Club runs - 15th May

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 15th May

Post by WorcsPhil » 09 May 2016 11:09

Summer was well and truly around at the weekend and competing events elsewhere such as the Tour of the Black Country (great to see the sizeable Beacon turnout for this challenging and unusual sportive), Castleton Classic and Four Rivers Audaxes kept many Beaconites busy.

A healthy and mixed group of A, B and C riders met up on the B run, and I suspect that there was an impromptu C run also? If so, please can someone post to the relevant thread with names for my records.

This week's rides are as follows, and remember, A-run leaders need not be called Phil, all names are allowed.

A: British Camp, The Malverns - Philip Whiteman (08.15 start)
B: Madeley (nr Telford) - Nick Shenton (08:15 start)
C: Leamington - John Deeley (09.15 start)
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 16 May 2016 09:40, edited 2 times in total.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 09 May 2016 23:36

I Shall be taking the B Run at the earlier start time of 8:15 this coming Sunday to Madeley.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 12 May 2016 10:16

Due to a change of plan:

I will volunteer to lead Sunday's A run.

Destination: British Camp, The Malverns.

Departure: 08.15

VeloVert

Post by VeloVert » 12 May 2016 21:45

Just for those of us who are still Beacon virgins, how far and bumpy is the C run to Leamington likely to be?

John D

Post by John D » 12 May 2016 22:25

VeloVert wrote:Just for those of us who are still Beacon virgins, how far and bumpy is the C run to Leamington likely to be?
Jason, I will post the likely route before Sunday so you can see the profile but it will be 50-55 miles with no major climbs and just a few sections whiere you might need to get out of the saddle. Hope you can make it.

JD

VeloVert

Post by VeloVert » 12 May 2016 22:31

John D wrote:
VeloVert wrote:Just for those of us who are still Beacon virgins, how far and bumpy is the C run to Leamington likely to be?
Jason, I will post the likely route before Sunday so you can see the profile but it will be 50-55 miles with no major climbs and just a few sections whiere you might need to get out of the saddle. Hope you can make it.

JD
OK John, cheers. I'm trying to get ready for the Shropshire Highlands Challenge in the middle of June without it becoming as much of a near death experience as it was last year, so that sounds pretty much perfect for where I am right now. See you on Sunday!

John D

Post by John D » 13 May 2016 13:07

Please see route details for the c run to Leamington from the following link. 55 miles round trip from black horse. Slight headwind forecast for the return leg but should be dry/sunny intervals.

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=gotqwdlogcqingro

There is a little repetition in the route but mindful of not adding too many miles to get everyone back at a reasonable time.

With the B's having an early start, some returning from the TOTBC and half decent weather forecast, just as precaution i'd be grateful if 1 or 2 others downloaded the route in the event that we have a large number and need to split the group.

Cheers

JD

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 13 May 2016 18:13

Guidelines reminder #4...

Just a reminder to all leaders of the club run speed and distance guidelines, which are:

◾'A' runs cover 55 to 70 miles averaging over 16 mph
◾'B' runs cover 50 to 65 miles averaging 14 to 16 mph
◾‘C’ runs cover 45 to 60 miles averaging 12 to 14 mph

These are guidelines, but it's worth remembering that if you are leading a ride outside of these, it's best to post your best guess of what the distance will be and the rough time that people will get back to the Black Horse...i.e. exactly what John has posted above.

Phil/Nick, could you advise other riders on your rough distances etc, such that people can weigh up whether they can join for the whole ride.

Thanks...

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 13 May 2016 19:37

WorcsPhil wrote:Guidelines reminder #4...

Phil/Nick, could you advise other riders on your rough distances etc, such that people can weigh up whether they can join for the whole ride.
I'll decide upon the actual route that day but I estimate 130-140km for the A run.

Out via Tardebigge / Return via Dayhouse Bank.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 13 May 2016 21:55

Presuming that both the A and the B will be significantly over the guideline distance this week, in future it might be worth trying to co-ordinate longer rides in advance so that someone who wants to do a regular length club run but who might find the C a bit slow still has one option.

(Apologies for sticking my oar in when I haven't been on a club run in a while, but I might have done this Sunday if there was something nearer standard length).

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 14 May 2016 10:46

If people are dissatisfied by current club runs then I have a suggestion. Stop complaining and start volunteering to lead runs instead of leaving it to the minority of usual individuals.
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 14 May 2016 10:56, edited 4 times in total.

