Club runs - 17th July

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 17th July

Post by WorcsPhil » 11 Jul 2016 09:40

Big thanks to Huan as a new leader on the C-run last week, and an excellent turnout to support him. Thinking about this, this is a good example of how we do support new leaders, and appreciate their efforts, so new leaders are always great to see...thanks again, Huan.

This is particularly apt as we have not had a full set of rides in the last couple of weeks due to lack of leaders, even resulting in Dave Hughes leading the A-ride constituting just himself...points awarded, Dave...you deserve it for your post alone!

Anyway, it would be helpful to all if we can get leaders listed a week or two in advance, so please consider this and post to the July/August/September thread on the message board, and traditional destinations are very welcome also, you don't have to seek out new civilisations.

It's the Kiddy Killer and Clee audaxes in two weeks, so with the forecast looking good, it would be good if we can have a big turnout this week and a C-run leader stepping up sooner rather than later. This weeks rides are led by the former bad boys of club runs (joke...please don't take offence!), who are:

A: British Camp (Malvern) - Philip Whiteman (08:15 START)
B: Upton - Nick Shenton (8:30 START)
C: Evesham - Dave Cox
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 18 Jul 2016 09:08, edited 2 times in total.

George

Post by George » 12 Jul 2016 11:15

What's the ETA at British Camp, Phil? Presumably you have a horribly hilly route in mind for the section after British Camp?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 12 Jul 2016 11:31

George wrote:What's the ETA at British Camp, Phil? Presumably you have a horribly hilly route in mind for the section after British Camp?
Hello George. The ETA is difficult to tell. I would guess between 1045 and 11.15 The return route I have not yet formulated but I suspect it will be via Suckley or Alfrick before passing the Beast of Ankerdine.

George

Post by George » 12 Jul 2016 16:07

Thanks, Phil. I'll consider my options and the weather forecast closer to the day, and may or may not roll up there to say hello.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 12 Jul 2016 17:02

George...how can you resist the lure of a wooden hut at the top of a climb! See you there.

Phil...when you say 'passing the beast of Ankerdine', surely you mean 'BYpassing the beast of Ankerdine', important letters you missed out, methinks.

C-run volunteer...we need you!

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 13 Jul 2016 15:14

B Run to Upton - 8:30 start time!

This Sunday's B Run to Upton on Severn will be approx 80 Miles on a pan flat route to the Marina just outside the town.

Heading out via Hanbury and heading back via Droitwich.

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 15 Jul 2016 10:22

What time will the A/B routes be back in Brum? not been out on a club run before so trying to plan for the rest of sunday. cheers

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 15 Jul 2016 12:39

GavPass wrote:What time will the A/B routes be back in Brum? not been out on a club run before so trying to plan for the rest of sunday. cheers
Aiming to get you back to the BH for around 2pm.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 15 Jul 2016 15:03

GavPass wrote:What time will the A/B routes be back in Brum? not been out on a club run before so trying to plan for the rest of sunday. cheers
Betweem 2 and 3 probably

Ian

Post by Ian » 16 Jul 2016 08:52

Phil, just to clarify. Will we be riding up to British Camp most of the way but running the last bit!!!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 Jul 2016 09:21

Eddy wrote:Phil, just to clarify. Will we be riding up to British Camp most of the way but running the last bit!!!
It is just about possible to ride to the top but it is steep. You will need a 50 tooth cassette and 10 tooth inner chain ring.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 16 Jul 2016 21:03

Just got back from France. I'll lead a C Run to Evesham

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 17 Jul 2016 14:22

As you can tell, it was an easy ride given the early return time.

Philip Whiteman (L) + squirrel.
Ian Taylor
Craig Walmsley
Ben Walmsley
Phil Richards
Martin Mcgowan
Ian Simpson
Vince Tennant
Matt Regan (to the cafe only)
George Barker (somewhat delayed :oops: )

Many thanks everyone for the company. The return route was bumpy but we did bypass Ankerdine which was a mighty relief. Jock Campbell, a former Beacon regular, also joined us for a few miles near Barnt Green. Great to see Jock again.

