Time trials - April, May and June 2017

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

JessRJ

Time trials - April, May and June 2017

Post by JessRJ » 18 Feb 2017 19:00

Hi

I have listed April-June races below that other Beacon riders are entered for as there are some keen beans who have already entered - if you are signed up for one of these events, or any others in April-June, please comment below and I will add you / the event to this post :) If you have any questions about any of these events (or anything else TT-related), please ask below and I will try my best to answer

April:

Sun 2nd April - R25/3H -
25 mile Welsh downhill course (start at the top of a hill, out & back course, finish at the bottom of the hill). This is the current 25 mile national record course so it is fast!
https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/14708 Jess, Xav, John

Fri 14th April - Buxton CC classic series - 22 mile hilly course (in same series as the Beacon LMTT). Make sure you enter the correct race on CTT website - this is the link for senior men, there is a separate entry for vets https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/14765 Jess, John, Keith, Ian, Dave

Sun 23rd April - Beacon LMTT classic series - 37 mile hilly course. Finish line this year is at the top of Shelsley Walsh hill climb which is pretty exciting! For those who haven't been to Shelsley Walsh before, it is a great finish line for spectators - there are wooden benches / convenient standing places most of the way up the climb, and of course it is totally closed to traffic. Separate entry for senior men / vets / women on CTT website - this is the senior men's event: https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/14842 John, Keith, Dave, Toby

May:

Sat 13th May - Beacon open 10 A great, flattish course with lots of support from Beacon marshals along the way :) Jess, Xav

June:
Last edited by JessRJ on 01 Apr 2017 10:37, edited 4 times in total.

toby

Post by toby » 20 Feb 2017 12:42

I have entered the Little Mountain TT via the CTT website.

I just wondered whether there was a link to the rules for "roadman" entry - I remember it somewhere on the Beacon site but I can't find it.

I just want to be sure that any of my aero slipperyness will not void entry into this classification on the day.

Thanks!
:D

John

Post by John » 20 Feb 2017 13:44

toby wrote:I have entered the Little Mountain TT via the CTT website.

I just wondered whether there was a link to the rules for "roadman" entry - I remember it somewhere on the Beacon site but I can't find it.

I just want to be sure that any of my aero slipperyness will not void entry into this classification on the day.

Thanks!
The starter (Dave Hughes?) decides on the day if you are roadman or not.

toby

Post by toby » 20 Feb 2017 14:56

John wrote:
toby wrote:I have entered the Little Mountain TT via the CTT website.

Thanks!
Cool but there was a link to the guidelines on the site somewhere (number of spokes, no pointy helmets and visors etc).

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 20 Feb 2017 17:22

John hasn't announced details for this year's page yet but from my archive of old pages....

A very important and popular option, our Roadman category will again feature this year. We will award prizes for the fastest riders completing the course using a standard road bike with only traditional-style handlebars (no tri-bars) and wheels with a minimum of 12 spokes. If used, a helmet should be of standard non-aero type.

Please note:

Eligibility for the Roadman prize will be assessed by an event official immediately prior to each rider's start, in the lay-by at the start.
The official's decision is final. Riders are requested to enter this competition in the spirit in which it is intended.
Eat cake before you're hungry

toby

Post by toby » 20 Feb 2017 17:43

CakeStop wrote:John hasn't announced details for this year's page yet but from my archive of old pages....

A very important and popular option, our Roadman category will again feature this year. We will award prizes for the fastest riders completing the course using a standard road bike with only traditional-style handlebars (no tri-bars) and wheels with a minimum of 12 spokes. If used, a helmet should be of standard non-aero type.

Please note:

Eligibility for the Roadman prize will be assessed by an event official immediately prior to each rider's start, in the lay-by at the start.
The official's decision is final. Riders are requested to enter this competition in the spirit in which it is intended.
thanks Steve!!

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 20 Feb 2017 21:11

Oh the power!

John

Post by John » 22 Feb 2017 22:14

All three are entered!

Lapin

Post by Lapin » 24 Feb 2017 11:50

Entered the two RTTC classics, not so keen on a downhill time trial - aint so much of a Sagan when going down piste.

