Track Cycling Sessions January to April

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

Tim

Track Cycling Sessions January to April

Post by Tim » 27 Oct 2016 16:34

Nothing arranged yet but know there are a few people interested in taking part in the Halesowen Friday night track league next year and despite Alan's brave and persistent efforts last year to arrange something at Derby we haven't ran any track training sessions for a few years now. Adrian Ravenscroft has volunteered to be Track Captain and I know the likes of me, Robin, Gav, Jess, Stu, and Matt plan to give the Friday night League ago in 2017 and my son will be doing more as he loved the three nights he did this year so hopefully we will have more children members giving it a go.

We are hoping to have two track coaches within the club by March (big thanks to Pete and Gavin for giving up their time to do the course that starts in January, good luck with it!)

So with that all in mind, I have sent an enquiry form to Derby. I've heard their response rate is a bit better now, we will see. Perfect for me would be to arrange a session in January and a session in Feb using external coaches and then run a session in March and April or two even using Pete and/or Gavin as coaches. At both Derby and at Halesowen as well. I will wait to see what we can get arranged (if anything) at Derby before contacting Halesowen. My hope is all or some of the sessions will be open to both children and adults, I think Derby allows nines and over. At Halesowen any age if they can ride a bike but especially from 6-9 as that fits into the track league freewheelers category. At derby there would definitely be hire bikes available, at Halesowen there are a few too.

It would be useful to know the level of interest so please reply 'me' below if yes and feel free to ask any questions or if you've any suggestions or would like to take this on in terms of the arrangements as I've probably got enough on my plate but am happy to co-ordinate if needed for selfish reasons as I want to do track at Halesowen rather than just watch my kid have all the fun. No idea what time or day of week it would be yet, I've put a preference of Saturday afternoons or evenings on the enquiry form but expect every club does that!

So please post a reply if interested and watch this space.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

xavierdisley

Post by xavierdisley » 27 Oct 2016 19:16

I'm happy to help out in whatever way would be useful too, especially if that means booking time at Newport etc. as I can sort external coaches there for you very easily (using the coaches that work at AeroCoach sessions).

FWIW Halesowen bookings are best done on a Sunday afternoon as they don't have anything on, it's normally free from about 12pm.

If people are looking for midweek training sessions and can get down to Newport, the following drop in sessions DON'T require accreditation (but you will need track experience to get the most out of them). All sessions are ~£9 for 2hrs, and bike hire is ~£9 as well.

Monday 2-4pm "Easy rider" - group work for a range of abilities including room for individual efforts

Tuesday 12-2pm "Lunchtime drop-in" - structured group efforts, often quite busy (up to 25-30) and can be very hard

Wednesday 7-9am "Early bird" - group work, normally consists of a warm up, 1-2x500m solo efforts, a 5 mile group effort, plus drills

Thursday 12-2pm "Lunchtime drop-in" - same as Tuesday, but sometimes a little quieter, more opportunity for individual efforts if you like

(Friday 7-9am "Early bird" - same as Wednesday but it's currently not running)

There is also a vets session on Friday from 4-6:30pm, which is hard group work and requires accreditation.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 27 Oct 2016 20:18

Trying to arrange a track session at Derby is a utter shambles.

On the flip side, one e-mail to Newport and within 24 hours you will have a response with avaible dates and times etc.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 27 Oct 2016 21:15

Pete and I will have to complete 6 structured coached skills sessions after our course at the end of February, so am keen to get some dates booked in. Also looking to ride myself, so keen for this

xavierdisley

Post by xavierdisley » 27 Oct 2016 22:02

Gavin - does that have to be indoor or outdoor? As you could quickly get 6 sessions in if outdoor and would be far quicker than doing all of them indoor?

