Velo Birmingham Closed Road Sportive

Discussion about audaxes & cyclosportives

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry

Tim

Velo Birmingham Closed Road Sportive

Post by Tim » 28 Sep 2016 07:21

https://m.facebook.com/groups/608633359 ... 9413150964

Put Beacon RCC as team name on entry. You need to pre register by 5pm today then entry opens 8am first come first served tomorrow.

www.velobirmingham.com
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

Tim

Post by Tim » 28 Sep 2016 10:48

You can enter today if a bc member. Let me have your email and I'll send you the link

Looking forward to it already as can't do London ever due to date. It's a bit pricey sure but zero travel and hotel costs and really unique. Should be a great atmosphere with the closed roads, 15k others and supporters.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 Sep 2016 12:00

Tim wrote: It's a bit pricey sure.....
Understatement!!

As if the £75 entry fee isn't enough, they want another £3.75 as well for admin costs?

Of course, you could always pay for for FastTrack entry at a mere £115 and oh and of course £5.75 admin costs.

In the meantime I'll just continue to ride Audax events on the exact same roads with free tea and cake and £8 to enter.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Tim

Post by Tim » 28 Sep 2016 13:30

I do wonder what people thought it was going to cost?

Closing 100 miles of roads I'm sure doesn't come cheap for all the man power, admin, logistics, policing, insurance etc.
Personally I'd said to myself if under £100 I'd do it.
A 50min crit at a free venue is £10 each. One hour at the London velodrome is £40.

Tour of Cambridgeshire also closed roads exactly same price. It's a once a year or every few years thing for me. I did Etape du Tour a few years back and entry was £170 and six years on still think about it as one of best events I've ever done. Worth every penny. I could have just ridden the miles and route on my own for nothing but that's not the same thing. Of course a club run or audax or little mountain time trial is way better value and Id do thirty of them for every one of these but they don't include the closed roads or atmosphere that comes with a mass participation event and think they would cost a bit more for insurance and man power if there were 15k entries.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 Sep 2016 15:23

Each to their own, I'm going to enter in the region of 14 Audax events (mostly on the exact same roads) at probably fourteen times the distance still have change for extra tea and cakes at all of them.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Carl_Williams

Post by Carl_Williams » 28 Sep 2016 18:57

From Birmingham Cyclist on Twitter:
"That's a 'No! from me, then. £78.75 to ride my bike for 100 miles is very steep. Unlike St Kenelm's Pass, which is merely quite steep." <@>
Why stand when you can sit, why sit when you can lie, why lie when you can sleep. Brian Robinson

keith

Post by keith » 29 Sep 2016 00:56

I expect you will all be selling your carbon fibre bikes in favor of something cheap out of the Argos book . I don't normally do sportives but this is kind of a one off . If I get the email reply in in the morning of course. It's defiantly an each to their own job this
Last edited by keith on 29 Sep 2016 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 29 Sep 2016 07:54

Moaning about the costs is rather missing the point. Even at £75 a head an event like this will struggle to meet the costs of closing roads and providing adequate marshalling for 15000 riders, a good percentage of them playing at racing with little idea about how to do it. Unlike real racing or events such as Audax I can't see people giving their time freely.

The problem I see with these events is they can create an expectation of what to expect of a cycling event which those organised by volunteers will not be able to forfill.

I would pay to ride on roads closed to other cyclists rather than cars as my experience of sportives is of a far higher level of danger caused by cyclists than I experience from drivers on country roads. And this doesn't even deal with the rubbish that sportive cyclists seem to feel is their right to chuck all over the roads.

Whilst it's up to you if you go on these things it would be good to see the same level of support for events organised by volunteers for this and other clubs.

We don't all want to ride around in mass packs on A roads. The two late winter early spring Audax are coming up long before this event, how about signing up?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 29 Sep 2016 10:02

CSM Sport and Entertainment is the company behind Velobirmingham. They describe their interest as "CSM Sport & Entertainment, a global leader in the business of sport and entertainment, announced today a new active lifestyle business, CSM Active, providing CSM with an entry point and presence in the popular mass participation market, a sector which has significant growth potential", with Velobirmingham being its first venture into this activity.

keith

Post by keith » 29 Sep 2016 10:47

I don't think Sportives have the monopoly on idiots . Been close to been taken out on a few audaxs in my time.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 29 Sep 2016 11:11

keith wrote:I don't think Sportives have the monopoly on idiots . Been close to been taken out on a few audaxs in my time.
Quite! At the beginning of an audax it is useful to zoom off ahead to avoid any numpties within the pack, although there usually fewer compared to a sportive. But, audaxes have their own unique problems. Sleep deprivation amongst 300km+ events can be a serious problem. I have heard of people suffering hallucinations, falling asleep whilst pedaling or loosing concentration.