Assuming we all get start places for Buxton how are people planning to get up there? Trains don't seem so bad (I traded my car for rent and bikes years ago...)

Dave

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 25 Feb 2017 21:54

Great, sounds like we're going to have a good group for Buxton! Not sure yet about transport there - my sister is possibly coming to stay that weekend so she may be coming to be Beacon team support, but if she doesn't I'll have room for one in the car.

The downhill isn't that bad Dave - on aero bars it's a tad exciting - I did it last year with one arm on the aero bars and one hand on a brake lever, but saw a lot of people on the aero bars, or you just get low & have your hands covering the brakes

keith

Post by keith » 26 Feb 2017 19:13

Just entered the Merthyr event , what could possibly go wrong ?
Not forgetting the Beacon open 10 while I was at it

George

Post by George » 27 Feb 2017 12:06

I think I may use our open 10 for the MKM's annual outing.

keith

Post by keith » 20 Mar 2017 20:17

Didn't get in on the Merthyr event . Perhaps entering under my pet name of Edward 1st of England was not such a good idea. There is a Worcester st johns 25 on the same day so I've entered that instead . That one closes tomorrow

John

Post by John » 21 Mar 2017 10:51

keith wrote:Didn't get in on the Merthyr event . Perhaps entering under my pet name of Edward 1st of England was not such a good idea. There is a Worcester st johns 25 on the same day so I've entered that instead . That one closes tomorrow
I've still not heard about it :(

In other news the Midlands events page has been updated!

http://events.midlanddc.org.uk/

keith

Post by keith » 21 Mar 2017 11:40

I would have thought that, that is more likely to be positive John . Others have been told no , yesterday

John

Post by John » 22 Mar 2017 08:51

keith wrote:I would have thought that, that is more likely to be positive John . Others have been told no , yesterday
I'm on the start list, but they never bothered to tell me. Time to book a hotel in Wales!

IanT

Post by IanT » 29 Mar 2017 08:10

Good luck to those making the trip to South Wales this weekend, hope it goes well. Having not made it onto the start sheet for that event I'm doing an open 25 in Worcester instead - probably not as fast a course but it does come with the added benefit of a lie in!

Lapin

Post by Lapin » 01 Apr 2017 07:46

I got accepted for Buxton so I guess thats me definitely doing it now! Been really slack doing any club stuff recently with the excuse that I'm concentrating on HC training (concentrating is a loaded word there...).

Happy to get the train up if the start time isn't too crazy but does anyone have space for one in a car they're taking up?

Dave

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 01 Apr 2017 10:37

Keith and Ian - you are both on the start sheet for the Buxton race too :)

Thanks for the good luck for wales tomorrow Ian!

Dave - I would give you a lift but I'm afraid I've got my sister coming along too & won't be able to fit you both in the car. Is anyone else driving up with a spare seat plus bike space for Buxton?

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 01 Apr 2017 10:43

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 02 Apr 2017 18:30

John Hunt, Xavier Disley and I travelled down to the R25/3H course in South Wales today, for the Merthyr CC 25 mile TT. This course is the one that the all-time fastest men and women's UK 25-mile record is held on - broken last year by Marcin Bialoblocki in 44.04 and Hayley Simmonds in 49.28. The course starts on a flat-ish road, but then falls off the edge of the world, down a 4km long descent. It then goes out to a turnaround point, and back again, but stops near the foot of the hill, which makes it fast!

Surprisingly we didn't get near these times! But John smashed his PB with a 53.12 - 18 seconds away from the Beacon senior men's record; I took 2 mins 45 secs off my PB to come 3rd woman with 55.59, 27 secs away from the Beacon senior women's record; and Xavier Disley took 2 secs off his PB with 53.27, despite sitting up for the final 5km with shoulder pain.

Me with £20 prize money - that'll just about cover the post-race snacks...:

Ian Taylor, Richard Kings, Simon Dighton and a couple of other Beacon members raced in the Worcester open 25 today - it would be great to hear how you all got on :)

Simon Dighton

Worcester

Post by Simon Dighton » 02 Apr 2017 19:03

Congrats on S Wales - pretty smokey times there - augurs well for the rest of the season

Waiting to get full results and missed Ian. Richard went round in I think 1-15 and I came in with a steady 1-01-48 - satisfied with as not a quick course by any stretch of the imagination. Last weekend did a 10 over near Severn Stokes with a 23-33 which on a day when the quickest was over 20 mins was decent.

