Wheels for light weight touring

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

slogfester

Wheels for light weight touring

Post by slogfester » 28 Jan 2014 10:50

Can anyone recommend some 700c wheels for light touring?
I'm currently trying to spec my Van Nicholas Yukon (c/w/ 11 speed Ultegra) for fast(ish), light weight, credit card touring. Bike+bits is currently about 9kg. I'm 80 kg (give or take a donut or two :evil: ) and I will be carrying no more than 10 kg via rear panniers (2 x 5 kg). So, all up should be less than 100 kg.
My current wheels, Mavic Kyserium SLs (nicked from my old racer) are too hard a ride with flat spokes that catch the wind and can't be fixed on-road.

I know Sean and Ian have had wheels built up by Echelon Cycles, so that it one possibility. Are there other bespoke or off-the-shelf alternatives?

Thanks
Belt up, we're going for a ride

George

Post by George » 28 Jan 2014 11:28

Barry, on my touring bike and on my training bike I have Campag's cheapest off-the-peg wheel: Khamsin, which you can get for a little over £100 I think. I have a minimalist approach to maintenance, yet I've never broken a spoke or knocked these wheels out of true in about 3 years of regular use, much of it on grotty winter back lanes, and even a little bit off road. The bearings are also still fine. They use a conventional spoke, so the scope for running repairs while touring is normal.

They're not specially light or sporty -- I wouldn't recommend them for high-performance use. However, I would have not the slightest hesitation in using them for the purpose you describe, and I'm in no doubt that they are the best value-for-money wheels I've ever owned.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 28 Jan 2014 17:57

My latest wheels also Hope and Mavic were built by Ben at Venture Bikes in Stirchley thus far I've been very pleased with them.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 Jan 2014 19:17

Open Sport Rims
As a proud descendant of MA2, MA40 and MA3, Open Sport is the perfect blend of successful Mavic rim features. It is the perfect balance of durability, weight and price.
Weight : 490 grams

Open Pro Rims
Open Pro is the latest version of Mavic "Open" rims, and as such is the most advanced evolution. Optimized up to the limit of material potential, Open Pro is probably the best road rim available.
Weight : 435 grams

Personally speaking, but I can see little point is spending the extra money on the Open Pro rims unless you are racing. This is reflected in their statement "Optimized up to the limit of material potential". The Open Sport rim is the preferred choice with most wheel builders for those that intend to tour, not only are the rims thicker but the rims also have that all important wear line on them.
That said, the Open Pro rims are double eyeleted, compared to a single eyelet on the Open Sport rims, which is much better.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Tim

Post by Tim » 28 Jan 2014 19:54

+1 for Ben@Venture in Stirchley. I've got same as Dave and v happy with them. When rim is shot he can rebuild. He can talk you through options for what you need

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 28 Jan 2014 21:01

36 spokes on the back for 100kg I'd have thought.

+2 for Ben
Eat cake before you're hungry

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 29 Jan 2014 15:43

As my Open Sport rear rim is now down to it wear line, I have just gone to order a new 28 hole replacement. However, it would appear that Mavic no longer produce them in 28 holes..... :x
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 29 Jan 2014 17:05

Thank you everyone for all your useful comments.
Belt up, we're going for a ride

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 29 Jan 2014 23:08

I finally got round to measuring the wear on some wheels I have with Open Pro rims. Wall thickness down to 1mm on the front. I didn't bother measuring the rear. So, as this is my 'winter' bike, I have ordered a pair of the Campag Khamsins off Wiggle for £111.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 30 Jan 2014 09:51

I've just bought a DT Swiss TK540 700c touring rim after reading good things about them.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dt- ... m-ec039543

Going to have it built with my existing Shimano Deore hub.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 01 Feb 2014 20:48

Patch

Post by Patch » 02 Feb 2014 10:48

I'd go for hand builts for ease of repair etc but it's hard to build a pair for anything like the price of the khamsins. If I was building some for myself I'd go open pros on hope. Thing about hand builts is the hubs are reusable so when you wear the rim out you can rebuild it. The factory wheels are pretty much throwaway. This means you can invest in some nice hubs which will last for years. Chris Kings yum

It's about £80 for rims £60 spokes (horribly expensive these days) and then whatever hubs. I charge £15 a wheel

Open sports are a fair bit cheaper at about £50 a pair.
Patch

David Farley

Post by David Farley » 12 Feb 2014 19:07

Barry
Have sent you a pm