Tim

Post by Tim » 29 Sep 2016 11:22

People seem to be missing the point of the original post. For those doing this put Beacon RCC as team name so we may be able to ride bits together and we see some friendly faces in the wait at the start and can wear our club colours together. Or don't if you'd rather not be near me!

I'd say opposite happened in my experience regarding experience expectations. I did a couple of sportives in first year of owning a road bike, loved them, then joined Beacon and did other TTs, crits, audax and a club run and loved them even more (better run, more relaxed, personal, far better value, tougher challenges etc) and it's taken something unique to come along for me to spend my cash again on a sportive.

keith

Post by keith » 29 Sep 2016 11:35

I didn't realize there was a team option but it could be quite nice.
The website for the event has crashed big time anyway so who knows if i'll get in.
Might do a club run based on the route , for those who wand t to do it on the cheap and in the best of company,

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 30 Sep 2016 12:07

Philip Whiteman wrote:CSM Sport and Entertainment is the company behind Velobirmingham. They describe their interest as "CSM Sport & Entertainment, a global leader in the business of sport and entertainment, announced today a new active lifestyle business, CSM Active, providing CSM with an entry point and presence in the popular mass participation market, a sector which has significant growth potential", with Velobirmingham being its first venture into this activity.
Beat me to it..

They won't be doing any of it for the love of cycling etc etc, it's a commercial venture, out to make as much money as possible for the owners of CSM.
It's all been worth it just to watch the social media car-crash and would happily pay nothing again, next year, to watch how badly they have handled it.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 30 Sep 2016 12:28

Got to admit that when a company can't be bothered to stress test a website before going live it makes me concerned about how well they can handle stuff in the real world. BCC has a very very poor record in regards to commissioning IT, a point made several times in the recent government reports on BCC's shameful use of public funds over the last couple of decades.
One of the other criticisms of BCC was that they constantly spend large amounts of capital on publicity seeking projects with no thought to funding into the future.
Seems that the Birmingham Cycling Revolution people have paid little or no attention to any of the various reports.
Unfortunately cycling in Birmingham is likely to suffer as a result of a few politicians using the issues for their personal political careers without concern for the longer-term.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 04 Oct 2016 13:55

Putting aside the Marmite qualities that divides opinion, I thought it would be interesting to examine the process required for the road closures.

In summary:

- The legislation providing authority to conduct the event is Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984.
- Velobirmingham will need to meet the local authorities's cost for Public Liability Insurance to indemnify themselves and the traffic authorities. That will not be a cheap process in itself.
- Velobirmingham will require permission from Birmingham, Staffordshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire councils plus consultation with another five district councils. Highways England's involvement will required in terms of truck road closures.
- They will also require support from the two Safety Advisory Partnerships which include the local authorities (again), two police forces, three fire services and three ambulance trusts. The partnerships may stipulate a whole range of measures including risk assessments, the requirement for Velobirmingham to communicate with businesses and residents etc. Velobirmingham may be asked to meet policing costs. They would also be required to provide marshals throughout.
- If emergency road closures are required the a diversion will need to be agreed between the highways authority and the organisers.

To the best of knowledge, the respective councils have not agreed the road closures at the political level. I have certainly not seen anything from Worcestershire CC.

In other words, this is a logistical nightmare! Velobeacon events are exempted from all of the above.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 04 Oct 2016 18:59

One might expect that they'd agreed in principle with all the relevant authorities before selling places. Have the scarecrows booked their slot next year yet?
Eat cake before you're hungry

Les Ladbury

Post by Les Ladbury » 04 Oct 2016 19:24

Philip Whiteman wrote:Putting aside the Marmite qualities that divides opinion, I thought it would be interesting to examine the process required for the road closures.

In summary:

- The legislation providing authority to conduct the event is Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984.
- Velobirmingham will need to meet the local authorities's cost for Public Liability Insurance to indemnify themselves and the traffic authorities. That will not be a cheap process in itself.
- Velobirmingham will require permission from Birmingham, Staffordshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire councils plus consultation with another five district councils. Highways England's involvement will required in terms of truck road closures.
- They will also require support from the two Safety Advisory Partnerships which include the local authorities (again), two police forces, three fire services and three ambulance trusts. The partnerships may stipulate a whole range of measures including risk assessments, the requirement for Velobirmingham to communicate with businesses and residents etc. Velobirmingham may be asked to meet policing costs. They would also be required to provide marshals throughout.
- If emergency road closures are required the a diversion will need to be agreed between the highways authority and the organisers.