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 27 Oct 2016 22:04

Outdoor should be fine

gmac

Post by gmac » 27 Oct 2016 23:11

Count me in for Derby and Halesowen, ideally I would like to get accreditation for the track.
Gary

Tim

Post by Tim » 28 Oct 2016 06:34

Thanks everyone, keep the replies coming. Halesowen Sunday afternoons suits me. Once qualified it looks like would have to be early Sundays. Who needs sleep?

http://www.derbyarena.co.uk/cycling/pro ... h-session/

Expect accreditation would require attending Derby's specific accreditation sessions. It could be we look at that timetable and coordinate anyone who wants to do that to go to same ones. To race in Halesowen Friday Night Track League they normally put on one or two of their own special accreditation sessions.

I know Alan my expectations are low! But have seen a couple of local clubs have sessions there recently so I'm hoping things have improved and their timetable now seems clearer with these club coach sessions. Time will tell! Personally for me Newport is just too far. Derby is as well really!

Regarding cost I will post when have any details. I'm about to apply to Sport England for a large grant which we can now do as a British Cycling Go Ride Club and will include asking for money for facility hire. So cost could be zero or just bike hire or could be more likely £15-30 a session depending on how many book on and for how many hours.

Xav do you remember how much Halesowen is per hour?
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 Oct 2016 07:33

If anyone decides to go for their accreditation at Derby, and to save you some money, if you have ridden at Newport, tell them that!

As an organiser of previous track events at Newport, I can supply a letter to endorse that fact. You will only then need to complete the final assessment in order to get your accreditation.

BUT....unless you have a BC licence, you will have no proof other than it being logged on the Derby Velodrome database. It is not like a Newport where they issue you with card.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

xavierdisley

Post by xavierdisley » 28 Oct 2016 08:01

Halesowen is normally £40 an hour but if you've signed your club up to track league (like Beacon and AeroCoach) then it's £20/hr which is pretty good. Andy Burns from Halesowen is the guy in charge of it, I've booked a few Sundays recently for various things and if it rains and you can't ride then you don't have to pay (thankfully!).

It's a shame Newport is far for people to get to, it's ~£90/hour there.

Tim

Derby provisionally booked

Post by Tim » 01 Nov 2016 08:51

Derby provisionally booked.

Saturday 7th January 19:00 – 21:00 with their coach
Saturday 25th March 19:00 – 21:00 with our coaches Pete and Gavin.

Cost TBC

We hope to book Halesowen in addition between Feb and April including having an accreditation session there for their Friday Night Track League that starts in April.

If you want to ride Derby please reply below. First come first served. No previous track experience necessary. And you can hire a track bike there cheaply.

From 1st December we will open up to Redditch members too if there's still space or sooner if clear we won't fill the spots.
Last edited by Tim on 01 Nov 2016 09:30, edited 1 time in total.

rob64

Post by rob64 » 01 Nov 2016 09:05

Sorry for lack of reply to this Tim, I'm useless at keeping up to date with the message board. Please count me in for both dates.

Thanks!

gmac

Post by gmac » 01 Nov 2016 09:13

Time count me in for both dates please.
GGary

Jamesgraemer

Post by Jamesgraemer » 01 Nov 2016 09:50

Also keen on getting on the track. Count me in for the Jan and March dates at Derby. Cheers!

AlanW

Re: Derby provisionally booked

Post by AlanW » 01 Nov 2016 10:57

Tim wrote:Derby provisionally booked.

Saturday 7th January 19:00 – 21:00 with their coach
Saturday 25th March 19:00 – 21:00 with our coaches Pete and Gavin.
Marvellous.....I'm down at Newport for a track session on the first date, but I should be able to make the second date.

Pity that Derby couldn't do 6pm to 9pm though?

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 01 Nov 2016 12:22

I'm in for the first (and second obviously)

AdeR

Post by AdeR » 01 Nov 2016 12:48

Great work Tim,. Up for both sessions.
Some things actually DO happen that are not on Strava

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 01 Nov 2016 22:11

I'm in for definitely the first one, maybe the 2nd one :) thanks Tim!

