the page and saw the end! A day for the bus for Cav. Stage 21 will suit him better!

A shame we couldn't see some properly tough stages today/tomorrow, just for the spectacle if not to decide the GC. At least if we're keeping the uphill finish tomorrow we could see some action.

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 26 May 2013 19:04

Glad you can all watch it, articles on the bbc sport website is as good as it gets for me, Damn you ITV, why can't you sacrafice the indian premier league cricket footage and get the giro and vuelta instead!

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 26 May 2013 19:54

HAZBRO wrote:Glad you can all watch it, articles on the bbc sport website is as good as it gets for me, Damn you ITV, why can't you sacrafice the indian premier league cricket footage and get the giro and vuelta instead!
Try www.cyclingnews.com. Much better articles.

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 26 May 2013 20:05

Grogz wrote:Pleased for Cav...it would be great to see him in the Rossa at the finish.

That would be incredible, to coin a phrase.
It's a first, I'm happy my wish came true. :D

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 26 May 2013 20:28

Grogz wrote:
HAZBRO wrote:Glad you can all watch it, articles on the bbc sport website is as good as it gets for me, Damn you ITV, why can't you sacrafice the indian premier league cricket footage and get the giro and vuelta instead!
Try www.cyclingnews.com. Much better articles.
Or you can always subscribe to Eurosport Player online for around the price of a bacon sandwich at the The Kettle Sings. :)

dweben

Post by dweben » 26 May 2013 21:28

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 27 May 2013 00:56

dweben wrote:Harry...

http://cyclingtorrents.nl/
ahhhhhh, cheers paul! :)