To the best of knowledge, the respective councils have not agreed the road closures at the political level. I have certainly not seen anything from Worcestershire CC.

In other words, this is a logistical nightmare! Velobeacon events are exempted from all of the above.
All of the above brings to mind a signal issued by Winston Churchill which said
"Action this day, do not seek problems they will manifest themselves"
To what was he referring, I'll leave that to you to guess
Les

Tim

Post by Tim » 04 Oct 2016 19:48

Sold out. There are charity places still available though. Can't wait!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 05 Oct 2016 09:36

CakeStop wrote:One might expect that they'd agreed in principle with all the relevant authorities before selling places. Have the scarecrows booked their slot next year yet?
They are apparently in discussions with Velobirmingham. An accommodation between the two events would not work either, with 15,000 cyclists and 5,000 pedestrians meandering across the road would fail a risk assessment on every score. It would be easier for the Scarecrows to move the date rather than Velobirmingham. What will be difficult is securing a second road closure within that period.

dweben

Post by dweben » 05 Oct 2016 23:51

I assume the road closures won't stop be using the roads for my own personal bimble on the bike. I usually come back through Belbroughton!

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 06 Oct 2016 00:16

dweben wrote:I assume the road closures won't stop be using the roads for my own personal bimble on the bike. I usually come back through Belbroughton!
Just zip tie a laminated 5 digit number to your bars and you'll be fine.

Tim

Post by Tim » 10 Feb 2017 17:21

Few more places have been added if anyone's interested. To help you prepare for the Beacon Falling Leaves Audax :D

Tim

Re: Velo Birmingham Closed Road Sportive

Post by Tim » 07 Sep 2017 10:59

Pen A1 7.20am start for me. Although one of my mates is 8.15 so may have to move back to him.

caashford

Post by caashford » 07 Sep 2017 11:30

07:10 with the Business 100 Team. See you there! I am recruiting for another member if anyone is interested. No charge. I am trying to give the space away to colleagues at work but can't find anyone.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 07 Sep 2017 17:45

I'm in Wave A2 leaving at 7.25

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 07 Sep 2017 23:15

Also A2 leaving at 7:25. 😊
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

Les Ladbury

Post by Les Ladbury » 08 Sep 2017 07:21

Am I missing something ?
Why pay a hundred quid to ride roads on a Sunday when one can cycle the very same roads the previous day for nothing and spend the money saved on a rather good lunch ?
Les

Tim

Post by Tim » 08 Sep 2017 07:28

£70odd quid Les. Closed roads in Birmingham! 15k riders. Atmosphere.

Les Ladbury

Post by Les Ladbury » 08 Sep 2017 14:33

I've just looked at the list of road closures in Worcestershire which are published in this weeks freebie newspaper. The whole thing is going to be a PR disaster as far as cycling is concerned.
Les

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 18 Sep 2017 09:04

Me and Phil Elwell are also in A2, looks like this is the Beacon spot!

dannewns

Post by dannewns » 18 Sep 2017 15:36

ive been lumped into C3 which im gutted about as everyone else i know is out way earlier than me. looks like im going to be chasing from the off.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 18 Sep 2017 16:30

I'm in A1 at 07:10 with Tim. I've stuffed a long handled broom in my saddle bag, so if I get to the tin tacks first, I'll sweep them out of the way whilst I'm repairing my pnucture :D

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 20 Sep 2017 12:48

WorcsPhil wrote:
18 Sep 2017 16:30
I'm in A1 at 07:10 with Tim. I've stuffed a long handled broom in my saddle bag, so if I get to the tin tacks first, I'll sweep them out of the way whilst I'm repairing my pnucture :D
Putting aside from the risk of tacks or other forms of stupid sabotage, keep your eyes open for vehicles on the carriageway. The barriers at junctions consist of only half a dozen road cones which won't deter anyone and marshals will only be present at key intersections.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 25 Sep 2017 09:05

so, the Velo Birmingham went ahead, and sure there were some teething problems with a late start (sabotage or parked buses, I think - which ironically kept the roads for longer than they would have been - er, which was counter-productive) a bit of sabotage on the roads (oil spills, some tacks and a farmer throwing his hedge cuttings on the road (has anyone ever met a happy-go-lucky farmer?)), angry drivers and feedstops running out of stuff, but my experience of the event was very positive.

