Yr Elenydd; 11th April 2015 - Advanced warning

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

Yr Elenydd; 11th April 2015 - Advanced warning

Post by Philip Whiteman » 29 Nov 2014 07:32

I know that a number of Beacon members are speculating upon entering this event.

Entries open on 1st December. 2015 is a PBP year, so expect this event to fill very fast.

http://www.audax-salop.talktalk.net/elenydd/

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 01 Dec 2014 12:47

In a weak moment...I've entered. Don't want to be alone on the moors..."stay on the lane lads" (name the film?)

IanT

Post by IanT » 01 Dec 2014 22:32

And stay off the moors whilst we're on the subject...not easy to do on this ride!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 03 Dec 2014 14:17

I'm in for the 6am start. I may book a room in the nearby Travelodge.

keith

Post by keith » 07 Dec 2014 23:30

WorcsPhil wrote:In a weak moment...I've entered. Don't want to be alone on the moors..."stay on the lane lads" (name the film?)

The rice pudding at the' Slaughtered Lamb' is particularly good

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 18 Dec 2014 19:45

There's no way I'd ever enter this event.

........oh go on then.

keith

Post by keith » 18 Dec 2014 20:25

Pedlo Mudguardo wrote:There's no way I'd ever enter this event.

........oh go on then.
I dreamed that I had entered this, so vivid was the dream that I've even got a confirmation Email .....doh !

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 11 Jan 2015 14:03

So far we have:

Ian Taylor
Phil Richards
Me
Nic Vipond
Keith Adcock

Jess may also be interested. If anyone else would like to participate then you may wish to see the Elenydd website where a link to reviews can also be found.

In terms of training, I have personally entered the following:

1st Feb: 150km. Windrush Winter Warm Down.
7th Feb: 200km. Sam Weller's trip to WOCHMA (Phil R has also entered)

and intend to enter some or all of the following:

28th Mar. 150km. Over the Malverns (start/finish from home)
7th Mar. 200km. Mr Pickwick's March Madness.
14th Mar. 200km. Cheltenham New Flyer
22nd Mar. 200km Beacon's Montgomery Madness Permanent Audax route.

I can also commend The Cambrian on 21st March. That is Lisa's birthday, so the exit visa has been withdrawn.
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 11 Jan 2015 18:14, edited 2 times in total.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 11 Jan 2015 17:42

Good stuff, Phil.

Just to correct that I have entered 200kms one, Sam Weller's trip to WOCHMA on the 7th Feb, but not the one the week earlier.

Will take a look at the others, shout up if you officially enter.

John

Post by John » 12 Jan 2015 16:14

I'm very tempted. I need to get out a diary and make sure it won't clash with anything.

Are there any training rides that are required?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 12 Jan 2015 19:25

John wrote:I'm very tempted. I need to get out a diary and make sure it won't clash with anything.

Are there any training rides that are required?
Training rides are not required but training is strongly advised in terms of building base miles. You will love the hills!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 12 Jan 2015 20:24

I cannot make this event but it is worth the perusal.

https://sites.google.com/site/thecambrianaudax/home

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 15 Jan 2015 14:45

If anyone is interested in joining me, I can confirm that I have entered the Cheltenham Flyer on 15th March.

http://aukweb.net/events/detail/15-797/

200km cycling event starting from Andoversford, Nr Cheltenham. Controls at Uffington, Burbage and Lacock, plus 1 information control.

Combination of best of Cheltenham Flyer and Cider with Rosie 200s. Through Cotswolds and N Wilts. Highlights: R Coln valley, White Horses, Lambourn, Kennett & Avon Canal, Burbage, Lacock village,

This is a surprisingly challenging route across the Cotswolds and then Wiltshire Downs. Two years ago, this happened to become one of the toughest rides I have ever ridden with head-on gales and torrential sleet. Hopefully, kinder weather will provide enjoyment of good countryside.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 09 Feb 2015 11:39

If anyone else training or not training for Yr Elenydd, you are more than welcome to join me at Mark's next event.

Mr Pickwick's March Madness. 7th March.

http://aukweb.net/events/detail/15-376/

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 15 Mar 2015 15:45

Last week: I completed a lumpy audax based on Tewkesbury - Bromyard - Severn Bridge - Berkeley. Ian T and Keith A completed the Montgomery Madness.

This week: Ian, Keith and I completed the Cheltenham New Flyer - a hard ride from Andoversford incorporating the Cotswold, Lambourn and Wiltshire Downs.

