Club runs - 5th Feb

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 5th Feb

Post by WorcsPhil » 30 Jan 2017 09:25

What is it with this rain?...I heard on the radio this morning as it's been one of the driest Januarys on record, but what rain there has been seems to have been focused on Sunday mornings...that's three this month! Despite the poor forecast, and the extremely wet second half to the rides, we still had well over 20 riders out, with the only 'incident' being a closed café on the A-ride, requiring a further 7-mile jaunt to a shop. Whoever was leading that ride will be chastised severely :)

This week's rides are:

A: Volunteer required
B: Colliers Tea Room (?) - Neil Lynch
C: Wombourne Railway Café - John Deeley #attempt2
Intro: George Barker

There is also a February Intro ride this Sunday, led by George Barker. All newcomers welcome to come along to this to try out a club run at a more relaxed pace. Still meet at 09:00 for this ride, for the off at 09:15

What is it with A-riders at the moment?...bit thin on the ground in leading and riding...
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 05 Feb 2017 21:57, edited 2 times in total.

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 30 Jan 2017 13:34

Hi Robert (Phil)
looks technique#1 is working to well as we have both volunteered to lead the B ride this week as I put my name down back in December, do you mind if I take it? I’ve already checked the café is open…

Of course by asking this I’m probably going to incur rain/ice/sleet of biblical proportions!

Robert Wade

Post by Robert Wade » 30 Jan 2017 15:21

Hi Neil, that's no problem.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 30 Jan 2017 15:28

Sorry, Neil - somehow missed your post...but it's good to see a bunfight to lead a club run.

I've listed the cafe as Colliers at the moment, just shout if it's anything different and I will re-list. Always good to check that the café is open, of course. :oops:

Rob, re-check your diary...don't lose your momentum!

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 30 Jan 2017 21:32

Thanks both, I'll post a route towards the end of the week.

George

Post by George » 31 Jan 2017 22:09

This Sunday's Intro Ride will be to Rowberry's Garden Centre, Chaddesley Corbett. Male and female cyclists of all ages*, all ambition levels and all backgrounds are invited to join us for a sociable spin through the Worcestershire countryside, with a break for elevenses.

We'll wend our way on a meandering loop, nearly all of it on attractive rural lanes, where we can expect the first snowdrops to be showing and the birds to be chattering about preparations for spring. The current weather forecast is for a cool and breezy, but frost-free and dry day. However, there will have been plenty of rain in the preceding days, so the lanes are likely to be mucky and wet. And I wouldn't bet against the forecast changing between now and Sunday!

The route is just under 49km (>30 miles):-
- View and/or download route on BikeHike
The outward (pre-café) leg is significantly longer than the return leg (29km + 20km), but the general trend of the outward leg is down, whereas the general trend of the homeward leg is up. The route includes a significant amount of climbing, but we will take it very easy, with breathers at the top of any hills that people find hard. Within reason, we go at the pace of the slowest rider, so the time of our return to B'ham is hard to predict, but previous rides to the same destination have tended to follow a timetable something like this:
0900 - Meet up
0915 - Start
1115 - Arrive at Rowberry's
1200 - Start return leg
1345 - Arrive back in Northfield

A few notes for our newcomers:
- Please read our Club Run Guidelines.
- The ride is an introduction to club riding, not an introduction to cycling. In other words, you don't need to be young, fit and fast, but it is assumed that you are capable of riding at your own steady pace for a whole morning. We'll probably be on the road for at least three and a half hours. You may struggle if you aren't used to doing at least an hour (preferably two) on your own.
- You don't need a fancy racing bike. In fact, at this time of year, a fancy racing bike probably isn't the best choice. Mudguards and tyres at least 25mm wide are recommended. However, you won't be turned away or sneered at, whatever you ride. Just make sure that your bike works and that you've got a spare tube and a pump with you.
- Bring a little money. A drink and a snack/light meal at Rowberry's is likely to cost you £5-£10, and a little extra for contingencies is advisable.
- Carry a bottle of water or energy drink on your bike.
- Don't overdress: you'll get colder if you sweat heavily. But it is winter, after all. So a windproof and showerproof outer layer is advisable. As are multiple lightweight layers that you can add/remove as circumstance dictates.
- Bring a mobile.
- Have some ID somewhere obvious on your person, so that, in the unlikely event that you're involved in an accident, we (or the emergency services) know who you are, and who to contact.

* Subject to parental consent if under 18 and those under the age of 16 being accompanied by a parent or adult guardian. Click for details.

George

Post by George » 31 Jan 2017 22:16

PS: I don't have a 'rear gunner' for Sunday yet. Is there anyone reasonably experienced who fancies lending a hand? It isn't hard, it's fun, and you'll be helping to secure the club's future.

Simmo

Post by Simmo » 01 Feb 2017 19:48

Sorry George I would have gladly volunteered to help on the intro ride however I have a friend down from Yorkshire and we will be out on the C ride. Sure it will go well with you at the helm.

George

Post by George » 01 Feb 2017 21:03

Thanks, Simon. I expect I'll find someone, even if I have to resort to direct badgering in the final 36 hours. You only need one person to lead, really, but having two people has two advantages: it improves communication and it gives you options if someone is struggling.

gmac

Post by gmac » 02 Feb 2017 09:35

Ok George put me down to help with your intro ride.

George

Post by George » 02 Feb 2017 11:22

gmac wrote:Ok George put me down to help with your intro ride.
Excellent, thanks.