I admit, I started near the front, but had a clear run all the way round, and was touched at the support from the roadside, a big shout out for Kinver, but especially Bewdley, where the barriered high street was 4 or 5 people deep, all cheering and rattling cow bells, the townsfolk and visitors of Bewdley showed themselves in fantastic light yesterday. I suspect I was not alone, by high fiving loads of kids and shouting back my thanks for the support.

The route was fairly tough for a closed road sportive, with times at least 30mins slower than RideLondon, but I guess we live in a hilly area. This made for a testing day out. Kudos to Adam Green who appeared to be the fastest Beacon finisher at 4hrs 43, which made him 53rd over 11,500 finishers...

So a few problems to iron out for Velo as I see the 2018 event is already confirmed, especially in agreeing the route early, and communicating this more, but in my humble opinion, it was worth the hassle, and made for a day to remember.

caashford

Post by caashford » 25 Sep 2017 11:55

Just to follow Phil's points, I also really enjoyed the Velo. I was in the Business 100 section, and similarly to Phil got a good run at the start - it did however mean I had the whole morning being spent being overtaken... clearly more focus required on cycling than running!

I think the only issues I was aware of were the late start (07:10 was actually 07:40) when I got rolling (this wouldn't have been great in the p**sing rain), some oil on the road (not sure if this was a a genuine spill or accidentally on purpose), some "no velo" signs in Belbroughton (but no one actually saying / shouting anything). I heard about feedstops running out, and some delays there, but no issues from myself. I also put on my feedback not to have the last pitstop at the bottom of St. Kenelm's it just caused a lot of confusion and trying to eat a gel whilst going up the steepest climb isn't exactly the best time / location / nutrition strategy...

I also agree that the support through Bewdley was great, the kids out giving high-5's and their mini-fuel and cake stops showed people were really enthusiastic about it. There were a few areas where there was loads of chalk messages on the road in Belbroughton, and whole families out cheering - i can see some if these areas being real iconic areas of support (much like Sheephouse Lane for Ironman Bolton).

Great to see so many Beaconites out on the road, local cycling clubs and also a range of "non-cyclists" doing their bit for charity, and many taking on their first ever 100 mile challenge. I think it showed the local area in a great light, with the ride and the Half Marathon should reflect the local area as a great place for sport / activity.

Is it worth £70? I leave that up to individuals, but I certainly think that the price won't stop it selling out next year.

keith

Post by keith » 25 Sep 2017 12:16

A really great event .Although I was quite a late starter I made fairly good time I only stopped once for water and a banana at Droitwich so I didn't experience any closed feed stops . I was delighted with the positive attitude from the people watching . I saw one little exchange with a resident and a marshal but it was in Cradley so I had no idea what was been said . Kinver and Bewedly were especially good. Cresting st Ken Elms is much easer when you've got a decent crowd chearing you on .I know I can go and ride the course tomorrow for free. But apart from a few notable exceptions how often does the average Beacon member get to experience riding past crowds like that .
Riding on closed roads with that many people is really very different to any thing I normally do . Nice to see all 300 members of Team Sky on the way round as well! .Sure there are things to iron out for next year , but I think it went really well when you consider the enormity of the undertaking. My first sportive but not my last

Tim

Post by Tim » 25 Sep 2017 12:21

Agreed Phil, I had a similar experience. I rode with two mates, pretty inexperienced road cyclists but experienced at doing other events like marathons and halves etc and they thought the whole event was brilliant and they couldn't get over how supportive and friendly everyone was around the course, big thanks to the lads at 12 miles supporting who went into their house to lend us a track pump. My friends also commented on how great the feed stops were (obviously not so good if nearer back and things had run out!). Like any mass participation event it was inspiring seeing so many people of different ages and sizes taking on the challenge. If they can somehow encourage more women to take part would be my only thought on how it could be improved. Special kudos to the chap I saw at the 56mile stop with an above the knee amputation riding with a prosthetic leg and the lady in her 70s wearing trackies getting round on a shopper with panniers.

Maybe next year we can get a Beacon support stop organised with the gazebo up at the top of a climb with a bit of mechanical support and free food and sports massage available or something.

Bewdley you are right Phil was a major major highlight.

Already pre-registered for next year.