Next up Little Mountain - just a reminder, entries must be in by close of play Tuesday

Best Simon

keith

Post by keith » 02 Apr 2017 19:26

Well done all in both events gutted to be on grass cutting duties today As I'm still a little bruised from Wednesday night.

RichK

Post by RichK » 03 Apr 2017 13:02

Four of us for Worcs StJ on K34/25 on Sunday morning in conditions as good as you're going to get.

Simon D 1:01:48
Paddy A 1:02:35
Ian T 1:08:36
me 1:15:43

I was definitely making up the numbers doing a 'test run' to decide if I'm back up to entering the LMTT before it closes tomorrow
There is no secret ingredient

IanT

Post by IanT » 03 Apr 2017 13:30

Congrats on the pb's in South Wales, great work!

The weather conditions in Worcester were pretty much as good as it gets for that course. My previous best on the course was a fairly sedate 1:09:36 and somehow I've never managed to get the pacing right, always blowing up over the last few miles. This time, I'd vowed to get the pacing right and was feeling confident on the start line (well, a more accurate description would be to say I was feeling slightly less trepidation than normal).

Despite the great conditions, I managed to do exactly the same thing again! My halfway split was just under 33 mins, but I only managed to make it back home in just over 35 mins for a 1:08:36. Still, a pb is a pb so I'm not complaining and the good news is there's another opportunity to mess my pacing up again with the club 25 on that course in May!

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 04 Apr 2017 04:56

Some remarkable results here. Some records are going to go soon! So good to see the club with it's competitive teeth back in. (I do have to pop mine in the glass before I go to sleep though).

May do a couple of TT's soon but not expecting too much this season.

Lapin

Post by Lapin » 13 Apr 2017 08:07

For the people going up to Buxton tomorrow - I'm gonna be travelling up by train and carrying a small bag of clobber with me to keep warm on the way up and the ride down. Would it be ok to keep it in someone's car thats driving up?

Cheers!
Dave

John

Post by John » 13 Apr 2017 10:35

I'm riding fairly late but you can stick it in mine if that's any use.

If you want to hang about I can offer you a lift home too.

Lapin

Post by Lapin » 13 Apr 2017 15:04

Cheers John, that would be bostin

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 14 Apr 2017 07:53

Good luck Dave! I'm driving up with my sister & dog so I'm aiming to get there for 10.30 to drive the course then go for a little walk with the dog, so will hopefully see you all there at some point :)

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 14 Apr 2017 23:42

Well done to everyone who raced in the Buxton Mountain TT classics series today - good practice for the LMTT next weekend! Definitely a race that lives up to its name - mountainous is the word. They should also add windy, foggy and soggy. The course starts in Longnor, near Buxton and soon starts to head up hill - 6-7km of climbing later you hit the main road from Buxton to Leek. Pretty exposed and gusty up there...4km or so of that, and you take a sharp left, a short climb then it's a hairy descent back into Longnor (my max speed 75kph today!). 2 laps of that for women and vets, 3 for the senior men.

I'd definitely recommend this for anyone who doesn't fancy traditional dual carriageway time trials for next year - lots of people on normal road bikes and really well organised including a HQ 20 metres from the start line!

Thank you Ian T for the excellent cheering as well :) sorry to hear your knee was injured, hope it is fixed very soon

How did you find it Dave, John and Keith?