Near Alfrick, I successfully ran over a squirrel which provided a strange squelching and crunching sound underneath the front wheel. It seemed to dart back across the road probably to die rather painfully in a nearby hedge.
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 18 Jul 2016 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 17 Jul 2016 17:44

A brilliant turn out this morning for an earlier start time on the B Run to Upton on Severn. On today's Pan Flat route (Said with tongue in cheek) were -

Nick Shenton (L)
Alistair Hey
Alan Weaver
Carolyn Clegg
Helen Jamieson
Neil Orchard
Paul Johnson
Andy Terry
Andy Wrightson
Phil Gameson
Phil Elwell
Ka
Gavin Passmore
John Deeley
Niall Whitehouse

Thanks to everyone who turned out on what turned out to be a scorchio day. Great company and banter as usual.

Only one incident to note and that was of my hedge dive into stinging nettles. All very funny emerging out of the hedge covered in undergrowth. Now numbing the pain with copious amounts of beer and antihistamine cream.

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 17 Jul 2016 18:00

B run + ( 5 minutes late! )

Neil Lynch - leading
Joe Warwood
Ryan Evanson

A fear of sporadic outburst of singing on the official B run caused a mass over-sleeping . Never the less a club run of sorts happened and we made it to Upton on Severn and back.

It was a good pace, good company and some adhoc routing, but unfortunately we never did meet up with the official B run.

No animals where hurt, but I did see a squirrel with a limp and what looked like a tire mark?
Last edited by NeilL on 17 Jul 2016 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

matthew

Post by matthew » 17 Jul 2016 18:00

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w06e9tk31hyv ... Go5ea?dl=0
Here is some photos of the a run today at British camp when you all left me 😢
m regan

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 17 Jul 2016 18:04

C Run to Evesham starting at a civilised 9.15!

Dave Cox (leading)
Neil Evanston
Fred Dickson
Mark McConkey
Mark Gardener
Huan Dong

IanT

Post by IanT » 17 Jul 2016 19:26

Thanks to Phil for leading an excellent A run. A paragraph on how to deal with rogue squirrels is now surely long overdue in the club run guidelines...

John D

Post by John D » 17 Jul 2016 20:09

Nick, thanks for leading today and bearing with some of us still trying to get used to the quicker pace. Thoroughly enjoyed it and pleased you recovered the Garmin. Got to say that it was quite an impressive hedge dive.

Cheers

JD

George

Post by George » 18 Jul 2016 09:59

Apologies for my antics yesterday.

I fancied going to Malvern to meet Phil and co, but didn't fancy a very hilly circuit, so decided to make a long loop out to the east of Worcester and then take a shorter route home. I measured my outward loop and found it was 68km, and guessed that it would take me 2.5 hours. That would mean averaging 27.2kph. But with the last part being all up hill, I would need to do at least 28 as far as Welland. The plan was to set off at 8:30 and arrive at 11:00 (the middle of Phil's 30-minute ETA window).

I began as I nearly always begin by setting off slightly late. Otherwise things went swimmingly; I was riding at exactly my intended speed. Then, near Crowle, I came round a bend and saw the B run in front of me. It was clear that they were doing textbook B run speed... which is just a little less than my schedule required. That presented me with a quandary. If I rode to Upton with the Bs, I would fall further behind schedule. If I sneakily turned off before they saw me, I would be adding extra kms and would again be late. And if I rode straight past them, it would look unsociable and like a rather pathetic attempt at showing off.

In the end, I settled for riding up to Nick, apologising for my behaviour and then carrying on at my own speed. I rode on for a while, before stupidly taking the first right in Defford instead of the second right. After a short while, I realised my mistake and did a U turn, accompanied by numerous expletives. I turned back onto my intended route... and found that I was once again 100 metres behind the B run. Much mirth ensued.

Anyway, the combination of the late start and the wrong turn resulted in me arriving at British camp at 11:15 instead of 11:00. And, of course, Sod's Law dictates that if one gets somewhere at the end of the ETA window, the group will have arrived at the start of the window and only lingered for a few minutes. Fortunately for me (less so for Matt), Matt was still there because he was meeting his wife, whose navigational skills were proving to be like mine only more so.

I had a long coffee with Matt followed by a leisurely ride home via a route that I made up as I went along. I've had fifty-odd years to reconcile myself to being a twat, so, despite the errors, it was quite an enjoyable morning, really.