To Weston and Back: "The Weston Run"

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

Patch

Post by Patch » 06 May 2013 22:48

Brilliant I'm sure he will be v pleased.
Patch

Philip Whiteman

BAIL OUT OPTIONS

Post by Philip Whiteman » 07 May 2013 11:23

Bail out options by rail for people struggling on their return journey. Last train times are shown for some stations:

TO BIRMINGHAM
Weston Super Mare~
Yatton~
Yate 21.04 #
Cam & Dursley 21.18 #
Gloucester 21.49
Ashchurch for Tewkesbury 21.57
Droitwich 22.55

~ change at Bristol TM
# change at Gloucester

TO BROMSGROVE
Weston Super Mare ~~
Yatton ~~
Yate 20.01 ^
Cam & Dursley 20.14 ^
Gloucester 21.07
Ashchurch 21.25

~~ requiring multiple changes at Bristol TM; Gloucester or Cheltenham; Worcester or Birmingham NS (enquire at point of departure or on train)
^ change at Worcester Shrub Hill

Rail enquiries 08547 48 49 50.

Please print off this message for your own record. The train times above are based upon National Rail's schedule and I cannot guarantee accuracy.

Train tickets using Worst Late Western are substantially cheaper if you truncate your journey at Worcester and cycle the remainder of the journey and/or purchase an onward ticket from Worcester to home. Through tickets can be expensive. Worst Late Western operate trains from stations to Worcester with London Midland from Worcester northwards. Most through trains from south of Worcester to Birmingham are operated by the more expensive Cross Country. Check for fares with National Rail.

Participants will need to establish their own way from the Weston Run route to the nearest station.

Options not shown above include the Shirehampton local service into Bristol (station is upstream from the Avon Bridge along the A4) or direct services from Bristol TM

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 07 May 2013 12:35

Was there any particular reason why Saturday was chosen and not Sunday?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 07 May 2013 12:37

Neil Compton wrote:Was there any particular reason why Saturday was chosen and not Sunday?
To allow people to recover in readiness for work on Monday. A late finish on a Sunday night would not be a great idea for those individuals starting work early on the following day. This is the very same reason why the Kidderminster Killer is held on a Saturday along with most other randonee distance events. Also, shops open for longer hours on a Saturday and they form an essential component for picking up supplies on the homeward leg.

Plus, it meets my preferences and I'm the organiser, so there!
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 07 May 2013 12:46, edited 5 times in total.

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 07 May 2013 12:38

Neil Compton wrote:Was there any particular reason why Saturday was chosen and not Sunday?
So you don't miss out on the club run on Sunday
Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 07 May 2013 12:57

Philip Whiteman wrote:
To allow people to recover in readiness for work on Monday. A late finish on a Sunday night would not be a great idea for those individuals starting work early on the following day. This is the very same reason why the Kidderminster Killer is held on a Saturday along with most other randonee distance events. Also, shops open for longer hours on a Saturday and they form an essential component for picking up supplies on the homeward leg.

Plus, it meets my preferences and I'm the organiser, so there!
Thats fair enough :)

I don't normally work Mondays but have just remembered i will be that week so i can have the Friday off which is when i start my trip. So yes Sunday wouldn't be good.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 07 May 2013 13:01

HAZBRO wrote:
So you don't miss out on the club run on Sunday
I'll be in bed catching up on my sleep, thats if i do the Weston run of course. Anything could happen between now and then and the weather might be crap. :wink:

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 07 May 2013 20:09

Count me in. I know I'm new but hopefully should be able to complete, got a 120 mile ride with work in a few weeks solo so give me a good idea.

snailmale

Post by snailmale » 08 May 2013 09:04

Or June chosen, in preference to February?
It is better to be interesting rather than exact

Alistair Hey

Post by Alistair Hey » 12 May 2013 17:13

i am going to have to drop out of this.

due to having more work on that expected. have not been on the bike in over a week and don't see myself having the time for at least 2 weeks more- therefore i won't be up to the distance.

Sorry- i was really looking forward to this.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 18 May 2013 18:47

Only two weeks to go.

As a warning, participants should carb feast 48 hours before hand and NOT drink any alcohol.

Philmondo

Post by Philmondo » 18 May 2013 18:55

Does no alcohol include red wine Phil? :wink:
I'm looking forward to the carb loading.
I can gather all the news I need on the weather report.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 20 May 2013 12:16

UPDATED LIST OF RIDERS

If your name is not on the list then please let me know. It will be helpful to understand how many participants are expected in order that I can make arrangements with cafes southbound.