John D

Post by John D » 14 May 2016 10:51

laurence_cooley wrote:Presuming that both the A and the B will be significantly over the guideline distance this week, in future it might be worth trying to co-ordinate longer rides in advance so that someone who wants to do a regular length club run but who might find the C a bit slow still has one option.

(Apologies for sticking my oar in when I haven't been on a club run in a while, but I might have done this Sunday if there was something nearer standard length).
Laurence, we have to be respectful of everyone's ability and I guess the c run has the widest spectrum, however with the b's having an earlier start and a longer run which may not be convenient for everyone, consideration could have been given to a faster group also heading to Leamington at a steady b pace. A bit late now but perhaps worth thinking about next time

JD

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 14 May 2016 10:58

Philip Whiteman wrote:Alternatively, others could start volunteering to lead club runs instead of complaining of inferring that those that do volunteer are somehow at fault. If people are dissatisfied by current club runs then I have a suggestion. Stop complaining and start volunteering to lead runs.
Point taken. I just think that if we advertise the fact that we have weekly club runs and they are a certain length, we ideally shouldn't have both the A and B significantly over that length on the same day. I certainly wasn't trying to blame this week's leaders for that - one could equally argue that the guidelines should be updated to reflect practice.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 14 May 2016 11:06

Philip Whiteman wrote:If people are dissatisfied by current club runs then I have a suggestion. Stop complaining and start volunteering to lead runs instead of leaving it to the minority of usual individuals.
Good point, well made!

However, I think the concern is not dissatisfaction of those turning up casually expecting a normal A/B run but the potential impact on the C run if such individuals go along on that. Those are the people that will need to be respectful of the C run.
Eat cake before you're hungry

VeloVert

Post by VeloVert » 14 May 2016 11:23

John D wrote: With the B's having an early start, some returning from the TOTBC and half decent weather forecast, just as precaution i'd be grateful if 1 or 2 others downloaded the route in the event that we have a large number and need to split the group.

Cheers

JD
I've dropped the course on my Garmin, although I'm kinda hoping I don't have to lead a group, as this is only my second proper club run! Don't mind riding with a more experienced leader and helping out with nav though if I'm the only other one with the course in.

John D

Post by John D » 14 May 2016 13:15

CakeStop wrote:
Philip Whiteman wrote:If people are dissatisfied by current club runs then I have a suggestion. Stop complaining and start volunteering to lead runs instead of leaving it to the minority of usual individuals.
Good point, well made!

However, I think the concern is not dissatisfaction of those turning up casually expecting a normal A/B run but the potential impact on the C run if such individuals go along on that. Those are the people that will need to be respectful of the C run.
Spot on Steve

John D

Post by John D » 14 May 2016 13:18

VeloVert wrote:
John D wrote: With the B's having an early start, some returning from the TOTBC and half decent weather forecast, just as precaution i'd be grateful if 1 or 2 others downloaded the route in the event that we have a large number and need to split the group.

Cheers

JD
I've dropped the course on my Garmin, although I'm kinda hoping I don't have to lead a group, as this is only my second proper club run! Don't mind riding with a more experienced leader and helping out with nav though if I'm the only other one with the course in.

Jason, thanks and good to know. Wouldn't expect you to lead but it's comforting to know that someone else has the route in the event of unforeseen circumstances

JD

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 14 May 2016 19:34

John - I'll put it on my garmin as well. :lol:
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 14 May 2016 20:00

Both the B run and thec A run look like A runs to me, it's a pity that all of the regular A run riders couldn't have joined the run to Telford and have someone lead a B run within the club run guidelines.

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

bikercolin

Post by bikercolin » 14 May 2016 22:32

Thanks for that Dave, I was hovering about what run to come on tomorrow. It will be the C for me.

Cheers Colin

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 14 May 2016 23:46

Philip - My thoughts entirely!

The B Run will be around 79 Miles BH to BH which is not that excessive a distance and given the earlier start time we shall most likely roll back into Fabulous Northfield around normal time.

