Club runs - 13th August

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 13th August

Post by WorcsPhil » 07 Aug 2017 09:33

Well, there was something like 35-40 riders out on Sunday's rides. The A-ride was excellent, not just my thoughts but by consensus...14 riders, a great café, and at a competitive summer speed of 28-29kph which was testing but manageable by all who were there. Thanks to Paul for leading and finding a new café which should become a regular summer venue.

Good numbers also out on the B and C rides, but a little uncertainty with regard to who was there...please can people post to that week's thread as to confirmation of names...think I'm still missing surnames of a few people. Thanks Helen...sounds like a good round trip there :D ...and to Phil G for leading the B-ride for the 3 time in 4 weeks!

... and guess where that leaves me. we had virtually 40 riders out on Sunday, but we are reliant on 3-4 regular leaders...given the national average that only 15% of people ever volunteer to lead (a sad stat!), we should have 6 regulars and 10 occasional others, so please meet me halfway on this. We have 5 available weeks this club run season, surely we can muster leaders in advance...so don't sit back and wait, 'effin put your name down! (I know I appeal to you virtually every week, but with so many riders riding regularly, we should be more fully booked than we are)...and Vince...that includes you!!!!!!!!

This week's rides are below and all are available, although we do have an alternative Nick Shenton club run to Staffordshire, which will involve an Eddy Merckx bar, pork pies and a tour of the fired kilns of the Potteries. Nick, please post details here if you like...

A: Volunteer required
B: Evesham (Raphaels) - Barry Evans
C: Wyre Forest - Matt Hale

Alternative club run to Staffordshire led by Nick Shenton

Nicks_77

Re: Club runs - 13th August

Post by Nicks_77 » 07 Aug 2017 22:09

I know it's been a while since I organised one of these, but here are the full details of this Sunday's Alternative Club ride.

Starting from Stone in Staffordshire we shall head South East through Milford skirting along the edge of Cannock Chase before heading South West to Penkridge before heading North West up to our cafe stop in Newport, Shropshire.

From here we head North East a short distance to the small market town of Eccleshall to the Merckx Bar which is full of Cannibal related memorabilia and some rather tasty Belgian Beers & a selection of home made pork pies.

From here we attempt to ride in a straight line back to Stone for the finish.

The ride is 54 miles in length with very little climbing but should prove to be a good day out on the bike. Usual rules apply there will be no specific pace and we all keep together.

The public car park in Stone is in the A520 Christchurch Way just before Morrisons on the one way system, ST15 8ZB. Parking is free on a Sunday.

Aiming to meet up at around 8:30 for a prompt 9:00 start.

I know there are a few people wanting to do this ride who don't drive so if anyone has a spare seat for them I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

Any questions just PM me or post on here.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 11 Aug 2017 11:07

I'll lead the B run.

If there are only a few A riders (not sure how many are joining Nick oop north?), then feel free to join us, but you'll be expected to contribute on the front at a steady but spirited B run pace. No surging, no drops.

Probably an indirect route down to Raphael's at Evesham. Watch this space for details.
Belt up, we're going for a ride

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 12 Aug 2017 14:07

I'll lead a C ride... destination TBC. Will post details later

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 12 Aug 2017 15:01

Beacon B (plus any A strays if they want) route to Raphael's cafe at Evesham:

http://www.gps-sport.net/routes/Beacon- ... ham_206708

You can download the gpx/kml file ('Actions' in top right) for use in your garmin or nav aid etc

About 95 km / 1000 m (ignore what it says on site). Its a well used route but a good'n. Stack up on bread pudding at Rafael's and leave something in the tank as there is more uphill coming back. Forecast is looking good.

0900 for 0915 sharp depart from the Black Horse.

Riders are reminded of Rule 56: http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#56 :mrgreen:

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 12 Aug 2017 20:05

Here's the route for the C ride - destination: Wyre Forest (49 miles)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24142740

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 13 Aug 2017 14:07

On the thoroughly enjoyable C ride today:

Matthew Hale (leading)
Pete Norman
Toby Hale
Si Walker
Neil Evanson
Colin Hall
Helen Jamieson
Mark McConkey
John Stewart
David Little

Dave Cole rode with us to Bewdley and then turned off just before the café.

Gary's mac met us at Cafe, but didn't ride back with us.

Thanks everyone

Wilvo

Post by Wilvo » 13 Aug 2017 15:38

Successfully finished my first B ride. Certainly stretched me but thank to everyone, especially Dave for looking out for me and making sure I was alright.

Great ride and I didn't embarrass myself.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 13 Aug 2017 15:53

A small but perfectly formed group headed out on today's joint club ride with Black Horse Velo on a rather pleasant jaunt around the lanes of Staffordshire before briefly dipping our cleats into Shropshire for a cafe stop.

Having never ridden the route before or stopped at the cafe the ride went well with no incidents to report.

On today's road trip were:

Nick Shenton (Leading)
Carolyn Clegg
Andy Wrightson
Chris Ashford
Phil (El President of club runs) Richards who incidentally rode from Kinver to Stone, then rode back to Kinver from Newport.

Finally thanks to all the BHV boys & girls who turned up en mass & made it a nice social day out.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 13 Aug 2017 16:32

On today's B run to Raphael's cafe at Evesham were:

Usain Bolt (last minute entry as he was looking for a career change and to neutralise Dave H's sprints)
Barry Evans (leader)
John Hitchcock
Dave Hughes
Paul Johnson
Martin McGowan
Vincent (psssst)Tennant
Will Woodhouse
Kevin Young

Beautiful day to be out on the bike. Well done to Will, who stepped up from C in to the jaws of a bunch of homeless A riders! And thanks to Dave for looking after him. The two of them still beat what was left of the pack home after we stopped for yet another Vince flat :roll:

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 14 Aug 2017 10:45

Cheers for the run Barry. A super day for a bike ride. Sunny but crisp rather than hot. I am not used to this relentless distance stuff at the moment but hung on OK.On the up;
Barry; leading and pace of ride.
Will Woodhouse Acquitted himself very well on upscale ride

On the way down;
Vince Time to invest Vince. Nice wheels, shame about the tyres/tubes

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 14 Aug 2017 13:35

Matt Hale wrote:
13 Aug 2017 14:07
On the thoroughly enjoyable C ride today:

Matthew Hale (leading)
Pete Norman
Toby Hale
Si Walker
Neil Evanson
Colin Hall
Helen Jamieson
Mark McConkey
John Stewart
David Little

Dave Cole rode with us to Bewdley and then turned off just before the café.

Gary's mac met us at Cafe, but didn't ride back with us.

Thanks everyone
Thanks for leading matt. It was a lovely route at a great pace.
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!