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 02 Nov 2016 09:51

I'm up for both dates, although will stand aside for somebody new to have a go if it gets full.
Cheers,

Stu

It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Strava - http://www.strava.com/athletes/white_stuart
Facebook - Barry Fight - www.facebook.com/barry.fight
Email - Stulottie@gmail.com
Text/Whatsapp - 07929 612359

Tim

Post by Tim » 02 Nov 2016 09:53

There's only 16 places so already half full.

For anyone wanting to do accreditation at Derby, 6-7 on Saturdays is stage 2. So you could make it a three hour session on 7th January if you get there between now and then to do stage 1. I might try to do that. Then stage 3 and 4 are both 2 hours long so could do those during jan-april ready for Friday night track league at Halesowen in May :D

xavierdisley

Post by xavierdisley » 02 Nov 2016 13:37

Deffo in for first, perhaps second

John

Post by John » 02 Nov 2016 17:26

First and possibly the second too!

Tim

Post by Tim » 14 Nov 2016 18:19

Bookings as I make it for January date:

Me
John Hunt
Xavier Disley
Gavin Passmore
Pete Marshall
Robin Kirkham
Jessica Rhodes-Jones
James Graemer
Gary Mackintosh
Stuart White
Adrian Ravenscroft (Beacon track captain :D)

So that leaves just five places left. Anymore women interested? No previous fixed gear or track bike experience necessary. I've done three track sessions now and managed it fine so anyone can!

I will open out and advertise with Redditch on 1st December if there are still places and I will confirm cost to you all by then but expect it to be around £20 to be paid via bank transfer to club.

Then will sort the March date out after we have done the January one.

Thanks

Tim

IanT

Post by IanT » 14 Nov 2016 22:00

Tim

Count me in for both dates please.

Ian

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 14 Nov 2016 22:52

Tim, just got back from inaugural Racing Captains meeting and super fired up. I am going to enter EVERYTHING. (Well just these sessions for a start eh).
I need accreditation as I may be riding the track league through the winter. Fastest way to get this anyone?

Tim

Post by Tim » 15 Nov 2016 00:19

3 spots left.

Dave the full Derby accreditation is 6 hours (session 1-1 hour, 2-1hour, 3-2hours, 4-2hours) that allows you to race any indoor track as you'd have accreditation on your bc licence if you have one. then to race in the track league there you need to do another few hours experience before racing. If you've already done lots of track cycling and can prove it somehow then sounds from other people like you won't need to do sessions 1 or 2. http://www.derbyarena.co.uk/cycling/accreditation/

Have you bought a bike yet? :D

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 15 Nov 2016 08:42

Cheers Tim. No bike yet, I'm looking!

Cleggy

Post by Cleggy » 17 Nov 2016 15:49

Hi Tim, I'm down for this. Been trying for weeks and weeks to get some sessions at Derby for the Leicester Uni bunch, to no avail. Like a few others, I'm not accredited which is annoying as would very much like to race Derby track league in January. Will be back from uni mid December and will be pretty much available anytime so should be able to sort something. Cheers, Matt

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 17 Nov 2016 17:13

Cleggy wrote:Been trying for weeks and weeks to get some sessions at Derby for the Leicester Uni bunch, to no avail.
Really.....surely not..... :roll:

Tim

Post by Tim » 17 Nov 2016 19:11

They certainly don't make it easy. They haven't even finalised timetable or agreed prices for 2017 yet and it's only six weeks away! So at first they were like we aren't taking bookings yet for Jan!! Had to explain why we need to book now to give members lots of notice. They should be fully booked with a 6month plus waiting list by now.

Great Matt, you are down for both. I need to look at accreditation although don't need to do it as only wanting to race at Halesowen and there will be accreditation sessions there in April. but want a good few hours experience by May ideally so getting accreditation by then makes sense.