Tim

Post by Tim » 15 May 2016 08:49

It's 14 miles above the top of the guidelines isn't it? So does look like an A run in all but name. Great if everyone on the B is capable of that though :D
Part of answer is more volunteers to lead 50 - 60 mile b runs to ensure good variety and that c riders can progress up and possible new members with families aren't put off by the long time away from nappy duty!
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 15 May 2016 09:18

Tim wrote:It's 14 miles above the top of the guidelines isn't it? So does look like an A run in all but name. Great if everyone on the B is capable of that though :D
Part of answer is more volunteers to lead 50 - 60 mile b runs to ensure good variety and that c riders can progress up and possible new members with families aren't put off by the long time away from nappy duty!
It is really appreciated to hear from committee members telling club run leaders how to lead club runs especially when they have never joined let alone led a single club within the duration of their membership.Moreover, rather than thanking individuals for their contributions to club life, there is a horrible undertone whereby the minority of individuals willing to lead club runs are being constantly criticised. Often these criticisms are from individuals that have not had the decency to volunteer themselves. In short, put up or shut up.

The last club run that I shall lead will be in two weeks time, after which point the club will need to find yet another willing volunteer. Given the rather gung-ho attitude to volunteers in this club, I may well cancel the next Sunrise and Snowdrop Express depending on the attitudes of others. I am no longer prepared to spend days undertaking voluntary activity when volunteers are subject to constant criticism.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 15 May 2016 10:57

It is really appreciated to hear from committee members telling club run leaders how to lead club runs especially when they have never joined let alone led a single club within the duration of their membership
I think it unfair to criticize members of the committee for not leading club runs, they are all actively involved in different aspects of the club e.g time trials, the Beacon academy racing etc, not leading club runs should not exclude them from discussing this topic.

there is a horrible undertone whereby the minority of individuals willing to lead club runs are being constantly criticised
I think that this is the first time that the committee has discussed this matter, even though some committee members may have been concerned about it for some time.

Dave
David Cole

Tim

Post by Tim » 15 May 2016 11:20

It's not a criticism of nick at all, nick please accept my apology if it reads like that I can be guilty of typing before thinking! Your efforts and anyone's to volunteer as a leader are massively appreciated by everyone on the committee and all members. The comments from Dave, myself, steve and Lawrence I suppose are just trying to support worcs phils job a club run secretary which is not an easy one! As club development person I suppose rightly or wrongly I'm just mindful of wannabe members who might be put off if they see the runs are 80 miles long most weeks.

As Lawrence says if majority of members are wanting the guidelines moved to reflect practice and what they want then no worries but b can't be massively harder than c, most weeks. We want variety though.

I personally welcome feedback good or bad on the things I organise from any area of the club, even from people who have no children or coaching experience.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 15 May 2016 13:20

I have remarked on this before, but the idea of "stepping up " to faster longer club rides seems entirely wrong to me.
Club rides are social events and people should go on rides they feel well within their capacity to enjoy as a social event not feel that the C ride is somehow a training event for the B ride etc.
I have been a pretty regular leader of C runs and try and make them an interesting ride that anyone no matter how fast or slow they are capable of riding can enjoy. The idea that those perfectly capable of riding at a higher pace or for longer periods should have to "step up "to the B ride is putting me of leading any further social C rides.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 15 May 2016 13:30

Philip Whiteman has already said what I was already thinking, however to add.

There is nothing stopping other members from volunteering to lead an alternative A or B run which a) starts at 9:15 or b) is within the club run distance guidelines. I hasten to add these are exactly that... Guidelines and not rigid as I should hope we are a democratically run club not a dictatorship.

As Phil has quite rightly pointed out, there are lots of people who are busily criticising. Would those people be not best to use their energy on arranging and taking a club run sometime soon instead?!

Another point I'd like to make is that the majority of early club runs I have taken have been well received in terms of getting back at an earlier time in order to do other things with family etc.

In addition, those of us who have led longer club runs are doing so in the lead up the 300km Club ride at the end of May. Again, I personally have had no complaints about the distances covered which are not excessive.

I think it's time us regular club run leaders should decline from organising anymore rides and see if anyone else is willing to step up to the plate.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 15 May 2016 13:37

On a lighter note....

Today's B Run to Madeley was most enjoyable and thank you to all who attended:

Nick Shenton (Leading)
Paul Johnson
Neil Orchard
Alistair Hey
Phil Gameson
Paul (Apologies I couldn't remember your surname)
Simon Dighton (Rode with us to the cafe then headed off)
Christopher Ashford

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 15 May 2016 13:41

Nicks_77 wrote:Another point I'd like to make is that the majority of early club runs I have taken have been well received in terms of getting back at an earlier time in order to do other things with family etc.
In case I didn't make this clear enough already, I wasn't criticising your choice of a longer route, Nick. I was just suggesting that it's not ideal for both the A and B to be longer than standard on the same day. I also realise that I haven't led a club run since last year, but in my defence I haven't been on anyone else's either so I don't think I'm freeriding on other people's willingness to volunteer! I will try to lead one at some point soon.

