To Weston and Back: "The Weston Run"

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

George

Post by George » 30 May 2013 21:00

My preparation for this event will consist of pumping the tyres up and setting the alarm on Friday night.

IanT

Post by IanT » 30 May 2013 21:54

Interesting to see the differing approaches to pre ride preparation and nutrition.

Personally, I've been fighting off a cold this week and was in need of a vitamin C boost so I've been eating industrial quantities of Terry's chocolate orange and lemon bon bons. To ensure I get the right amount of protein, I'll probably force down a bar or two of fruit and nut on Friday as well.

To keep energy levels up on the day itself I'll have a kebab on the way home from the pub Friday night (it'll be Guinness only in the pub) but will skip the chilli sauce (I am in training!). I'll also have a box of chocolate chip tracker bars down my jersey on the day. Hydration will be taken care of with a scientific mix of chateau de Severn Trent and Kia Orange orange.

All about the disaggregation of marginal something or other...

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 30 May 2013 22:23

Well, I have to say, there have been some disgraceful comments regarding preparation. Les, surely you realise things have moved on considerably since the days of Brew XI and Double Diamond. Any true modern cyclist wouldn't consider a diet of anything other than Banks' Mild, a champions choice.

Doubt I'll have time for breakfast as I'll be coming straight from a lock-in but a couple of esspressos on the way should see me right. If I get really jaded there's always a Fisherman's Friend or two.

Ian, what are you thinking ? Fruit and Nut ?
Oh dear, oh dear....

A TOPIC sir and nothing else !!!!!

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 31 May 2013 01:03

laurence_cooley wrote:
Philip Whiteman wrote:Porridge takes too long to prepare and sits heavily in the stomach.
Contrary to Philip, I find that porridge is an ideal pre-cycling breakfast. Plenty of slow-release carbs. I also often eat it before going to bed at night as well, which I tell myself is OK because I once read that that's what Bradley Wiggins does.
Ready brek is your answer then phil I eat it all the time, they even pump in extra vitamins, all you do is boil the kettle an mix, just like instant mashed potatoes, not that anyone here eats them of course!
Surely its better than pumping down a fry up or two before a ride! up to 400 calories a bowl or more now that's a lot of energy!
Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Tim

Post by Tim » 31 May 2013 06:22

Good luck tomorrow people! Enjoy!

snailmale

Re: The Weston and Back

Post by snailmale » 31 May 2013 09:09

Les Ladbury wrote:I have been reading with interest the recommended preparation for the forthcoming ride to Weston and back.

In the old days the racing season would finish around the end of Sept or early October. That is except for those who competed in hill climbs or cyclo cross.

This heralded the start of the social season a time to consume as much, what would now be considered "unhealthy" food and it was not unknown for members of this club to cosume copious amounts of Brew XI and also to investigate the properties of DD.
DD or Double Diamond was a beverage which, it was alleged worked wonders and nothing the do with the size of ladies underwear.

Preparation for the Weston and Back consisted of Friday night at the Burnt Cork Club and Sturday night would see a band of dedicated athletes training at The Edward at the back of Halfords near the fire station in Birmingham.

On W&B week-end one would taper off training and forego an evening at The Edward but finalise our training with an evening at The Old Crown in Digbeth.

Midnight on the appointed Saturday in February would a band a cyclists, trained to the peak of athletic perfection would meet at the gents unrinal opposite the Psychiatric Hospital at Rubery to set off.

You will appreciate that recollections are a bit hazy beyond this but all that I can remember is that most of us did get back and that if some of the longer serving members of the Beacon appear to look older than their years would suggest there could be a very good reason for this.

George Huxley used to play at the Burnt Cork Club. His band was still going fairly recently.

A pretty fair appraisal of the build up to the W & B, Les. As I've repeatedly said, you didn't train for it, it WAS training, or at least a 'loosener' before the serious stuff.

Still, it's nice to know that these lads, in their wimpish way are paying tribute to the halcyon days of club life.

Good Luck, everyone.
It is better to be interesting rather than exact

Albert Cox

Post by Albert Cox » 31 May 2013 09:25

...With a big stout heart to a long steep hill
We may get there with a smile.
With a good kind thought and a mile end view
We may cut short many a mile.......

....Sir Harry Lauder

Good luck to all Weston riders!
ALC

George

Post by George » 31 May 2013 09:59

My post last night was a bit flippant, I know. The serious version is that it's too late for training and the pressures of day-to-day life leave relatively little scope for following a professional athlete's tapering programme. I will eat a good carb-rich meal tonight and try to get a good night's sleep, but that's about it. If others are able to more, great ... but I lack the mental energy to impose additional disciplines on myself, on top of those needed to get through the working week.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 31 May 2013 10:47

Here is a little description of the route in terms of topography.

We start along the gently undulating A38 until Droitwich, after which we hit the more minor roads which have one or two sharp pulls before reaching Tewkesbury. The A38 dual carriageway to Gloucester possesses some gentle gradients. This section can be moderately busy until we reach the Gloucester Ring Road where we shall need to keep our wits about us.