Tim

Post by Tim » 18 Nov 2016 09:22

Me
John Hunt
Xavier Disley
Gavin Passmore
Pete Marshall
Robin Kirkham
Jessica Rhodes-Jones
James Graemer
Gary Mackintosh
Stuart White
Ian Taylor
Dave Hughes
Matt Clegg

Three spots left

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 18 Nov 2016 09:52

Putting my name down!
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

carolyn

Post by carolyn » 18 Nov 2016 10:45

Can you put my name down for the first session please :-)

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 18 Nov 2016 11:55

Dave (or anyone else that needs to know the formalities for accreditation at Derby),

First you’ll need to become a member, this is just a registration so you won’t need to pay owt.

You can do that here:
http://www.derbyarena.co.uk/cycling/acc ... ok-online/

You’ll get confirmation to say you’re a member and ting, make sure you take note of your membership number as you’ll need that to progress.
Then follow this link to book your first session:
http://www.derbyarena.co.uk/cycling/acc ... g-members/

To get signed off or ‘Accredited’ you’ll follow the bellow path, if you've track cycled before though and you give a reference (Alan Weaver did one for Andrew Clayton I believe) you can skip a couple of sessions, but they are worth doing if it's been a while.
Basic breakdown:

Stage 1 (also called a taster session): 1 hour, includes bike hire

Stage 2: 1 hour, includes bike hire

Stage 3: 2 hours, bike hire is extra

Stage 4: 2 hours, bike hire is extra

After the 4th stage you will be officially accredited which means you can join sessions on other velodromes, indoor or outdoor.

PEDALS: You can either hire shoes, or you need LOOK KEO cleats, they won’t let you change the pedals.

To carry on after this, you can sign up for SQT (Structured Quality Training)sessions, there's a few daytime Vets sessions for the lucky buggers who've qualified for retirement. These are 2 hours long and the best bit about it I reckon, good, honest, tough sessions, with a variety of different types.
Again, you’ll need to hire a bike for these or bring your own.

After 10 hours of SQT’s, you’re eligible to enter Derby Arena track league if you fancy a bit of racing.

The full programmes are available on the below link - note that accreditation's 3 and 4 are only available during the weekend so you may need to book in advance.
http://www.derbyarena.co.uk/cycling/programme-prices/
There's a slightly amended programme through December which is also on that link so take a look.
Cheers,

Stu

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 18 Nov 2016 15:52

Hi Tim,

I'd be up for this

cheers Matt

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 18 Nov 2016 16:25

Thanks for the heads up. Very comprehensive Tim.

Tim

Post by Tim » 18 Nov 2016 23:31

Me
John Hunt
Xavier Disley
Gavin Passmore
Pete Marshall
Robin Kirkham
Jessica Rhodes-Jones
James Graemer
Gary Mackintosh
Stuart White
Adrian Ravenscroft
Ian Taylor
Matt Clegg
Dave Hughes
Helen Jamieson
Carolyn Clegg

1st Reserve Matthew Hale

Think I've got all names from the thread.

Matthew if all of the above pay up and make it to the session illness and injury free you definitely have a place on March date.

I will confirm exact cost and how you need to pay in next week.

Tim

Post by Tim » 24 Nov 2016 13:07

Just received confirmed pricing and confirmation we are booked!

Will let you know exact cost and how to pay asap

AdeR

Post by AdeR » 26 Nov 2016 14:59

Would anyone be interested a few track riders' road sessions? I'm thinking brisk through and offs. cut throat lane broad lane spring lane earlswood. The objective would be to develop understanding as a group of riders. That way we would be better prepared for any situations where we found ourselves in a break together. I know the dynamics are different to the track - but we don't have the luxury of our own facility. We could build in a structure to the session e.g. warm up + pyramid efforts over 2hrs. Stronger riders could take longer turns. Starting in the new year? Maybe Sat a.m. 9:00 @ Venture Bikes meet up? That way anyone up for a double whammy could extend the early run. Thoughts anyone?

