Club runs - 6th November

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 6th November

Post by WorcsPhil » 31 Oct 2016 09:27

Another week, another 30 people out on club runs, including the legendary Thomas Whiteman aged 4 (?) opening his account for the year. Being sick at the café is a rites of passage.

Good to see both the A and the B riders at Cobhouse, and a big thanks to Pete Norman for stepping up and leading the C-ride. It's noticeable that when a leader is identified in advance, then attendance increases, and you don't need to be Benedict Cumberbatch to work out the reasons for that.

Anyway, the opportunities for leading this week are there for all Beacon members, particularly on the A-ride as there are a number of regular A-riders on an audax this coming weekend. I was speaking to a couple of people at the Black Horse and all sorts of rides are possible, even re-invigorating the Beacon Burst if you fancy (I.e. a 50 mile ride with no café stops) - the leader sets the agenda and variety is the spice of life.

This week's rides are:

A: Volunteer required
B: Whitlenge figure of 8 - George Barker
C: Bobbington - Pete Marshall, starting at Belbroughton so be good to get a lead (scoring 2 club run points) from the Black Horse to Belbroughton

Intro ride: Dave Cole to lead to a cafe in Earslwood
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 07 Nov 2016 10:58, edited 3 times in total.

George

Post by George » 03 Nov 2016 12:09

This week's B run will go to Whit Lenge. I plan to use a meandering figure-of-eight route, a shade over 100km (63mi), with a significantly longer outward leg. There are a couple of hills, but nothing too serious. It's mostly on little lanes, but there's half a mile on the A449, and the final run-in to home is on the main road from Barnt Green. The weather looks like being chilly, but dry and bright. I anticipate averaging 25-26kph (16mph) and look forward to seeing everyone for a nice orderly ride.

- Route on Strava
- Route on BikeHike (downloadable for people who aren't on Strava)

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 03 Nov 2016 18:30

If anyone is happy to lead a group as far as Belbroughton, I would be happy to take over from there for a C run out to Bobbington, brunch at the airport. Lumpy. Not wanting to do the extra distance out and back to the Black Horse from here in Stourbridge.
Need to know by Friday evening.
Suggested route (from Belbroughton)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/17498443
So just 65km with 600m or so climbing. Add to and from the Black horse, around another 25 km.
If the riders are up for it I would suggest going up and over St Kenelms on the way back rather than going back through Belbroughton. Adds a tad to the climbing, but much nicer than the slog up and over Dayhouse Ban

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 03 Nov 2016 20:44

Thanks, Pete, I'm sure someone can lead out to Belbroughton...so just an A-run leader wanted and we've got a full house, Kings and threes (for the Texas hold'em fans)

Don't forget there's a one-off Wednesday club run next week n'all...more details next Monday

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 04 Nov 2016 16:02

OK, unless I hear differently (Facebook message or text me)! Will expect to see the C ride at 09:45 at Belbroughton.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 06 Nov 2016 14:12

C ride
Pete Marshall joint leader
Mark McConkey joint leader
Ash Turner
Sean Hegarty (first Beacon outing😁)
Dave Little
Paul Balfe
Adrian McHugh
Reinout Mildner

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 06 Nov 2016 18:59

George, thanks for taking the lead for the B ride today. I really enjoy it, a interesting varied route with a few hills. Quite testing for me at times, but pleased I managed it; though my legs had nothing left at the end!
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

George

Post by George » 06 Nov 2016 23:04

Apologies for the tardy posting of today's B run attendance list -- We were going out not long after I got home and there consequently wasn't time this afternoon.

The ride was slightly slower and slightly wetter than advertised, but I enjoyed it nevertheless and hope everyone else did too, despite the pedestrian pace. It was a good turnout and it was nice to welcome two able and amiable guests, one of them all the way from Denmark.

We were:
George Barker (L)
Phil Gameson
Nick Shenton
Neil Orchard
Neil Lynch
Ali Hey
Andy Wrightson
Paul Johnson
Alan Weaver
Si Walker
Phil Elwell
Ryän Evanson
Ian Simpson
Peter Roed (guest)
James Gillies (guest)

George

Post by George » 06 Nov 2016 23:11

Si_Walker wrote:George, thanks for taking the lead for the B ride today. I really enjoy it, a interesting varied route with a few hills. Quite testing for me at times, but pleased I managed it; though my legs had nothing left at the end!
Cheers, Si; it was good to have you along. There wasn't much left of me at the end, either! In fact, when I take a B run, I nowadays feel that I'm not so much leading the group as holding it up. But at least it gives a few people the chance to step up from C, I suppose.

neilo

Post by neilo » 07 Nov 2016 08:11

Thanks for leading George, you never hold a B run up! Was a good pace in the cold and wet conditions, a great turnout from everyone.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 07 Nov 2016 08:18

neilo wrote:Thanks for leading George, you never hold a B run up! Was a good pace in the cold and wet conditions, a great turnout from everyone.
Agreed, I thought the pace was spot on to be honest. And on the plus side I was only 10 minutes later getting home than I promised and I missed the rain. :wink:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 07 Nov 2016 16:54

I'm not sure which ride newcomer Scott Green was on but he's emailed the club to say he enjoyed it and thanks for making him welcome.
Eat cake before you're hungry

neilo

Post by neilo » 07 Nov 2016 20:12

He was on the B run Steve, was down from Sheffield visiting his in laws.