Keith Adcock
Clive Ansell - AUK DIY
George Barker
Andy Carter - AUK DIY
Laurence Cooley
Gary MacIntosh
Phil Field
Phil Richards
Ian Taylor
Nic Vipond
Neil Compton
Craig Walmsley
Alan Weaver - AUK DIY
Philip Whiteman - AUK DIY
Matt Regan
Paul Watkins
Ian Simpson
Chris Hudson
Martin McGowan
Darren Garrey
Roy Bishop - AUK DIY
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 23 May 2013 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 20 May 2013 18:42

Phil,

Not that it really makes any difference unless people are following the .gpx file instead of using some common sense, but just have a quick look at the route around The Patchway area in Bristol.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Ian

Weston Run_Practice

Post by Ian » 20 May 2013 22:50

Hi Guys, any further details for the practice run on 26th, start location & time, proposed route etc.

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 20 May 2013 23:22

Hi Eddy. By the practice run on 26th I can only think you mean the extended club run of 100 miles. Meets at Black Horse Northfield at 8am for 8.15 depart, full details including proposed route at following post on club runs section of message board
http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/message_boa ... php?t=5674 .

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 21 May 2013 08:45

AlanW wrote:Phil,

Not that it really makes any difference unless people are following the .gpx file instead of using some common sense, but just have a quick look at the route around The Patchway area in Bristol.
Thanks Alan, I shall take a look.

chalkie

Post by chalkie » 21 May 2013 20:24

and please take lots of photos and video of the event, and each other riding, not necessarily the view. this could be an invaluable record.

whats your ETA into weston?? i may turn up to film it. 8)
and on the 7th day God created CLEATS..!

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 22 May 2013 13:40

What time is this expected to return? still undecided. Im doing the 100 in 8 on sunday and think the mileage should be ok.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 22 May 2013 17:57

Andy_Craddock wrote:What time is this expected to return? still undecided. Im doing the 100 in 8 on sunday and think the mileage should be ok.
Between 8 and 11pm, I guess. All depends upon time for stops and average speed. Ideally, I would like a single group out and back at a moderate pace equivalent to a B run. As a 'mixed ability' group it may not be realistic to expect a single group on the return journey and may have to split. So, people may need to ensure that they have the means to navigate home. I will circulate a rough route card to participants next week, in addition to the Bikeroutetoaster link.

I will be e-mailing registered participants early next week with final details.
chalkie wrote:and please take lots of photos and video of the event, and each other riding, not necessarily the view. this could be an invaluable record.

whats your ETA into weston?? i may turn up to film it. 8)
Thank you for the suggestion.

Charles, I guesstimate 1 - 2pm at Weston. I'll copy the event details to you along with my phone number. Personally, I would a stop at WSM of no more than 45m to 1 hour.

As for others capturing the event, can somebody volunteer their services as camera person please?

Ian

Weston Run_Practice

Post by Ian » 22 May 2013 22:30

Martin, thanks for the stir on practice run. Greg, hope to join club run around Cakebole Lane (08:45) if I have the direction right from map/cue sheet. Just another appeal, if anyone has a Beacon Jersey (S) which they would like to loan/sell for the Weston Ride, would be much appreciated.

Grogz

Re: Weston Run_Practice

Post by Grogz » 23 May 2013 06:50

Eddy wrote:Martin, thanks for the stir on practice run. Greg, hope to join club run around Cakebole Lane (08:45) if I have the direction right from map/cue sheet. Just another appeal, if anyone has a Beacon Jersey (S) which they would like to loan/sell for the Weston Ride, would be much appreciated.
That's right, the route is anticlockwise. Please make sure you are there before the group arrives so you can slot in with minimal delay. See you Sunday.

AlanW

Re: Weston Run_Practice

Post by AlanW » 23 May 2013 12:54

Eddy wrote:Greg, hope to join club run around Cakebole Lane (08:45) if I have the direction right from map/cue sheet.
Ian,

Ride up to the Black Horse ya lightweight, otherwise you wont get the 100 miles in. :wink:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Ian

Weston Run_Practice

Post by Ian » 23 May 2013 21:28

Alan, rode to Aberystwyth last Saturday to get 115 miles in so tapering off this weekend :wink:

dweben

Post by dweben » 23 May 2013 21:58

I did 21 miles last weekend... I don't think you guys are entering into the spirit of not training for the longest ride of the year. :P

PHAIL

:twisted:

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 24 May 2013 09:19

21 out of 21 will embark on the great pilgrimage next Saturday, the ultimate question is,
How many will return?
Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 24 May 2013 09:50

HAZBRO wrote:21 out of 21 will embark on the great pilgrimage next Saturday, the ultimate question is,
How many will return?
Oh i'm sure we will all return but will it be by bike that is the question. :)

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 26 May 2013 18:45

Based on todays ride, can I put a suggestion forward to break the ride down into 25 miles segments rather than just one at 50 miles?