To the south of Gloucester, the wide A38 carriageway quietens down. The road surface is a bit rough in places but fairly easy going. There are no steep sections but this portion of the route is deceptively hilly. To the north of Bristol lies a ridge and the A38 slowly grinds its way to the top before descending towards Avonmouth. It is a long haul either side of the ridge at a gradient guesstimated at 1:30. We loose height after leaving the A38 in Almondsbury, only reascend the ridge again into Henbury.

The steepest climb between Weston and Birmingham is man made; over the Avon Motorway Bridge. This will afford us some fantastic views towards Bristol and the Clifton Gorge, albeit with the thunder of traffic behind us.

The Gordano Valley route uses lanes. There are some short sharp pulls along their length as the lane stubbornly clings to the valley sides with M5 ever present above our heads. This section can be testing with tired legs. Few cars use this lane but they tend to be are driven by nerds and swivel eyed loons. Also, watch out for potholes and horse riders.

Beyond Clevedon, we cross the North Somerset Levels to Yatton before joining the Strawberry Line cycle path. Beyond the Strawberry Line, we will join the busy A371 into Weston. I suggest that we split into groups reduce the hazards created by impatient traffic.

Clearly, those riding north of Bromsgrove will have the toughest section to contend with; having to climb into Birmingham with tired legs.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 31 May 2013 11:16

I will go straight to Speeds so will meet you all there.

paul.farrell

Post by paul.farrell » 31 May 2013 16:11

Best of luck for tomorrow, concerning your debate on breakfast, this is from team Sky, interesting watch. sound quality could be better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2c6CH5nJ_4

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 31 May 2013 17:31

Yep, glad to report that I'm (near enough) good to go after a less than ideal last few days. :shock:

Roll on that lovely fish and chips on the sea front tomorrow. :lol:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 31 May 2013 18:03

Best of luck everyone. Sunscreen instead of waterproofs by the looks of the forecast!

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 31 May 2013 18:08

NW wind on Sunday? Good luck chaps!

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 31 May 2013 18:17

Good luck to all particiipating, hope you have a good run there and back.

dweben

Post by dweben » 31 May 2013 18:23

What's the story with the support van? Can we load a small bag into it and where it's starting from? Was thinking of spare tubes/food/gilet/etc...

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 31 May 2013 18:33

dweben wrote:What's the story with the support van? Can we load a small bag into it and where it's starting from? Was thinking of spare tubes/food/gilet/etc...

Support van? It is a case of picking up food and drink en-route.

I didn't realise that you are coming but it is nice to have you along. I have sent out a route card via e-mail to recipients but you will have missed that mailing.

dweben

Post by dweben » 31 May 2013 18:58

I've been on the list from the start and you did email me all the route stuff... I'm feel unloved. :(

Ah well ok thought there was a man in a van roaming around the place. I shall just load the bike up then!

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 31 May 2013 19:24

dweben wrote: Ah well ok thought there was a man in a van roaming around the place.
Its not a problem, but I did as well, namely Bob in his camper van?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 31 May 2013 19:33

Sorry, I should have clarified the matter with regard to Bob's caravan. Bob had kindly offered at the beginning but as the numbers grew we both realised that his caravan's limited facilities would not cope with 20+ riders, so I suggested that we use shop and cafe stops instead.

When the idea of Weston was mooted, few realised how popular it would become. Hence, I eventually capped the number of participants as the consequence would have become a logistical nightmare and I have enough on my plate with two sets of audaxes and a perm to worry about.

dweben wrote:. I'm feel unloved. :(
And deservedly so, you scoundrel

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 31 May 2013 19:38

Animal wrote:my breakfast consists of a ....... bowel of muesli.....
Too much detail already I think :lol:

Inspired by all this talk of beer fuelled rides to far off places, a few of us more sedate members, some of whom possibly have some lefty revolutionary tendencies, started plotting a ride to the Kremlin and hopefully back. More of that another day perhaps, in the meantime bon voyage and bon chance everybody for tomorrow.
Eat cake before you're hungry

dweben

Post by dweben » 31 May 2013 19:53

"Philip Whiteman"Hence, I eventually capped the number of participants as the consequence would have become a logistical nightmare and I have enough on my plate with two sets of audaxes and a perm to worry about.
You haven't got enough hair to worry about a perm...

:lol:

Clive

Post by Clive » 31 May 2013 20:54

Very best of luck to all taking part, it seems you will have the weather on your side for a nice change.

Wish I was taking part (Really), but I had to bail out a few days ago as I've been laid up with a chest infection and sinusitis. I did 15 miles today, and though I was going to collapse. On the mend now, but a slow process.

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 31 May 2013 21:00

dweben wrote:
"Philip Whiteman"Hence, I eventually capped the number of participants as the consequence would have become a logistical nightmare and I have enough on my plate with two sets of audaxes and a perm to worry about.
You haven't got enough hair to worry about a perm...

:lol:
<@> I see I'll be missing quite a day.

Lisa

Post by Lisa » 01 Jun 2013 15:47

Update to those anxiously awaiting news of the intrepid expeditioners*...

