Club Runs - 20th November

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club Runs - 20th November

Post by WorcsPhil » 14 Nov 2016 09:24

43 riders out on Sunday (the best since May), and my focus group sat round a flipchart, with our multi-coloured post-its until late on Sunday evening to establish the reasons for this.

Clearly, the nice weather played a part, and yes, a full set of leaders announced in advance was a factor, and apart from cross, many people don't have other events planned at this time of year, but we discussed until the wee small hours, the presence of a Beacon Burst, led by the Pied Piper of Iverley.

The conclusions drawn were that Beacon Bursts are a good thing. It's clear that some people want to get home a bit earlier, whilst others want a café stop, and as the B-riders were evenly split between the two, this shows that there may be an appetite for both.

Therefore, we will obviously continue with the standard A, B and C rides, but Beacon Bursts can be put forward either as the dedicated run of the week, or as an alternative to a 'normal' ride. These can be A, B or C paced, so be clear in your labelling if you promote one.

Who knows, it may encourage a whole new generation of leaders...

This weeks rides are:

A: Croome Park - Philip Whiteman
B: Pershore - Neil Orchard - hurrah, a perennial favourite!
C: Volunteer required
Beacon Burst: John Hunt

...and thanks to all club leaders and riders on Sunday, a varied set of destinations and paces, Cycling Weekly will be delighted.
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 21 Nov 2016 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

50+

Post by 50+ » 14 Nov 2016 19:53

Hi

I haven't road with a club for a few years. Im wondering if after the rides when people post the rider list - would it be an idea to post the average speed - things like brisk pace, steady pace - can mean different things to different people...

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 15 Nov 2016 10:12

This Sunday's A run will be grey and dull. It will be so excessively boring that you are advised not to bother getting out of bed. Hopefully the weather will consist of driving sleet.

Cafe philosophical discussion will be centred on the emptiness and pointlessness of existance. Riders planning on joining Sunday's A run are advised to register at http://www.dignitas.ch/?lang=en

On Sunday, we shall commence from a cold windswept pub car park located at the end of a desolate economically deprived suburban high street at the heart of in an industrial area in advanced decline and decay. Upon arrival at the start point, participants should avoid the broken glass strewn over the potholed tarmac. We soon join a busy dual carriageway choked by diesel fumes after which we undertake a soul destroying hill-climb interrupted by
pointless red traffic lights. Once in the countryside, all you can expect are lanes plastered in mud and grime resulting in endless punc-tured tyres. If you are lucky you might even run-over soot covered dead badger in the advanced stages of decomposition. After what seems like interminable purgatory of boring lanes and wearisome discussion about SRAM gear ratios, we arrive at the cold unheated and unfriendly cafe where cyclists are clearly resented, only to find a couple of rashers of bacon on the counter that closely resemble the hide of a long dead pig and tea that tastes of high-tar nicotine.

Route: Approx 100-110km without any surprise hills. Expected time of return: 14:00
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 15 Nov 2016 17:52, edited 4 times in total.

dweben

Post by dweben » 15 Nov 2016 13:15

Phil... sounds like a classic mucky day out on the mtb!!! Lush!!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 15 Nov 2016 13:32

50+ wrote:Hi

I haven't road with a club for a few years. Im wondering if after the rides when people post the rider list - would it be an idea to post the average speed - things like brisk pace, steady pace - can mean different things to different people...
Hello Pete

Welcome back! Details can found at http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/club_runs/sunday/index.html . These are guidelines rather than exacting specifications as rides tend to vary dependent upon the leader and/or topography of the route. If you are interested in a particular run and destination then do not hesitate to ask the run leader.

50+

Post by 50+ » 15 Nov 2016 16:09

Philip Whiteman wrote:
50+ wrote:Hi

Hello Pete

Welcome back! Details can found at http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/club_runs/sunday/index.html . These are guidelines rather than exacting specifications as rides tend to vary dependent upon the leader and/or topography of the route. If you are interested in a particular run and destination then do not hesitate to ask the run leader.
Yeah its probably best if I just turn up for a run - really not sure where I am (or the runs are) fitness wise. need to MT*U !