Anyway, I hope the B run went well - it was a nice day for it.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 15 May 2016 14:02

Laurence- With all due respect, why is it such an issue to have 2 long rides on the same day. It is afterall, British summertime so why not make use of the early mornings and good weather?

As I have also already pointed out, someone could have quite easily led another shorter ride at 9:15 could they not?

mouthonastick

Post by mouthonastick » 15 May 2016 14:21

Thanks for the great welcome and encouragement on this mornings B run. Paid my dues by Paypal on return, so look forward to meeting up again next week.

Is it 8.15 or 9.15 start???

;)

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 15 May 2016 14:24

Nicks_77 wrote:Laurence- With all due respect, why is it such an issue to have 2 long rides on the same day. It is afterall, British summertime so why not make use of the early mornings and good weather?
One reason is offering choice, and something that has come up at committee meetings several times recently is that there are quite a few people on the C run who would like to do more B runs but find the combination of jump in speed and distance a barrier to doing so. Personally, I would have labelled your ride today as the A run and then there could have been a slower, shorter B run (although obviously this would require a leader stepping forward). Also, you had a decent number on your ride today, but if Philip hadn't been ill and those people had been split between an A and a B run, the numbers on each would have been pretty small. My reading of that is that there was enough appetite for one
long club run but perhaps not two. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though, because I don't know how many people saw Lisa's message about the A and didn't show up at the Black Horse as a result.
Nicks_77 wrote:As I have also already pointed out, someone could have quite easily led another shorter ride at 9:15 could they not?
Personally, I wouldn't have felt comfortable leading a shorter A/B ride when one had already been advertised, because I would feel like I was undermining the leader who had already volunteered.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 15 May 2016 14:30

1. The reason I was planning to earlier was actually due to a requirement to return home early due to engagement, so the departure time had absolutely nothing to with distance. That is all pretty academic in any case as I spent a couple of hours vomiting into a toilet.

2. Many thanks Nick for taking any stragglers from the A. People must have seen Lisa's post, given the people who spoke to me yesterday and mentioned that they would be joining the A run today but did not.

3. As for Nick's suggestion that regular leaders should leading club runs for the foreseeable future, the lack courtesy afforded by committee members to its volunteers has already determined the outcome with regard to my situation and I will not be leading any more club runs after the end of this month. Lambasting ordinary members on the message board is not appropriate, and yes I have been copied into various 'internal correspondence' in recent months! If they had 'suspects' then they should have been approached privately via a phone call or e-mail to discuss the matter through whilst gaining a more accurate picture for themselves in the process.

4. Feedback has always provided me with a useful basis for planning club runs. You know that you are undertaking an activity well when the participants thank your for that day's effort. They provide my benchmark. To my knowledge, the only criticism with regard to my A runs has surrounded their hilly nature as Matt Regan will confirm!
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 15 May 2016 15:17, edited 3 times in total.

IanT

Post by IanT » 15 May 2016 15:02

Enjoying the perfect weather on today's entirely controversy free A run to Malvern were:

Ian Taylor
Matt Reagan
Keith Adcock
Craig Walmsley
Ben Walmsey
Steve Philpott
Ian Simpson
Martin McGowan

Excellent conditions out to Malvern via Stouport and Ankerdine, home via Worcester and Droitwich. 87 miles on arriving back at the Black Horse at 2.15pm.

One incident to note - we were pursued for at least 15 miles on leaving British Camp by a friendly photographer, taking photos of us as an, ahem, team before zipping past in his car to pick another spot down the road. We gave him the club facebook page in case any of the snaps were useable...

Note for our Club Run Secretary - todays run saw pretty much everyone take a good turn on the front for long periods an the navigation as a team effort so leader points all round please Phil!

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 15 May 2016 15:22

Thanks for leading today Nick it was too early, too long,the cafe was too cheap and Neil's story will give me sleepless nights. :lol:

P.s Next week's club run will leave at 9.14am. :wink:

matthew

Post by matthew » 15 May 2016 15:25

Thanks to all on a enjoyable a run today. I got to ride me bike have a chat to me mates & eat some cake. What more can one man ask for.