Philip left a message at 2.45pm to say that they were on Weston sea front and about to embark on the return leg, perhaps a little later than hoped, but apparently in good spirits.

*spell-check really doesn't like that word. Curious. :?
Why?

Lisa

Post by Lisa » 01 Jun 2013 20:02

Another update - at 8pm they have reached Gloucester on their return leg. They'll need those lights! No Beacon bail-outs to report, so far...
Why?

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 01 Jun 2013 23:38

Well that was a great day out. 208 miles from leaving home at 5:40 this morning & I've just got in the door. Great weather, great company & special thanks to Phil for all his hard work organising it in advance & keeping such good order on the day.

George

Post by George » 02 Jun 2013 00:41

Made it! Huge thanks to Phil in particular, but to everyone.

www.haywoodhouse.net/Resources/Images/Grand_Pier_1.JPG

George

Post by George » 02 Jun 2013 00:43

Why isn't the image code working?

To tired to try to work out what's wrong now. If you want to see the picture, just copy and paste the URL into your address bar.

Tim

Post by Tim » 02 Jun 2013 06:39

Massive well done everyone! Amazing! Bang on 16mph average as planned is great going.

Anyone fancy doing it in February to get me fit for next year?!?

Albert Cox

Post by Albert Cox » 02 Jun 2013 06:47

Congratulations and Well Done to All.
ALC

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 02 Jun 2013 07:04

Many thanks to Phil for his effort over and above the call of duty not only with organising this, but keeping everyone together all day long and a very long day at that!

Congratulations to everyone that finished and thanks for your company. And yes I still have that (very) rather large bag of "Sports" wine gums in my back pocket. :oops:

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 02 Jun 2013 07:12

Well done all. I see from the photo that it's still not tropical enough for Matt to take off the gilet!

paul.farrell

Post by paul.farrell » 02 Jun 2013 07:16

Congrats to all 8)

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 02 Jun 2013 08:23

Well done to all, a fantastic effort.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 02 Jun 2013 08:28

Philmondo

Post by Philmondo » 02 Jun 2013 08:29

What a great day. Huge thanks to Phil for doing such a good job with organising the whole thing, and to all the other riders. Its great to have done a ride so richly steeped in Beacon history 8)
I can gather all the news I need on the weather report.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 02 Jun 2013 09:10

Thanks to Phil for organising what was a really well-planned out day, and everyone for the company. I wasn't quite as organised as Phil, so sorry about my squeaky rear mech and thanks to Roy for the brake cable.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 02 Jun 2013 09:30

Congratulations to everyone. V impressed. I was thinking of you all yesterday, especially when the (NW?) wind started to pick up.
Belt up, we're going for a ride

snailmale

Post by snailmale » 02 Jun 2013 09:53

Very well done, everyone. Nice to see a Beacon tradition restored, albeit at a wimpish time of year.

Plan now for next February !!!

<@> <@> <@>
It is better to be interesting rather than exact

Patch

Post by Patch » 02 Jun 2013 09:56

Lol all afternoon I thought it was me squeaking until I was left on my own and it stopped. Great day big well done to everyone. I know it was a bit stressful for Phil but well done mate.
Patch

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 02 Jun 2013 10:11

Congratulations to everyone - well done

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 02 Jun 2013 10:18

Well done all, great effort

George

Post by George » 02 Jun 2013 10:26

Alan, thanks for 'enabling' the picture. The explanation was clear as daylight this morning, but last night it was obscured by fatigue and alcohol.

George

Post by George » 02 Jun 2013 10:28

AlanW wrote:Many thanks to Phil for his effort over and above the call of duty not only with organising this, but keeping everyone together all day long and a very long day at that!
Hear, hear!

dweben

Post by dweben » 02 Jun 2013 10:37

Cheers Phil for sheparding us lot around the place, well organised and good shop knowledge for desperate sarnies! Well done everyone!

Recorded 220 miles by the time I got home so a nice new record for me too :)

IanT

Post by IanT » 02 Jun 2013 10:41

Just to add my thanks to Phil for organising an epic day out, a tremendous effort. Thanks also to everyone else for the company, it was a ride that'll live long in the memory!

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 02 Jun 2013 10:45

Congratulations everyone, what a day.
Couldn't sleep because my legs were still trying to pedal.

Big thanks to everyone for their company (especially Matt and Paul for the drugs....) , what a great bunch of chaps.

Phil, a big, big thank you on behalf of us all for everything you put in to organising 'the big day out' ..... fantasitc.

I hope the Audax honchos sort out those ATM receipts and send you a big medal, thanks again and sorry for all the faffing :D

dweben

Post by dweben » 02 Jun 2013 10:51

Oh, has anyone heard from Gary Mac? He did seem to vanish at the Sainsbury's stop... hope he got home ok !

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 02 Jun 2013 11:05

Paul, Gary Mac has posted his ride on Strava so he seems to have got home o.k.
After yesterday's ride folks don't forget to sign up for the Phil's next epic day out with Kidderminster Killer Audax on August 17th.