Next week: Keith, Ian and Phil Richards will be trialling themselves on the rugged Cambrian audax from Leominster to Machynlleth and back.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 15 Mar 2015 21:02

Unfortunately I am not at the Cambrian Audax next week as I'm currently enjoying a bike-free week (is that possible?) in Cornwall, however, I will be at the Lichfield 210kms audax on March 29th if other Elenithers are available.

keith

Post by keith » 18 Mar 2015 15:58

More Worried about the 7 o'clock start this week to be honest ,Brutal!
And for the record the Wiltshire downs seemed to be mostly ups

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 18 Mar 2015 19:19

keith wrote:More Worried about the 7 o'clock start this week to be honest ,Brutal!
And for the record the Wiltshire downs seemed to be mostly ups
It is not the 7 o'clock start you should be worrying about, it is the climbing. The hills on the return portion of the journey double in number. The fact that the route is linear is irrelevant. Also, remember the descent into Machynlleth, as you will have to return that same way within a matter of minutes.

keith

Post by keith » 18 Mar 2015 21:17

The chances of getting Ian and myself in and out of a checkpoint and cafe in minuts is about as likely as ...........a very unlikely thing

IanT

Post by IanT » 18 Mar 2015 22:23

Now Phil, don't go spoiling the fun by telling us what we can expect, you know I prefer blissful ignorance. In fact, it's a necessity, if I ever stopped to think about the details of this nonsense I'd probably immediately take up jogging instead.

keith

Post by keith » 22 Mar 2015 08:05

Now that was a toughie ! However quite simply one of the best days cycling I have ever done . Glorious spring weather ,stunning scenery, 8 hours of hill reps with some fast flatter bits at the end . The climb out of Machynlleth is epic. We had to dig really deep after about 90 miles as the hills took their toll, before mercifully the route flattened out a bit .Some seriously fast but safe descents
Very well organised event with free hot and cold food at the end . Other Beacon members riding apart from Ian T and myself were Richard Greer and Elfyn Jones .We finished by 6:00 the other two considerably earlier

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 22 Mar 2015 16:19

Well done Elfyn, Richard, Keith and Ian. I see on the results sheet that Eddie Sumner also finished.

It is a beast of a ride but using a stunning route. The reviews on the AUK Facebook Group about the event have been been really positive. I hope that the new organiser manages to keep the event going. Over the years it has jumped from pillar to post with different organisers. Even the Beacon was asked to host it once - we declined on the basis that it started from Leominster!

George

Post by George » 23 Mar 2015 12:44

Well done indeed. And what about Eddie Sumner?! He must be heading for 80, surely?!

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 10 Apr 2015 21:47

Best of luck to all riding this beast tomorrow, hope you have a great day out & that the weather is kind.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 11 Apr 2015 20:05

As far as I know, Phil Richards, Elfin Jones and Keith Adcock are still out there. Nic Vipond was a DNS due to injury and Ian Taylor was suffering with a problematic should and dropped out at Shobden.

The conditions on the outbound section were rough. The day started with heavy rain followed by a very strong headwind for the first 150km. By the time I reached The Gamallt, I was beaten and retreated to Llanwryted to catch a train home. In addition to that, I suffered three **flat**s, a broken pump and side wall blow out. I barely made it to the station.

Many thanks for Phil and Keith's patience as they attempted to haul me over to Tregaron but alas, their sterling efforts were in vain.

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 11 Apr 2015 20:31

Just had a text from Keith, he and Phil are at the last stop with 28 to go. Fantastic effort, home in time for match of the day ?
Bad luck Philip, the wind was bad and I was only out for a walk, Ian made it home after a nightmare with a lack of feeling in one hand.

It's a flipping tough ride to say the least.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 12 Apr 2015 09:06

Well, that is one tough ride...as Phil says, the first 95 miles into a 20mph headwind saps the motivation as well as the legs, but certain sections are beautiful, particularly when the sun came out. Devil's Staircase is a beauty and I just about stayed on the bike up there. The mountain road to Rhyader was also a highlight, especially with a tailwind, and if you can make James Tate's club run in this area in May, just do it, you won't regret it.

Me and Keith finished just before 22:30, and congrats to Elfyn, who only stopped for an hour all day!...well done, mate.

Big thanks to the Beacon group, especially Keith who I rode with all day, and 'suffered' my witterings in an attempt to forget the pain, especially in the first half - so much so, we selected our all-time West Midlands Football XI, from those players we'd actually seen ( if you're interested, our team was Friedel, Gidman, Statham, Wile, McGrath, Robson, Cowans, Tony Brown, Regis, Francis (Trevor not Kevin) and Morley)

keith

Post by keith » 12 Apr 2015 10:21

Thanks to all for the company yesterday, especially Phil, on our annual bout of insanity. (You think that's bad? I was speaking to someone yesterday who had ridden this six years running). Tough first half with the wind, even with a tail wind home you just can't undo the damage that does to the legs. That said we managed to "time trial" the sections after Rhyader at break neck speed and finished strongly, but having had enough.
I had one spill on the decscent from Telephone Box Hill into Tregoran where I spectacularly over cooked a bend, spilled a lot of speed but still hit a moss covered bank at speed. Amazingly, the moss saved my bacon and both me and the bike were completely unscathed. Blame the sketchy surface, 35mm rims on a very windy day, but mainly my rubbish descending.
Fantastic ride by Elfyn. We looked out for his times at the check points and were amazed to see how far ahead he was, even at half way.
All in all a great day out, the camaraderie between all riders is a great advert for Audaxes.