Club runs - 20th August

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 20th August

Post by WorcsPhil » 14 Aug 2017 09:25

The height of Summer and the weather was kind for club runners on Sunday. This meant we had 25 riders out on the 3 runs, with an excellent away-day in Staffordshire, led by the Pied Piper of Iverley, Nick Shenton. It's great to ride different roads, with different people and I can't recommend these days enough...I think Nick has another one planned in September and the 'Leek leg-breaker' (rather like 'Snakes on a Plane') says it all really. Thanks also to Barry and Matt for leading the B and C rides....interesting to see Matt lead the C-ride as he likes his hills and his C-ride didn't disappoint, I'm just surprised he didn't force the riders to do 4 hill-repeats up Wyniattes Way and it's 30% sections.

I post every week about encouraging leaders, so this week, I won't.

...and with the club run championships only having 4 Sundays left, Andy Wrightson is still 3 points behind Paul Johnson...it really couldn't get more exciting, the BBC website is full of comments on this today...all saying that Andy needs to lead 3 of the 4 weeks to take the trophy...possibly!

Anyway, this week's rides will probably fill up over the course of the next few days...

A: Tewkesbury - Neil Lynch
B: Ellendon Farm shop (just north of Evesham) - Andy Wrightson
C: Volunteer required

Andy W

Re: Club runs - 20th August

Post by Andy W » 14 Aug 2017 16:16

I will lead a B ride this sunday at B pace, it will be to Ellenden farm shop, only the 2nd time the club has been there so any C riders want a change and fancy moving up then come along its about 62ish miles.

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 18 Aug 2017 23:26

Hi I'll take a A run to Tewkesbury.

Its a flat, fast route, but as it will be my first A leading and my recent bike miles have been curtailed by holiday the pace will more lower end A.

I'll post a route tommmorw AM.

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 19 Aug 2017 11:12

tomorrows A run will be something like this

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24369065

75 miles and pan flat 9.15 start, bring café locks

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 20 Aug 2017 15:00

A large B run split into two groups i lead the second group to Harvington(Farm Shop)
Paul Johnson(L)
Neil Orchard
Alan Weaver
John Hitchcock
Alberto Recchioni(Broken chain turned back)
Nick Shenton
Tim Jarvis
Vince Tennant
George Barker(Cafe)
We left the cafe at about 11.45 without joining up with the rest of the group :shock:(At least the leaders crank stayed on the bike sorry Neil) :oops:
Paul Johnson

Ian

Post by Ian » 20 Aug 2017 15:31

After the grand depart from the Black Horse of both A & B runs together the A run took up the initiative through Rednal on to Barnt Green, only for lead rider Neil Lynch to suffer a mechanical and abandon his ride. With Kevin Young stepping up to the plate, the group were ably led to Tewkesbury with the café stop at Croft Farm Water Park, Lakeside café & bar, Bredon. Average group speed 18+ mph.

A Group
Neil Lynch ~ DNF (Lead)
Kevin Young ~ Lead
Ian Simpson
Wayne Gibbs
Phil Elwell
Diego Costa
Ben Crone
Kelly Baker

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 20 Aug 2017 15:49

As Paul subtly hinted, I had to abandon the A today due to a mechanical.

Thanks to everyone who stopped to help, I made it home ok. With no nominated leader the group carried on as more of a collective and no doubt muttering 'call this a club run', / 'this wouldn't happen if Paul Johnson was in charge'

If anyone took a list of names can you post them please.

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 20 Aug 2017 16:04

Andy, a interesting and enjoyable B ride to Harvington and coincidental that we also had rider with a broken chain which was fixed at the roadside :D
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

DavOz

Post by DavOz » 20 Aug 2017 16:17

C run to Charlecote.
David Little (leading)
Adrian McHugh
Mel Kavanagh
Mark McConkey

Surprisingly straightforward run.
Thanks for putting up with my (usual) stop at Earlswood Lakes for a banana & short break :-)

Alberto Recchioni

Post by Alberto Recchioni » 20 Aug 2017 16:22

Thanks for the 3 beacons who stopped to help me fix the chain. I had to pedal very gently to get back home.
Next time I will be better set up!

Big drin drin from my bell!

bikercolin

Post by bikercolin » 20 Aug 2017 16:42

great B run to Harvington today with Andy, should we consider an award for the leader attracting an epic crowd onto the B run today?

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 20 Aug 2017 16:55

Si_Walker wrote:
20 Aug 2017 16:04
Andy, a interesting and enjoyable B ride to Harvington and coincidental that we also had rider with a broken chain which was fixed at the roadside :D
Yup - our B run ruled!! We had multiple split links offered, a chain tool, and the expertise to get our rider sorted. ;;-) :lol:
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

Andy W

Post by Andy W » 20 Aug 2017 18:07

Leading the first of 2 groups to harvington today and may i say combined the biggest B group iv seen was
Andy wrightson (leading)
Colin hall
Tony fowler(visiting from up north)
Tess oelofse
Si walker
Gavin passmore
Laurie derbyshire
Paul deryshire
Helen jamieson
Martin vowles
Neil evanson
Simon turner
Chris thompson
Gareth forknell (first time out with the club)
One broken chain along the way but was fixed on the road side no other mechanicals to report.
And thanks to paul johnson for leading the second group i hope the route was enjoyed by all