Will be along for a run shortly !

neilo

Post by neilo » 15 Nov 2016 17:09

Sundays B run will be a joyous and enlightening affair and maybe the most exciting you've ever experienced, the sun will be shining and you won't even get 1 speck of mud on your beautiful winter steed.....in fact you may go mudgardless.

Cafe discussions will be centred around Friday night football and how much plastic surgery carol vorderman has had (ahem)

We shall be departing the glorious tudor style public house at approximately 9.15 sharpish from the area of natural beauty that surrounds it, the cafe, which will welcome us with open arms has promised endless bacon sandwiches, beans, eggs, whatever takes your fancy.

Approx 63 miles 3400ft ascending.

IanT

Post by IanT » 15 Nov 2016 21:53

This Sunday's A run will be grey and dull. It will be so excessively boring that you are advised not to bother getting out of bed. Hopefully the weather will consist of driving sleet.

Cafe philosophical discussion will be centred on the emptiness and pointlessness of existance. Riders planning on joining Sunday's A run are advised to register at http://www.dignitas.ch/?lang=en

On Sunday, we shall commence from a cold windswept pub car park located at the end of a desolate economically deprived suburban high street at the heart of in an industrial area in advanced decline and decay. Upon arrival at the start point, participants should avoid the broken glass strewn over the potholed tarmac. We soon join a busy dual carriageway choked by diesel fumes after which we undertake a soul destroying hill-climb interrupted by
pointless red traffic lights. Once in the countryside, all you can expect are lanes plastered in mud and grime resulting in endless punc-tured tyres. If you are lucky you might even run-over soot covered dead badger in the advanced stages of decomposition. After what seems like interminable purgatory of boring lanes and wearisome discussion about SRAM gear ratios, we arrive at the cold unheated and unfriendly cafe where cyclists are clearly resented, only to find a couple of rashers of bacon on the counter that closely resemble the hide of a long dead pig and tea that tastes of high-tar nicotine.

Route: Approx 100-110km without any surprise hills. Expected time of return: 14:00
Phil - and this differs from your usual club runs... how exactly?

I dare say I'll join you and partake in the misery.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 15 Nov 2016 22:57

neilo wrote:Sundays B run will be a joyous and enlightening affair and maybe the most exciting you've ever experienced, the sun will be shining and you won't even get 1 speck of mud on your beautiful winter steed.....in fact you may go mudgardless.

Cafe discussions will be centred around Friday night football and how much plastic surgery carol vorderman has had (ahem)

We shall be departing the glorious tudor style public house at approximately 9.15 sharpish from the area of natural beauty that surrounds it, the cafe, which will welcome us with open arms has promised endless bacon sandwiches, beans, eggs, whatever takes your fancy.

Approx 63 miles 3400ft ascending.
Same route as April, Neil? Out through Tardebigge?

neilo

Post by neilo » 15 Nov 2016 23:23

Yes andy.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 Nov 2016 13:36

Given the forecast for Sunday, it looks as though my Dignitas club run will have its way. Rain, rain, rain and more rain is forecast.

Turning up to lead means that I have to get out of bed at some ungodly time and ride to Northfield getting wet in the process. Upon arrival, my desire for returning home will not happen because all of you buggers have turned up out of pure spite. You're all standing there en-masse expecting me to navigate the route at the front all the way. When out on the road, I'll be pushed to the front in order that you can avoid the potholes whilst I crash my rims into water filled craters.

At the cafe I will be knocked to the ground whilst everyone else stampedes to the cafe managing to get the last hot item of food and last available chairs, leaving me wet, hungry and standing in the corner like a complete lemon.

I hate you lot. :roll:

Image[/b]
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 16 Nov 2016 14:55, edited 2 times in total.

50+

Post by 50+ » 16 Nov 2016 13:44

Philip Whiteman wrote:Given the forecast for Sunday, it looks as though my Dignitas club run will have its way. Rain, rain, rain and more rain is forecast.

Turning up to lead means that I have to get out of bed at some ungodly time and ride to Northfield getting wet in the process. Upon arrival, my desire for returning home because none of you buggers have turned up with be in vain. Instead you lot are all standing there en-masse expecting me to navigate the route at the front all the way. You'll of course avoid all the water filled potholes because you will have seen me crash into them first. At the cafe, I will be knocked to the ground whilst everyone else stampedes to the cafe managing to get the last hot item of food and last available chairs, leaving me wet, hungry and standing in the corner like a complete lemon.