Ps did you rub to much of that fanishing cream on today phill :shock:
m regan

gmac

Post by gmac » 15 May 2016 15:26

Thank you John for today's c run, really enjoyed it and thanks everyone for their great company.
Gary

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 15 May 2016 15:35

I'd also like to echo Phil & Nicks points. The regular rider leaders can be counted on one hand...and this is not good enough. I'm all for voicing different opinions, but when one shouts from the sidelines at people who are stepping up to plan and lead rides, it's rather rude.

If people want a shorter B run on a day when someone has planned an early start to lead a longer one...there is absolutely no reason we cannot do 1B & 2B rides. All someone has to do is get off their backsides and organise it...something which takes as little as posting a message here.

So come on people...start sticking your hands up and lead some rides.
Last edited by jdtate101 on 15 May 2016 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

bikercolin

C run

Post by bikercolin » 15 May 2016 15:35

Forgive me for going off topic, but thanks to John for a great C ride today.

Cheers Colin

John D

Post by John D » 15 May 2016 15:38

A none controversial (I hope), c run to Leamington with a relatively strong, sociable and well disciplined group. Congrats to Lee Owen who coped without too much obvious effort. Really enjoyed it guys (and gal). Back at just after 2pm with 56 ish miles covered.

Out today were

John Deeley
Lee Owen (first club run)
Joe Warwood
Dave Little (excellent sweeper as ever)
Huan Dong
Gary Mac
Colin Hall
Jason Green
Helen Jamieson
Andy Wrightson
Ryan Evanson
Giovanni Del Vecchio (who had a most unfortunate incident with some birds//it, hope the taste has now gone)

JD

keith

Post by keith » 15 May 2016 15:53

Thanks to everyone on a The A today. Being eye candy for the 'paps' is a heavy burden but we just had to suc it in (literally) and get on with it. Sun cake and hills ,with your mates as good as it gets . A deft bit of navigation by mr Simpson getting us through Worcester I doubt even the council know some of those roads exist .
Last edited by keith on 15 May 2016 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

neilo

B run to madeley

Post by neilo » 15 May 2016 16:46

Thanks for leading today nic and for everyone else for the company, great weather, cafe was good and apologies to Paul for ruining his breakfast :roll:

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 15 May 2016 17:00

As Phil has already commented the feedback I have received has only ever been positive.

If anyone has a particular issue with one of my club runs then I'd be happy to hear their opinion/comments.
Last edited by Nicks_77 on 15 May 2016 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

bikercolin

Sunday rides

Post by bikercolin » 15 May 2016 17:04

As a newish club member I feel I must comment. Please be careful with criticism ment or not of the ride leaders and members.
The. reason I joined Beacon was it was unlike several other clubs I have come across. I first met Beacon members at the Audax events that I think are some of the best organised and most friendly events I have entered.
Regular Sunday ride outs for a range of abilities, led by friendly, thoughtfull knowledgable leaders. With the club appearing equal, tolerant, open and inclusive.
All of the members who give freely of their time and expertise should be applauded and thanked.

many thanks Colin

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 15 May 2016 17:59

Thanks for everyone's comments. To try to make it as clear as possible that none of my comments (I think I speak for Tim and other committee members too) are aimed at any particular club run leaders, the problem as I see it is that, as a club, we are advertising Sunday social club runs within a certain speed and distance range, but an increasing proportion of club runs don't actually match those descriptions. As an now-infrequent participant on club runs, that doesn't bother me in and of itself (after all, what the club does should reflect what its members want to do), but although many people go on and very much enjoy the Sunday rides, the committee has been receiving an increased number of complaints from members who no longer feel welcome on club runs for a variety of reasons including the fact that longer, faster runs have become routinised. I have been reluctant to discuss those complaints because of the risk of breaching confidentiality, but Simon as chair has offered to summarise the issue based on our discussion of it at last Monday's committee meeting when he gets time. Hopefully this will provide a bit more context to all this.

So, to reiterate, this isn't a complaint about today's club run leaders or about any leaders in particular, but about making sure that club runs are as inclusive as possible.
Last edited by laurence_cooley on 15 May 2016 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 15 May 2016 19:54

All that is required is public apology to myself and Nick. Nothing more and nothing less.

