Club runs - 26th March

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 26th March

Post by WorcsPhil » 20 Mar 2017 08:20

Hi all,

Some 25 riders out at the weekend, with another very healthy C-ride turnout despite the windy conditions, but again no A-ride.

So I’ve gone radical this week….don’t take umbrage!

I intend to re-label some upcoming B-rides as A-rides as the pace and distance is very similar between these runs and Neil (a fine fellow and an example to all) also recognises this and has stepped up and kindly volunteered to start this process this coming weekend, in that his Beacon Burst will be labelled as an A-ride, meaning that for the next few weeks, we want a few volunteers to run 90-100kms B-rides at 24-25kph max to encourage stronger C-riders to step up.

At present, the perception is that there is too big a gap between B/C rides, hence I will re-label some upcoming B-rides from Nick and Paul as A-rides. Nick/Paul, please don’t be offput by this, lead them in exactly the same way, and if the normal B-crowd were planning to ride them all together, then please still do so. The world will not be knocked of its axis if these are A-rides. They will be the new norm.

For this to work, I need two things:

- B-riders moving to the A-rides to do so willingly. Listen to the great sage Dave Hughes who rightly observed last week that there is little difference in these rides, and that it reminds him of when traditional B-riders such as Keith, Ian and Matt all moved up onto A-rides a few years back, with no ill effects. We have an excellent set of regular, strong B-riders…all move up together.
- We also need a few weeks of stronger C-riders volunteering to lead B-rides. Colin, your Beacon Burst on 14th April will therefore be labelled as the B-run in the very hope we encourage people to move up.

So that’s it, we’re in a transition stage on club runs…regular A-ride leaders have moved on to time trials/racing (which is excellent and how it should be), leaving only me and Lord Whiteman as regular A-run leaders, so it’s now time for B-ride regulars to lead A-runs, with the knock on effects to stronger C-riders leading some B-rides. This experiment will be reviewed at the end of the April/May/June listings. [It’ll probably fall apart as its success is dependent on some new people leading, he added misguidedly]

I appreciate that the timing of this ain’t perfect with this Sunday being Mother’s Day, but well done, Neil for starting this off. This week’s rides are:

A: Beacon Burst 45 miler led by Neil Orchard
B: Volunteer required
C: Charlecote - Si Walker

…Help me out here ï￾Š
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 27 Mar 2017 10:38, edited 2 times in total.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 20 Mar 2017 10:30

In that case I'll upgrade my C ride on 2nd April to a B.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 20 Mar 2017 10:49

Andy Terry wrote:In that case I'll upgrade my C ride on 2nd April to a B.
and given my poor state of affairs in terms of cycling, I shall probably upgrade from an F to an E run.

Si_Walker

C Ride

Post by Si_Walker » 20 Mar 2017 20:52

I will lead the C ride this coming Sunday to;

Charlecote which is 54 miles BH return.

Load up your GPS device here;

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19694096

The cafe has been notified.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 23 Mar 2017 08:59

Thanks, Si.

Can we pleeeaase have a B-ride volunteer leader this week, even if it's a more relaxed Beacon Burst as we want to make this transition work in the short and the long term, i.e. not just change from having no A-run to having no B-run.

Let's not fall at the first hurdle, in fact we haven't even got over the Melling Road (oblique horse racing reference!)

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 24 Mar 2017 12:09

Can't volunteer this week due to racing on Sat....

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 24 Mar 2017 20:01

The re-classification seems like a good move. I do hope that leaders come fwd and support this. I can't be there as I am racing on Sunday. There are a couple of races around the Pinvin area if anyone is over that way. 10.00 am start from Bishampton village Hall.

neilo

Post by neilo » 26 Mar 2017 13:44

On the 'burst' today were
Neil Orchard
Simon Booth
Mark Connell
Phil Field
Liam Roberts
Jamie Dennis
Alistair Hey
Paul Johnson
Andy Wrightson
Ryan Evanson
Neil Lynch
Leonie Balter got to Chaddesley bit her chain snapped, hope you got back ok.
Thanks to everyone for the company.

Gemma_j1983

Post by Gemma_j1983 » 26 Mar 2017 14:56

Back home after gear cable failure!
Thanks to Si and everyone who tried to fix it.
Thanks to Adrian who arranged a lift home for me. :)

Si_Walker

C Ride

Post by Si_Walker » 26 Mar 2017 15:28

A large C group was split into 2 smaller groups at the start, a couple of mechanicals held up proceedings a little but all got to the Cafe. Gemma abandoned at the Cafe after the rear deraillier cable snapped and which could not be replaced. One group left ahead of the others at the cafe and later split into two to accommodate some slower riders, hope they all got back OK.

Thanks to the supporting leaders, Pete Norman and Si Turner and also to Adrian McHugh for arranging to get Gemma home.

There were several strong C riders out today which would be fine on a B ride at the the right pace.

Its a good idea to change your gear cables once a year or to carry a spare, they usually snap without warning and often inside the hood, which can make it tricky to fix by the road.

The C riders today were as follows;

Si Walker (Leading)
Nathan Burton
Sarah Dowden
Gemma Johnson
Neil Evanson
Torrin Gatier
Kyle Gatier
Colin Hall
Glyn Hughes
Dave Little
Mark McConkey
Adrian McHugh
Pete Norman (leading a small group from the Cafe)
Dan Robertson
Ash Turner
Simon Turner (leading the 2nd group from the BH and home)
Simon White
Simon Woodward

(Dave Cole - didn't proceed to the cafe of own accord)
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 26 Mar 2017 17:39

I managed a repair of sorts on Leonies chain and then got her back to the BH, she only had to get to Moseley so should have been ok

Andy Terry

Re: C Ride

Post by Andy Terry » 26 Mar 2017 19:40

Si_Walker wrote:There were several strong C riders out today which would be fine on a B ride at the the right pace.
I hope some of today's C riders will join on the B ride to Arley next week.