And when I when breaks, I mean nothing more than a quick drink/food/wee stop, no longer than 1/4 hr tops?

Moss

Post by Moss » 27 May 2013 19:14

If a space becomes available on this I think I would like to have a go. I know I'm likely to die on the way back (tell my family I love them, or the train driver, whichever fits the situation) but I would like to give it a pop if there's a chance.

Thanks, Moss.
New, so go easy on me.

twitter.com/mosspalmer - facebook.com/mosspalmer - dailymile.com/people/MossiahP - strava.com/athletes/mossp

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 27 May 2013 21:11

Moss wrote:If a space becomes available on this I think I would like to have a go. I know I'm likely to die on the way back (tell my family I love them, or the train driver, whichever fits the situation) but I would like to give it a pop if there's a chance.

Thanks, Moss.
You're in luck. Clive is a DNS due to recent sickness.

Ian

Post by Ian » 27 May 2013 21:25

AlanW wrote:Based on todays ride, can I put a suggestion forward to break the ride down into 25 miles segments rather than just one at 50 miles?

And when I when breaks, I mean nothing more than a quick drink/food/wee stop, no longer than 1/4 hr tops?
Alan, sounds like a good idea, based on recent ride to Aberystwyth & C2C last year where we had similar stop off's. It provided small milestones, an opportunity to re-group and some comfort if things get tough, especially on the return leg.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 27 May 2013 21:35

Don't panic Alan. It is all in hand. However, if you know of any suitable stops between Gordano and Gloucester Sainsbury's then that would be helpful.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 28 May 2013 11:29

I have e-mailed participants with further details this morning.

Darren, please PM me with your e-mail address and I can forward the materials.

Moss

Post by Moss » 28 May 2013 13:12

Sorry to hear that Clive will not be able to participate but happy that I get a chance to hurt myself at the same time.

Thanks, Moss.
New, so go easy on me.

twitter.com/mosspalmer - facebook.com/mosspalmer - dailymile.com/people/MossiahP - strava.com/athletes/mossp

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 May 2013 18:55

Philip Whiteman wrote:Don't panic Alan. It is all in hand.
I wasn't panicking about that, however I am now panicking about the fact that I had major sickness and diarrhoea in the early hours of this morning. :cry:

Not quite to sure what has bought it on, but at 10 last night I knew that all wasn't quite right. I went up to bed and went giddy and light headed then promptly passed out in the bathroom. I must have banged my swede on the sink on the way down as I now have bloody great lump on my head. I came round with the missus trying to pick me up.

As yet I haven't eaten anything today, but I have tried to drink loads. Hopefully tomorrow is another day and normal service will be resumed.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 28 May 2013 19:25

AlanW wrote:
Philip Whiteman wrote:Don't panic Alan. It is all in hand.
I wasn't panicking about that, however I am now panicking about the fact that I had major sickness and diarrhoea in the early hours of this morning. :cry:

Not quite to sure what has bought it on, but at 10 last night I knew that all wasn't quite right. I went up to bed and went giddy and light headed then promptly passed out in the bathroom. I must have banged my swede on the sink on the way down as I now have bloody great lump on my head. I came round with the missus trying to pick me up.

As yet I haven't eaten anything today, but I have tried to drink loads. Hopefully tomorrow is another day and normal service will be resumed.
This little ditty by The Goodies will make you feel much better. I always play it to my friends when they feel under the weather.
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 28 May 2013 19:37, edited 2 times in total.

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 28 May 2013 19:33

Get well soon Alan !

George

Post by George » 28 May 2013 20:06

Alan, if you're having second thoughts about Saturday, I'm sure a less elaborate excuse will do fine.

(Seriously, though, I hope it's over soon.)

matthew

Post by matthew » 28 May 2013 20:24

Alan, the last time I felt like that was when I opened my credit card bill after the wife had been shopping on it :lol:
m regan

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 28 May 2013 20:53

George wrote:Alan, if you're having second thoughts about Saturday, I'm sure a less elaborate excuse will do fine.
Yes, the bit about banging your head on the sink was a lovely touch.

I'm sure you'll recover in time.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 29 May 2013 14:12

Bowl of soup and toast consumed mid morning, first food in 24 hours! :shock:

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 29 May 2013 14:36

Before I forget.