Lapin

Post by Lapin » 15 Apr 2017 01:25

Bloody 'orrible, and I mean that in the best way. I blew up more times than I cared to count on the 3rd lap and the weather at the top on my first was so bad I had an existential crisis and wondered if I'd either missed the turn or had ceased to be. My goal was to come in under 2 hours and 'not be last' which I managed by the looks of things. You TT lot are feckin quick!

keith

Post by keith » 15 Apr 2017 09:00

One tough mother of a course all the climbing in one large hit . The second side of the triangle when the TT bike sould have come into its own was too windy for my bike handling skills on the first lap , better on the second . And that's one he'll of a descent for the 3rd side of the triangle . Glad as a vet I only had to do 2 laps 3 would have finished me. Truly a beautiful part of the world . Nowhere for miles could you drop a Malteser without it rolling away

dannewns

Post by dannewns » 15 Apr 2017 21:15

Hi All

quick question I've been looking at the following site for upcoming TT events

http://events.midlanddc.org.uk/calendar/approved

I notice there is one tomorrow that im considering going along to, but im not 100% sure if its an open event. Are all events listed here open to anyone who is a member of a club or would I need to enquire first.

thanks

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 15 Apr 2017 22:55

dannewns wrote:I notice there is one tomorrow that im considering going along to, but im not 100% sure if its an open event. Are all events listed here open to anyone who is a member of a club or would I need to enquire first.
Those events are all club events, which anyone from the organising club or any other CTT-affiliated club (including the Beacon) can turn up to and ride (whereas open events have to be entered in advance).

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 16 Apr 2017 10:59

Hi Daniel - just check on the description as some of them do say entries are limited to members of their own club - if it doesn't say that it should be fine :)

Dave McCann - video & photo of you in this album! Looking speedy :) Scroll down to the post by Charlie Toon if that link doesn't take you straight to it:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688493 ... 269378591/

Dave and John photos here too, page 1 and 7:

http://www.mickhall-orders.com/mp_clien ... &ckw=false

And the official race photographer was Kimroy:

http://www.kimroy-photography.co.uk/gal ... mId=604465

Lapin

Post by Lapin » 21 Apr 2017 15:16

Well found! Although the video makes it look a lot less painful than it was at that point

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 23 Apr 2017 21:16

A bit last minute - there is a 4-up team time trial on Sunday 7th May, on the K41/25 (east of Birmingham, near Wolvey). I can't make it, but are there 4 (or 8) people who would be interested in making up a team for a Team Beacon entry?

Entries close this Tuesday night, so if you can reply back within the next day or so (or arrange a team between you), then get an entry in - apparently there are only 19 teams entered so far!

Entries are here:

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/14963

Facebook page about the event here:

https://www.facebook.com/HCRC4Up/

Still waiting for the Silverstone 9 up entries to open, but keeping my eyes peeled!

Jess

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 23 Apr 2017 21:47

Lapin

Post by Lapin » 24 Apr 2017 08:33

Great efforts from everyone yesterday! Also thouroughly encouraging to find I shared the same pains and dry wretching as much faster folks at the top of Shelsley Walsh.

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 01 May 2017 15:33

Who has entered the Beacon open 10 mile TT on 13th May? If you haven't entered already, entries close tomorrow!

Men's entry page:

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/14994

Women's entry page:

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/14996

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 01 May 2017 22:44

JessRJ wrote:Who has entered the Beacon open 10 mile TT on 13th May? If you haven't entered already, entries close tomorrow!

Men's entry page:

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/14994

Women's entry page:

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/14996
I'm going to be Marshalling, as I'm due to ride R25/3H on the Sunday.

keith

Post by keith » 02 May 2017 18:46

JessRJ wrote:Who has entered the Beacon open 10 mile TT on 13th May? If you haven't entered already,

I've entered

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 02 May 2017 21:50

keith wrote:
JessRJ wrote:Who has entered the Beacon open 10 mile TT on 13th May? If you haven't entered already,

I've entered
So far we have 8 male Beacon entrants & 2 female Beacon entrants. Entry closes at midnight tonight folks, entry for males event at https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/14994 , entry for females event at https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/14996 .

gavhg

Post by gavhg » 05 May 2017 11:40

I'm away for the weekend of the Beacon Open 10 mile. Instead I'm being dragged around the Peak District by a bunch of mountain goats. Instead I have entered the Bromsgrove Olympia open 10 mile TT on the same course the following weekend with 3 others from the GB Transplant team. Is anyone else doing this?
Pedalling with 3 kidneys (only 1 working)
GB Transplant Cycling Team