Image[/b]
Rest is an important part of fitness. :lol:

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 16 Nov 2016 14:26

Philip Whiteman wrote:Given the forecast for Sunday, it looks as though my Dignitas club run will have its way. Rain, rain, rain and more rain is forecast.

Turning up to lead means that I have to get out of bed at some ungodly time and ride to Northfield getting wet in the process. Upon arrival, my desire for returning home will not happen because all of you buggers have turned up out of pure spite. You'll standing there en-masse expecting me to navigate the route at the front all the way. When out on the road, I'll be pushed to the front in order that you can avoid the potholes whilst I crash my rims into water filled craters.

At the cafe I will be knocked to the ground whilst everyone else stampedes to the cafe managing to get the last hot item of food and last available chairs, leaving me wet, hungry and standing in the corner like a complete lemon.

Image[/b]
WorcsPhil - "Who knows, it may encourage a whole new generation of leaders... " :lol:

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 17 Nov 2016 09:23

Andy Terry wrote:Same route as April, Neil? Out through Tardebigge?
I'll probably meet you at Tardebigge as well, as I'm working in SOUTHPORT again on Saturday evening till 10pm. :cry:

At least if I meet you guys there I can have a bit more of a lie in.
Last edited by AlanW on 17 Nov 2016 13:02, edited 2 times in total.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 17 Nov 2016 11:19

AlanW wrote:
Andy Terry wrote:Same route as April, Neil? Out through Tardebigge?
I'll probably meet you at Tardebigge as well, as I'm working in Southport again on Saturday evening till 10pm. :cry: At least if I meet you guys there I can have a bit more of a lie in.
I could always lead another Beacon Burst around Redditch Al, which would give you even more of a lie in :wink:

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 17 Nov 2016 12:16

Nicks_77 wrote: I could always lead another Beacon Burst around Redditch Al, which would give you even more of a lie in :wink:
How considerate of you..... :roll:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

John

Post by John » 18 Nov 2016 13:40

Given the weather I think a Burst is in order. I'll create a route and we can work out the details on Sunday.

https://www.strava.com/routes/7034107

keith

Post by keith » 19 Nov 2016 15:19

Philip Whiteman wrote:This Sunday's A run will be grey and dull. It will be so excessively boring that you are advised not to bother getting out of bed. Hopefully the weather will consist of driving sleet.

As a a resident of Northfield I'll be expecting the usual full apology nothing more and nothing less !

bikercolin

Beacon C 20/11

Post by bikercolin » 20 Nov 2016 13:22

Beacon C Blast
Colin Hall (leading)
Mark McConkey

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 20 Nov 2016 13:25

A Run revised to Pershore

Philip Regan
Philip Taylor
Ian Whiteman
Matt Richards
Howling Mad Murdoch

Sadly, Dignatas is closed on Sundays so the discussion on the black emptiness of our existance was cancelled.

Keeping to our promises the weather was grim and the rain was just short of sleet conditions but the weather did detoriate as conditions dried. The utterley pointless red traffic lights on the approach to the Lickeys hindered our ascent, as did an olympic sized puddle. Another aspect that destroyed our sorryful existance was bunch of terribly slow cyclists hogging the carriageway getting in our way. Matt Regan had a punct-ure, for which he received verbal abused from group of roughians passing by at 5mph. We stopped twice for Ian and Matt who wanted 'number ones' but we were soon on our way without much delay.

neilo

Post by neilo » 20 Nov 2016 15:00

Today's B run was **flat** free with just a broken chain link for andy terry, some gypsies cycled passed us at this point shouting obscenities but we just ignored them! Coffee and more coped well providing us with breakfast pretty quickly (I'd prefer to drink my tea though James rather than having it tipped down my bib tights thankyou)

B runners were
Neil Orchard (leading)
Paul Johnson
Nic Shenton
James tate
Andy wrightson
Joe warwood
Alan weaver
Matt hale
Andy terry

John

Post by John » 20 Nov 2016 19:19

Burst:

John Hunt
Robin Kirkham
Steve Philpots

Fun ride in better than expected weather.