If riders own 'cafe locks' then please bring it with you. They may useful.
AlanW wrote:Bowl of soup and toast consumed mid morning, first food in 24 hours! :shock:
Glad to hear it. Plain foods such as cream crackers will often help to settle the stomach too.

If concerned about whether you are fit-to-ride on Saturday, go out on Friday at an easy pace and see how you feel.

Moss

Post by Moss » 30 May 2013 00:14

What do you all eat in the lead up to something this big. I've done a bit of reading and feel chicken pasta dishes are a good way to go.

Am I missing anything?
New, so go easy on me.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 30 May 2013 11:16

Moss wrote:What do you all eat in the lead up to something this big. I've done a bit of reading and feel chicken pasta dishes are a good way to go.

Am I missing anything?
You have got it about right. Also avoid alcohol.

Breakfast is equally important before you start. This is how I started the day last Saturday prior to a 300km audax:

3 x bananas
4 x Wheatabix
1 x large glass of smoothie
2 x glasses of water.

Porridge takes too long to prepare and sits heavily in the stomach.

Plus I always have another ritual to avoid wasting time in the morning.
1. Prepare bike the night before.
2. Wash and shave the night before.
3. Lay out cycle clothing the night before.
4. Prepare and lay out rear jersey pocket items the night before
5. Go to bed early.
6. From getting out of bed to leaving the door including dressing breakfast, ablutions and brushing teeth= 25 minutes.
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 30 May 2013 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 30 May 2013 11:43

Is this just the ticket?

Yatton Station, a few miles short of Weston has an excellent looking community run tea room. It may be a better option than some orrible werking class establishment in Weston full of Swivel Eyed Loons. We could use it either on the outbound or return journeys. A further advantage of a Yatton stop will be better bike security when compared with a town centre cafe.

The route incorporates a couple of miles along the Strawberry Line just south of Yatton Station. It is an off-road cycle path constructed with compacted gravel. Hopefully, the surface will be in reasonable condition, otherwise we will need to add a couple of km and travel via Congresbury along the busy A371.

Les Ladbury

The Weston and Back

Post by Les Ladbury » 30 May 2013 14:48

I have been reading with interest the recommended preparation for the forthcoming ride to Weston and back.

In the old days the racing season would finish around the end of Sept or early October. That is except for those who competed in hill climbs or cyclo cross.

This heralded the start of the social season a time to consume as much, what would now be considered "unhealthy" food and it was not unknown for members of this club to cosume copious amounts of Brew XI and also to investigate the properties of DD.
DD or Double Diamond was a beverage which, it was alleged worked wonders and nothing the do with the size of ladies underwear.

Preparation for the Weston and Back consisted of Friday night at the Burnt Cork Club and Sturday night would see a band of dedicated athletes training at The Edward at the back of Halfords near the fire station in Birmingham.

On W&B week-end one would taper off training and forego an evening at The Edward but finalise our training with an evening at The Old Crown in Digbeth.

Midnight on the appointed Saturday in February would a band a cyclists, trained to the peak of athletic perfection would meet at the gents unrinal opposite the Psychiatric Hospital at Rubery to set off.

You will appreciate that recollections are a bit hazy beyond this but all that I can remember is that most of us did get back and that if some of the longer serving members of the Beacon appear to look older than their years would suggest there could be a very good reason for this.
Les

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 30 May 2013 15:29

Philip Whiteman wrote:Porridge takes too long to prepare and sits heavily in the stomach.
Contrary to Philip, I find that porridge is an ideal pre-cycling breakfast. Plenty of slow-release carbs. I also often eat it before going to bed at night as well, which I tell myself is OK because I once read that that's what Bradley Wiggins does.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 30 May 2013 16:12

Porridge is the perfect pre race/ride breakfast, along with a slice of toast with honey.

Here is the proof

http://www.howies.co.uk/mens/clothing/t ... white.html

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 30 May 2013 18:13

Can I please nominate Les's post as Post of the Year 2013...most amusing.

So a pint of Double Diamond it is. Alternatively 50% of us could eat porridge and 50% not and submit our findings to the Lancet...I'll take the risk.

I guess in most of these things, it's a personal thing, but I agree a great wodge of fish and chips can't so us much good. Les...did you wash down a double helping with a pint of the local tipple?

dweben

Post by dweben » 30 May 2013 20:49

Hmm, so last night I had fish & chips... chips/batter = carbs, fish = protein so all good. Tonight was kievs and chips... so more carbs and protein... all good, right???

All I need now is a pile of sugar, maybe a nice lemon pie...

None of that banana and wheat brick trash in my house! Sugar puffs all the way!!!