Tim

Post by Tim » 15 May 2016 20:54

Phil and Nick you can both have a public apology from me. As clearly my response earlier has offended you and made you feel unvalued. You both do a great numbers of hours and days volunteering for the club and no one is criticising you. If it read as that I'm really sorry.

We volunteer ourselves as committee members, last Monday had to spend an evening with the likes of Lawrence and Dave at a meeting discussing the rising average distance of b runs and some complaints. We also heard absolutely brilliant feedback about club runs too and numbers are identical to last year. We are just trying to do our best for the club and the sport we love.

Part of the reason I made my I'll judged and poorly timed comment was exactly because of the lack of club run leader volunteers. I expect there will be more members capable of leading a 55 mile b run so it's just a reminder of the run guidelines. Also I personally like Colin says absolutely love the club's welcoming feel but actually think the club runs could be even more accessible to individuals who may be less fit or time pressured without losing anything of what we offer now.

So again apologies, feel free to come along to the next committee meeting and I'll buy you a pint and we can clear the air etc. and Id love to hear your ideas on how we can make club run volunteers feel more valued, we all discussed it six months ago and have tried to show more appreciation but there's clearly more we can do. Free club jersey after 15 ride leads, free membership cashback for anyone who leads 5 rides in a year, etc etc??

I'm off to examine the calendar to see when I can make my second ever club run and lead.

keith

Post by keith » 15 May 2016 21:07

Philip Whiteman wrote:All that is required is public apology to myself and Nick. Nothing more and nothing less.
We need to keep this from getting out of control , Descusion can only be a good thing . Much better than grumbling in corners

Don't forget Phil you once tagged on to one of my B runs to
" Observe the problem "
was I offended ? You bet your ass I was , but I realised you were only trying to help and it led to the formation of the C run . Similarly Nick made a very innocent comment about a new destination been such a change from the samey club runs, this was at a time when I was leading a lot of runs ,and I really took it to heart , still struggling with that one to be honest, but I was only ever annoyed but the comment not the person
A lot of people are involved with other things at the moment so there perhaps not quite the viriaty at the moment . A lot of people are trying to get the miles in before the 300 and a lot of A and B runners are hoping to be involved . So the A and B are looking a bit the same at the moment.

The point is we all want the best for the club and its members. I don't think anybody was criticising any one. I can't help thinking that had the comments been made in conversation with the benefit of revised eye brows etc. This would not have got this personal . Promise to lead a short flat run as soon as the open TTs have finished . Not strong enough to to do both I'm afraid

matthew

Post by matthew » 15 May 2016 21:32

I think on Sunday next week @ 915am we should all have a group hug. Then ride our bikes :roll:
m regan

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 15 May 2016 21:35

Thanks Keith for your comments, as Laurence has pointed out, the Committee meeting last Monday discussed an analysis of the C and B club rides, This will be published on the Message Board along with the Minutes in the next day or so for member to read. There have been some grumbles about some of the rides being longer and faster than the standard club run guidelines and the only way to investigate this was to look at some data. I undertook this analysis to find out what the length of the rides were and the average speed that they were being undertaken so that there was some data for the committee to discuss.

The club has a variety rides billed as A, B and C to permit riders with a range of abilities or preference to participate. New riders often join a C ride and as they improve they may like to move up to one which matches their ability as appropriate. If the Club has rides that are similar in distance and speed that will reduce some rider's choice, where participation is determined by the ability of the rider. To ensure inclusiveness for those of varying abilities I would like to encourage that the standard club rides are maintained through the continuing excellent support of those who are willing and able to lead. Should individual riders wish to lead rides that are outside the suggested guidelines that is OK, however it would be helpful to still have a volunteers for each the standard club rides. Riders lead where they feel able, depending upon experience , ability, confidence and possibly other factors, however just because they choose not to lead, it should ideally not restrict their choice of ride.

I see from the comments that there has been some emotion expressed on this subject. The Beacon RCC is an excellent cycling club and I have heard many favourable comments from individuals about the club's activities, ethos and friendliness of the members. I would wish to see that maintained, this can only be achieved by the cooperation and respect of all members in whatever aspect they make contribution. Some are able to do more than others and there are many commendable and extensive contributions by members devoting time and energy for the benefit of others.

Thanks to those who have commented, I request that members please be respectful of other views in expressing their opinion.
Si Walker