Club runs - 19th March

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 19th March

Post by WorcsPhil » 13 Mar 2017 09:06

30 people out on the three rides on Sunday, and a dry day was had, despite rain falling all around us. I saw on strava that Beaconites elsewhere had heavy rain, so the club run gods were shining on us this week for a change.

I'm beginning to think that we are beginning to have an issue with A-rides...we are consistently lacking ride leaders not called Phil and attendance is down on this ride in particular, regulars are riding elsewhere and no one seems to be stepping up from the B-rides. I'd like to confirm that A-rides are not frightening, it's not too fast to be off-putting, and communication and ride etiquette are very high (no one is dropped), so it would be great to have new blood (and returning old blood!), new leaders and new interest. It could be of course, that the excellent rising interest in racing and time trialling is leading to this impact, and if so, that's no bad thing. Don't forget, leaders can suggest any length, any destination...ideas anyone?

Having said that, the B and C rides are always popular on nice days, hence our average attendance across all club runs is the highest it's ever been, and some 25 up from this time last year....so we're offering a wide range of rides, but somehow the A-rides needs a boost. Perhaps it's because I'm leading too often!

Anyway... this week's rides are:

A: Volunteer required
B: Brewood - Nick Shenton
C: Pershore - Colin Groves
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 20 Mar 2017 08:22, edited 2 times in total.

Colin G

Post by Colin G » 13 Mar 2017 10:04

Sundays C Run will be to Pershore. Last time we stumbled upon 'Coffee and More' in Bakers Arcade which was pretty good. There's an area to put your bike where can see it and they seemed pleased to accommodate us. I'll ring ahead.

55 miles ish.

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 13 Mar 2017 14:21

I will be back on the A ride once the weather turns the corner and summer bikes are back in fashion. Winter bikes for me equals social speed only i'm afraid.

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 13 Mar 2017 15:17

Although i have not been on many club rides due to racing (and travelling to observe the humiliation at Goodison Park this WE), from my observation a large section of the B riders are more than capable of moving onto the A ride (although some of them might have to slow down a bit)!

It reminds me of the similar situation a few years back with good, strong riders like Matt, Keith etc staying with the B ride. Some people like Nick, James and Paul maybe don't realise how strong they are and of course they have a "band of Brothers" thing going on. Can't blame them for that.

Colin G

Post by Colin G » 13 Mar 2017 15:30

Phil, I hereby solemnly promise to lead an A run later in the year provided I've managed enough saddle time.

I don't know about anyone else but my fitness dips into trench over the winter months. An A ride would see my viral infested carcass hallucinating in a ditch at the moment.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 16 Mar 2017 13:10

This weeks B Run to Brewood (Which I'm reliably informed is pronounced Brood) heads out via Kinver, Wombourne & Codsall.

Heading back via Pattingham, Half Penny Green and Kinver.

Approx distance is 72 Miles BH to BH.

Distance to the cafe is roughly 35 Miles.

Colin G

Post by Colin G » 19 Mar 2017 16:39

On today's C run to Pershore were:

Colin Groves (L)
Si Walker
Graham Gamblin
Sarah Dowden
Phil Gameson
Andy Wrightson
Vincent Bulso
Fenella Brown
Simon Woodward
Colin Hall
Mark McConkey
Neil Evanson
Gemma Johnson
Simon Turner
Adrian McHugh
Dave Little

Enjoyed that. Thanks to everyone for helping keep the group together on the return. We even saw some sunshine in the tail wind!

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 19 Mar 2017 17:18

On today's blustery B Run to new club run destination to Brewood were:

Nick Shenton (Leading)
Paul Johnson
James Tate
Neil Orchard
Neil Lynch
Vince Tenant
Liam Roberts
Ben Crone
Mark Roberts
Mel Potter

Adrian Ravenscroft started off with us but I am informed he had a mechanical issue and so didn't continue onwards.

Another lady who's name I didn't get also started off with us but didn't continue after around 5 miles into the ride. Someone did go back to look but she must have turned off somewhere.

Another great day out on the bike despite the challenging winds.

neilo

Post by neilo » 19 Mar 2017 18:59

Cheers for today nic, great route and decent cafe, thanks to everyone else for the great company (apart from Paul)

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 19 Mar 2017 19:36

Another lady who's name I didn't get also started off with us but didn't continue after around 5 miles into the ride. Someone did go back to look but she must have turned off somewhere.
That's a shame! That would be Natalia Barroso who was attempting to move up from the C ride.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Simmo

Post by Simmo » 19 Mar 2017 20:45

Cheers Colin great ride out despite the wind.

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 20 Mar 2017 09:23

Colin thanks for leading a very enjoyable ride, good to be back on a club run after (yet another) lengthy absence. Nice route, nice cafe, good company.
Graham

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 20 Mar 2017 17:23

Si_Walker wrote:
That's a shame! That would be Natalia Barroso who was attempting to move up from the C ride.
Not quite sure what happened Si, we weren't going particularly fast due to the awful headwind.