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 25 Sep 2017 16:51

Despite having the worst cramp imaginable for the second half of the ride and feeling like I was crawling along at time I had a great day out. The support along the route was quite touching as I'd never done a mass participation event like it. Hagley road was a perfect starting venue as it gave plenty of room to pass safely and I loved the route, even if it was pretty lumpy.

I was riding quite early so didn't experience any issues with feed stops, but my poor dad who had trained especially for it was met with no food and a huge queue for water at the feed stops. I can see how this could of meant disaster for those that hadn't done a ride that far before and had come ill prepared.

Having seen what goes into major events, the issues they did have on course for the first event were pretty minor and I'm sure can be sorted ready for next year.... bring on 2018!

keith

Post by keith » 25 Sep 2017 17:59

The best banner of the day was in in Bewedly
" shut up legs keep going "
And the comment that made me chuckle was on the climb out of Kinver which ain't easy and a guy shouted
" Hurry up all this clapping is wearing me out "

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 25 Sep 2017 18:35

Personally I would rather see Beacon organise a road race and members volunteer for that, instead of organising stuff for commercial sportives.
Obviously I am old fashioned and out of touch but if this club is to become an apendadage to commercial sports organisations providing "events " rather than a cycling club then I will look for a more traditional club.
Take part in sportives if you want as individuals but don't make the club part of it, leave that to others.

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 25 Sep 2017 19:01

I participated in yesterdays Velo Birmingham Sportive with some trepidation. I was concerned that closing roads for leisure activity could impact badly on the image of cycling but decided to ride it anyway as 15,000 strangers would & the roads would be closed anyway. Well the support from thousands of spectators all along the course was absolutely fantastic & really needed to be experienced to be believed.
Every village we passed through had large numbers of families out on the streets cheering. Bewdley in particular was crowded with rows of cheering supporters on both sides of the road but was not unique, Oldswinford, Kinver, Belbroughton, Bartley Green & many others were superbly welcoming. So much enthusiasm from so many family groups. After the event I cycled back to join family living on the route to picnic at edge of road cheering on passing riders. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the day.
I set off early & had no problems at feed stops, feel sorry for later riders as have heard supplies later ran out. From my personal experience of the event the organisation was very good. Riders visiting to participate in Velo Birmingham who shared the same experience I had can only have come away with a positive image of the area following this event.

IanT

Post by IanT » 25 Sep 2017 21:15

Echoing the sentiments of the last few posts, I also found the Velo a really good experience. Like others, I had concerns about whether the organisation would be up to scratch, whilst the negativity displayed in certain quarters towards the event meant I wasn't really looking forward to the day in the run up to it.

Despite the delayed start, once the event actually got underway I found I thoroughly enjoyed the day. It's interesting to note the experiences of everyone else who've posted above and compare with my own - I also suffered with cramp from around 50 miles, was astonished and delighted by the crowds and goodwill all the way along the course and thought in general it was an uplifting thing to be part of and involved in.

I guess I was fortunate enough to start early so didn't experience any congestion on the road or at water/feed stops that I know was a frustration for people who started a bit later.

Having got through the first 50 miles without being part of a specific group and at what turned to be too fast a pace to sustain, I was enormously thankful to bump into Martin, who then played a huge role in dragging me through latter half of the ride - thanks Martin!

On the wider issue of is the Velo a good/bad/indifferent thing for Birmingham/cycling/human existence I'd certainly view it as a positive thing - yes there are lessons to be learnt and improvements to be made, but then who among us gets everything right first time round? Perhaps the most telling thing is that it sold out double quick so there's clearly demand amongst the public at large for this kind of event - whether our collective or individual view is that it's over priced and unnecessary you can't argue that demand is clearly there in significant numbers.

It often feels like a distant and unrealistic dream to think we could one day have decent mass cycling infrastructure in this country, but anything that raises the profile of the bicycle in general, encourages people to look at a bike and think 'I could do that' or even just makes people respond warmly on a human level to another person on a bike will definitely get my vote. And that's what I'll remember most of all from this event - not the cramp -but the tremendous response of everyone at the roadside, turning out and encouraging and cheering people on bikes to keep going. When Martin and I crossed the bridge in Bewdley, for the briefest of moments as the crowd cheered (in my mind it was a roar and we were the only 2 riders on the road, but let's not quibble on the details), I thought this is what it must feel like to be in the breakaway on a Grand Tour! Then of course, as we turned the corner and the hill loomed, the cramp returned and harsh reality came crashing back. Frankly, just that moment on the bridge in Bewdley was worth the £75!

