Club runs - 29th January

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 29th January

Post by WorcsPhil » 23 Jan 2017 08:47

Bit cold, wasn't it?

Perhaps the lure of David Beckham on Desert Island Discs kept people in their duvets on Sunday morning, but 14 people did brave the icy blasts on the 2 club runs. With the weather forecast showing a balmy 8c for this Sunday, it could be a bumper week...but we only have one leader declared so far. Now's a good time to volunteer before I release technique #2 in the next few days.

This week's runs are:

A: Bringsty café (near Bromyard) - Phil Richards
B: Albrighton - Sir Nicholas Shenton
C: Evesham - Dave Cox

I think this may be a new café venue for Beacon on the C-run...look forward to the feedback
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 30 Jan 2017 09:03, edited 3 times in total.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 24 Jan 2017 09:40

I'll lead the A-ride to Bringsty café this Sunday. 116kms, just one major hill up to Clifton-upon-Teme...fast 30mile return.

Probable route here:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18662049

Let's have a B-Run volunteer please!

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 24 Jan 2017 10:02

I'll take the B this Sunday - Destination to be decided

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 24 Jan 2017 16:56

Be great to go back to Wombourne we did use it back in the day when Oscar was just a Vet. I expect it has changed hands by now but food was good although the owner's attitude varied with his mood.

John D

Post by John D » 25 Jan 2017 10:48

Link to Sundays c run below

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=nvv ... 598B16408F

This may change slightly if i can plan an appropriate alternative between Kinver and Wombourne however my knowledge of the roads/lanes in that area is a bit limited. I am also mindful of my shocking current fitness level!!!

Be great to go back to Wombourne we did use it back in the day when Oscar was just a Vet. I expect it has changed hands by now but food was good although the owner's attitude varied with his mood.

Dave, not sure if that is the same venue (fingers crossed no issues), but chose the railway cafe following some positive feedback from its use as a go ride starting point. i will be phoning ahead for them to expect us and if i get the chance, will pop in on Friday for a quick "reccy"

JD

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 25 Jan 2017 10:54

John D wrote:Link to Sundays c run below

Dave, not sure if that is the same venue (fingers crossed no issues), but chose the railway cafe following some positive feedback from its use as a go ride starting point. i will be phoning ahead for them to expect us and if i get the chance, will pop in on Friday for a quick "reccy"

JD
Quite a few years ago, the A and B runs both headed for Wombourne and had given notice of their impending arrivial. Despite good notice the manger was so stressed by the experience with the number of arrivals, he rudely demanded that the second group leave the premises. I doubt it still the same owner at the current time.

John D

Post by John D » 25 Jan 2017 12:22

Philip Whiteman wrote:
John D wrote:Link to Sundays c run below

JD
Quite a few years ago, the A and B runs both headed for Wombourne and had given notice of their impending arrivial. Despite good notice the manger was so stressed by the experience with the number of arrivals, he rudely demanded that the second group leave the premises. I doubt its still the same owner
Phil, thanks for the background.....starting to get a bit nervous now...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... gland.html

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 26 Jan 2017 10:20

A Club ride on a cold and miserable Sunday in January wouldn't be complete without a visit to the home of door step bread & a greasy fry up.

Yes you've guessed it, were off to The Spiders Web in Albrighton!

John D

Post by John D » 28 Jan 2017 13:21

As someone who is rarely ill, I'm really struggling having been blighted by this tonsillitis/heavy cold virus that has gone through the family this week.
Afraid I'll have to bail out tomorrow.

If anyone wishes to use the planned route, I was amending it slightly to keep to the roads rather than the cycle path due to the recent wet weather.
Hate to disappoint but will do the run next weekend if another venue is chosen tomorrow(assuming I'm reasonably recovered).

Cheers

JD

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 28 Jan 2017 18:39

Hope you have a speedy recovery John. If no one else offers I'll take the C run but probably to Evesham. BTW has anyone taken a copy of the Cycling Weekly article to Raphael's? If not I'll do a copy

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 29 Jan 2017 14:16

A small and bedraggled trio on the A-ride this morning, namely:

Phil Richards (Leading)
Keith Adcock
John Williams

Wet, muddy and cold, and Bringsty cafe was closed, requiring a further 7 mile jaunt to Lower Broadheath village shop. Wonderful hokum...thanks to Keith and John for turning up and not throwing me into a ditch.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 29 Jan 2017 15:00

The usual suspects on today's cold, wet and miserable B ride to Spiders web at Albrighton.

Nick (Tiny Tim) Shenton
Paul (Cheery) Johnson
Phil Elwell
Neil (Black Pudding on the side) Orchard
Chris Ashford
Andy Wrightson
Joe (Pass me the Halloumi) Warwood
Ryan Evanson
Neil Lynch
Dorrian Roe
Simon (Is it over yet?)

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 29 Jan 2017 15:21

Affable Midland Mile Munchers C run return to Evesham complete with copy of Cycling Weekly's Beacon and Bread Pudding story.

Bit cold on the way out and wet on the way back but some useful winter miles.

Dave Cox (alternately leading and sweeping)
Pete Norman
Simon Turner
Si Walker (thanks for leading the breakaway home!)
Jason Green
Neil Evanston
Nick Price (very welcome on his first Beacon run)
Tess Oelofse
Claire Fudge
Alan Weaver (on a therapeutic C run hope it helped)

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 29 Jan 2017 17:33

Dave, Thanks for leading the ride at short notice, I enjoyed it despite the rain and it was good to out, even just for the bread pudding. The breakaway riders warmed up quite quickly.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 01 Feb 2017 15:42

hi B-runners...just for my records, please can someone tell me who 'Simon (Is it over yet?)' is?

Thanks

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 01 Feb 2017 15:46

WorcsPhil wrote:hi B-runners...just for my records, please can someone tell me who 'Simon (Is it over yet?)' is?

Thanks
Prince.