Andy Terry

Strava

Post by Andy Terry » 06 May 2016 22:01

Who are:

[ J. V.® ]
Pasquale Caggianiello
Paul Gething™
Pawel Scierka

and how come they are members of the Beacon club on Strava?

AlanW

Re: Strava

Post by AlanW » 07 May 2016 11:30

Andy Terry wrote:Who are:

[ J. V.® ]
Pasquale Caggianiello
Paul Gething™
Pawel Scierka

and how come they are members of the Beacon club on Strava?
No idea, not Beacon members, so kick 'em all off
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

George

Post by George » 07 May 2016 11:46

Are they (suspected of) doing anything one might disapprove of?

John

Post by John » 07 May 2016 15:29

Paul Gething is from Redditch/Beoley. Nice bloke, gave me his Mad March Hare entry.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 07 May 2016 20:36

I reckon the one saw us as a soft club of which he could consistently top the leaderboard and 'joined' for that reason :lol:

Maybe some folks join random clubs in an attempt to gather followers?
Eat cake before you're hungry

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 10 May 2016 13:09

Pawel Scierka did a C run some time ago.
I remember because I had trouble with the name :oops:

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 17 Aug 2016 08:03

So yet another random person has joined the Beacon Strava page from Egypt??

Why would you do that?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

George

Post by George » 27 Aug 2016 10:44

AlanW wrote:So yet another random person has joined the Beacon Strava page from Egypt??

Why would you do that?
Does it matter?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 Aug 2016 07:48

Not really, l just don't understand why you would?

George

Post by George » 28 Aug 2016 11:25

AlanW wrote:Not really, l just don't understand why you would?
It's very hard to say, Alan. A person might have a genuine interest in our club, e.g. because they've met one of our members, or because they once visited B'ham and enjoyed cycling in the area. Maybe they harbour an ambition to come here some day or they want to build bridges with cyclists in other countries. Or they may do such things fairly randomly with a view to increasing their own social networking profile. Weird though it may be to most people of our age, some young people put a lot of store by the number of followers/'friends' they have: it provides some sort of personal validation and/or they imagine it's a stepping stone to bigger things. I suppose that there can also be less savoury motives, such as being fixated with one of our younger and more attractive members, or just trawling for people with whom to strike up relationships. But I think that that's unlikely and best dealt with if and when there are specific grounds for suspicion. It's easy enough to block or ban people if they step out of line.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 03 Dec 2016 11:43

And another new non Beacon Strava member - "Alexander M".

Have you seen how many clubs he has recently joined???

Patch

Post by Patch » 04 Dec 2016 20:52

The Strava group is not restricted to Beacon members and there is no way to make it that way. I think it's just that we are a relatively large genuine group and as a result attractive.
I quizzed Alex M and he turns out to be ok. Just liked the look of our group. So relax just make sure your security settings are ok and there's nothing to be gained by thieves from joining the Beacon Strava group.
Patch

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 07 Dec 2016 13:46

Now Antonio Raposo from Portugal - how ridiculous to join so many clubs?

Can the Beacon Strava page not be a application request? I know the Beacon Zwifters Strava page is coz I started it, and if your names not on the list then your not coming in!

George

Post by George » 08 Dec 2016 10:54

But why, Alan?

You can't understand (and neither can I) why anyone would want to join lots of clubs with which they have little or no connection. But it doesn't follow that such behaviour is problematic. If it pleases them and it causes us no problem, why prevent it?

You'd also be excluding someone who, for example, met a couple of our people on holiday somewhere-or-other, and just wants to be friendly.

Tim

Post by Tim » 08 Dec 2016 11:34

I thought Alex M was my brother in law, thought it funny he joined and people were worried he might be a bike thief, especially considering he's currently in Cambodia til Christmas. So checked and anyway it's a different Alex M!
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 08 Dec 2016 17:17

Alan's only miffed because he was denied his rightful place at the top of the leaderboard last week. He's out riding his bike now to make sure it doesn't happen again :)

While we're at it we should also ban anyone who doesn't use their proper name or uses a photo which doesn't represent a true likeness of themselves...
Eat cake before you're hungry

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 08 Dec 2016 17:56

CakeStop wrote:Alan's only miffed because he was denied his rightful place at the top of the leaderboard last week. He's out riding his bike now to make sure it doesn't happen again :)

While we're at it we should also ban anyone who doesn't use their proper name or uses a photo which doesn't represent a true likeness of themselves...
Let's be thankful that your picture here does strongly resemble you Steve, although maybe there should be a pint as well 😎

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 09 Dec 2016 16:20

And your picture is almost passport value Pete. Sweet.