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 25 Sep 2017 21:42

I thought it was a superb ride and experience - nothing much to add. I've enjoyed two Ride London-Surreys but great to have the closed roads experience on our doorstep without the hassle of a long drive and overnight stay. The topology of the early bits made them really interesting twisting through suburbs and villages that I don't usually ride because of traffic. Greeted by families in Quinton and Halesowen out in pyjamas and dressing gowns was harbinger of road side support to come. Even on more familiar roads it is a very different take when you have the whole road, no stopping and great crowds.

Much more interesting route than the London one and gave a good account of the area to visitors. Standard of riding generally better than London and for me smooth flowing without the hold ups we had In London. Might have been more risky on the tight bends and descents if it had been raining? I bypassed the overloaded food stops with the help of my handlebar bag (sandwich and malt loaf not gels) supplemented with some water, squash and a jammy dodger from a delightful generous couple outside Ombersley. (And of course the official list of CTC registered and graded discreet and scenic comfort stops). It's a very different experience to my favourite low key volunteer run Audaxes but I'll be back next year if I can.

I think it will certainly add some momentum to the Birmingham Cycling Revolution and help the local authorities and the West Midlands Combined Authority take cycling more seriously. For me it was the culmination of a good week - a review visit from Sport England about a Birmingham and Solihull bid to Sport England, a day at the NEC Cycle Show meeting Cycling UK friends and hunting out Midlands based cycle manufacturers (3) and the launch of the locally made Bullfinch bikes at Red Kite Cycles.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 25 Sep 2017 21:54

Well I blummin loved it! Much better than ridelondon for me.

After starting with a load of other beaconites in A2, I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up, so was mentally prepared to ride the 100miles solo. However I got chatting to some random bloke in a Wales top at about mile 30ish and we rode the rest of the route together!! I also randomly bumped into my mate that I bumped into on ridelondon a year ago so had a good natter there! :D

The route was challenging enough to make it feel like an achievement, but not so challenging to be impossible. The atmosphere from the crowds was amazing and I gave loads of high fives!

I didn't experience any issues with feed stops coz I went self sufficient for food, but then I always take loads of food on long rides.

Already preregistered for next year! :lol:

Tim

Post by Tim » 25 Sep 2017 22:01

Pete a road race would benefit 60 riders and maybe five of our members at the most. Supporting this next year with our gazebo and some food would benefit and give our club exposure to 15k riders. We should do both of course :D but if anyone did want to support this in some way next year it would be very easy (although tiring for the clapping hands) and an enormously rewarding life affirming experience I recon. I totally get where you are coming from and agree with your thoughts on gel wrappers and lack of benefit to the sport or getting people to just cycle as a normal activity rather than thinking they need carbon, colnago and rapha but honestly give it go next year or just watch and clap, it was truly top!
Really having to resist the urge to Google how to spell 'appendage' though Pete, surely it doesn't have the word 'dad' in the middle?! :lol:

I almost also said Bewdley felt like I was a pro, people spend thousands on that on bikes and kit so definitely amazing value for me too, and I am very tight! On the delay at the start, apparently was due to a house fire on the Hagley Road, I did see two fire engines, once started everyone's start times remained the same with no further delays, so it basically ran totally to time which I'm amazed at.

We just need to copy the likes of Bogota and close the Hagley Road, city centre and the Coventry Road to cars every Sunday now https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bicy ... orld%3famp

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 26 Sep 2017 18:16

I may not be able to spell but a lifetime of avoiding going with the flow has taught me to always avoid mass events if I can.
Contemporary British people seem to be unable to do any activity unless it's organised for them, packaged, processed and sold to them. These events are the future and the future's bleak.
I am glad you all enjoyed it. What's the date of the next one so I can be as far away as possible?

Les Ladbury

Post by Les Ladbury » 26 Sep 2017 18:22

Pete,

I thought that I was the only one in the world, nay the universe who thought this.

Totally agree
Les

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 26 Sep 2017 21:35

petemarshall wrote:
26 Sep 2017 18:16
Contemporary British people seem to be unable to do any activity unless it's organised for them, packaged, processed and sold to them.
That'll explain why a few lucky Brits join the many tens of thousands of Italians, French etc riding countless highly regarded Gran Fondos in mainland Europe each year.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 27 Sep 2017 21:44

Tim - if I'm not lucky enough to get entry next year, I think a beacon fan zone would be great! Somewhere to meet up with other beaconites and cheer on the riders (needs to be near facilities though...! :oops: :D )