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 02 Feb 2017 16:01

The B run will to Colliers tea rooms

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... gland.html

It will be around 60 miles, and will be something like this

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18148184

As ever with this time of year its weather dependant. I will post any last minute changes

John D

Post by John D » 04 Feb 2017 21:07

All set for tomorrow for c run.

Cafe are expecting us (please note, cash only), and cafe lock suggested as bikes are out of view.

One or two minor alterations due to road closure(Newtown Lane), poss. slight re route around Kinver (my fat fingers on the tablet) and state of pathway between Wombourne and cafe( we'll take a view depending on the state of our bikes st that point).

JD

IanT

Post by IanT » 05 Feb 2017 17:00

An impromptu A run formed at the Black Horse, damp, cold and misty on the way out to Cobhouse, much the same on the way back, with the added excitement of two flats in quick succession for James and Mat to deal with.

Ian Taylor (L)
Matt Regan
Steve Philpott
James Gillies

John D

Post by John D » 05 Feb 2017 17:34

Excellent turnout for today's c run, 15 jolly souls left the Black Horse, not quite so jolly as we arrived at the cafe having endured a damp and foggy ride with murmurings of bad knees, cold hands and muddy bikes (perhaps we'll leave the railway path for dryer weather).
Although we had advised the cafe of our arrival in advance, 15 seemed to stretch resources which coupled with a large group, Slightly lumpy route and an unfit leader, led to a later return than I'd planned for. That said, they were grateful for our patronage and apologised for any delay. Hope everyone got back ok, thanks to Dave Little for sweeping, Si and Dave Cox for steering everyone home. Great to see everyone.
John Deeley
Pete Norman
Mark McConkey
Simon Turner
Nathan Burton
Tony Fowler (guest rider, hope you enjoyed it)
Gemma Johnson
Andy Wrightson (good to see you on the c)
Mike Preece
Si Walker
Mark Russell
Neil Evanson
Simon Woodward (first Beacon run, welcome)
Dave Little

JD

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 05 Feb 2017 17:44

Fog was our constant companion on today's hilly and cold B run. Out today

Neil Lynch (leading from the back)
Ryan (who needs a helmet?) Evanson
Joe Warwood
Vincent Tennant
Sherpa Tenzing
Rob Wade
Paul Johnson
Mat Hale
Phil Gameson

Mat had child care duties calling so peeled off before the cafe.

Paul had to abandon with a broken spoke, missing out on the doorstep size bacon butties and giving Joe the benefit of his vegetarian cooking tips.

Joe found out he only had 2 functioning breakpads, which after some able tinkering by Phil made there way to his front brake.

Did I Mention the fog?

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 05 Feb 2017 18:06

Thanks John for leading a suitably epic ride to Wombourne !

George

Post by George » 05 Feb 2017 19:10

Congratulations to our three intrepid newcomers, who completed today's mucky and murky Intro Ride, complete with conquest of the famed St Kenelm's Pass. The full roll call was:
Katie Jones
Glyn Marston
Tamlyn Jones
George Barker (L)
Derek Reynolds (L2)

- A few snaps from the ride

George

Post by George » 05 Feb 2017 19:35

PS: A special word of thanks to Gary Mac for coming out to the BH when, as it turned out, he could have stayed in bed.

dweben

Post by dweben » 05 Feb 2017 19:39

Matt had a flat on saturday too... methinks he's not looking after his toys!

matthew

Post by matthew » 05 Feb 2017 21:38

dweben wrote:Matt had a flat on saturday too... methinks he's not looking after his toys!
Who kicked your coffin
m regan

John D

Post by John D » 06 Feb 2017 09:45

Just realised, what happened to Dave cole and Colin Hall??

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 06 Feb 2017 09:53

matthew wrote:
dweben wrote:Matt had a flat on saturday too... methinks he's not looking after his toys!
Who kicked your coffin
And each time he has presented himself a club run in the last three months.

George gave him the name, 'Flatmatt'.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 06 Feb 2017 12:51

Dave went off on his own as you turned down that muddy lane to Belbroughton.

Colin had a problem with his chain and front mech so went home from the Black Horse

George

Post by George » 06 Feb 2017 13:05

Philip Whiteman wrote:George gave him the name, 'Flatmatt'.
Well, to be precise, I dubbed him Flatt Regan.

However, that was before Sunday. My view of Matt has changed entirely since Sunday. On Sunday Matt called me 'sexy'. So, from now on, I won't hear an ill word against him.

John D

Post by John D » 06 Feb 2017 18:08

Dave Cox wrote:Dave went off on his own as you turned down that muddy lane to Belbroughton.

Colin had a problem with his chain and front mech so went home from the Black Horse

That will be the "muddy lane" I cribbed from one of The presidents routes then. Grateful for update,

JD

dweben

Post by dweben » 06 Feb 2017 19:06

George wrote:
Philip Whiteman wrote:George gave him the name, 'Flatmatt'.
Well, to be precise, I dubbed him Flatt Regan.

However, that was before Sunday. My view of Matt has changed entirely since Sunday. On Sunday Matt called me 'sexy'. So, from now on, I won't hear an ill word against him.
What... I slapped him on the butt and he never says such kind things about me! It's usually rude...

FlatMatt... might have to start spreading that around ;)

George

Post by George » 07 Feb 2017 09:13

dweben wrote:What... I slapped him on the butt and he never says such kind things about me!
Perhaps you need to be gentler with him. The Trump approach isn't universally appreciated.

Macco

Sundays C run

Post by Macco » 07 Feb 2017 21:23

A great ride Sunday albeit cold & murky, well led by John. Many thanks to Si, Andy & Dave for pointing us in the right direction on the way home.