AdeR

Post by AdeR » 27 Nov 2016 19:04

Try to talk to someone from Derby Dave. They run a 4 week course leading to accreditation but they are flexible if you can show experience.

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 29 Nov 2016 12:58

AdeR wrote:Would anyone be interested a few track riders' road sessions? I'm thinking brisk through and offs. cut throat lane broad lane spring lane earlswood. The objective would be to develop understanding as a group of riders. That way we would be better prepared for any situations where we found ourselves in a break together. I know the dynamics are different to the track - but we don't have the luxury of our own facility. We could build in a structure to the session e.g. warm up + pyramid efforts over 2hrs. Stronger riders could take longer turns. Starting in the new year? Maybe Sat a.m. 9:00 @ Venture Bikes meet up? That way anyone up for a double whammy could extend the early run. Thoughts anyone?
Ade,

If you're interested, would you be up for partnering this as a road race session as well? There's a lot of track skills that are very much applicable to road/circuit race scenario.
I'd intended to open something very similar in the new year, but it seems silly to launch competing training rides, it'd be cool to 'double up'.

I realise I'm very much jumping on you're band wagon so totally OK if you want to keep it track specific.

Stu
Cheers,

Stu

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 29 Nov 2016 17:59

AdeR wrote:Try to talk to someone from Derby Dave. They run a 4 week course leading to accreditation but they are flexible if you can show experience.
I am assuming that I am the "Dave" above. Good idea Ade, I may well get in contact soon. Still looking for a bike.

NB. I must be with younger generation as I am the only Dave in the group. In my generation it's rare to have such a dearth of said name.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 29 Nov 2016 22:49

Some sort of structured club training on the road would be great. I guess the issue with Saturday would be how it fitted in with the Sette ride, which lots of us do.

Tim

Post by Tim » 30 Nov 2016 15:59

Payment for those signed up to January date is now due asap. Please pay by end of Monday 5th December or NOW ideally.

£20.70

It needs to be paid to the club either via Paypal Friends and Family using email treasurer@beaconrcc.org.uk

or bank transfer

BEACON ROADS CYCLING CLUB (Account Number: 01204329),
Lloyds TSB Bank (Sort Code 30-96-12)

Bike and shoe hire can be hired on the night individually, if doing this make sure get there early. Bike Hire is £12.80 for the 2 hours. Shoe hire is £5.90. Need to check but pretty sure if using own shoes it will be Look Keo cleats required.

gmac

Post by gmac » 30 Nov 2016 18:16

Hi all
Does anyone want my Jan 7th place?
Gary

Tim

Post by Tim » 30 Nov 2016 21:09

Matthew Hale is first reserve will ask him. Chris Ashford 2nd although he's not sure he can do. Anyone else now can't do it post here as we need to pay full balance in a weeks time. Thanks

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 05 Dec 2016 10:14

Thanks Tim (& Gary), I'm in - paid via bank transfer

Tim

Post by Tim » 05 Dec 2016 10:40

Can you make sure you pay if you haven't already, know most have now.

Me PAID
John Hunt
Xavier Disley PAID
Gavin Passmore PAID
Pete Marshall
Robin Kirkham PAID
Jessica Rhodes-Jones PAID
James Graemer PAID
Stuart White
Adrian Ravenscroft PAID
Ian Taylor PAID
Matt Clegg
Dave Hughes
Helen Jamieson PAID
Carolyn Clegg PAID
Matthew Hale PAID

Apologies if you have paid and it's saying not. Please pay if not and reply PAID when done either here or on Facebook thread. Also please chase others if you've their numbers. Thanks
Last edited by Tim on 05 Dec 2016 12:12, edited 2 times in total.

IanT

Post by IanT » 05 Dec 2016 11:02

Tim - I paid on Friday, let me know if any issues - Ian

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 05 Dec 2016 12:32

PAID
Cheers,

Stu