Club runs - 10th September

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 10th September

Post by WorcsPhil » 04 Sep 2017 08:05

Well, that was a weekend of two halves. Those of us who went out Saturday enjoyed a most perfect English day, dry, warm and sunny with light winds, and those of you who went out on Sunday didn't. Oh well, you can't win 'em all. I hope the cyclocross was a success, and surely rain adds to the fun when you actually want mud? I don't think the rain and cold did much for the Mad Summer Hare sportive riders however, where there was a sizeable Beacon contingent, but console yourselves in that it was still a nicer day than the Mad March Hare!

Two amazing Beacon performances of note to mention of course. Last weekend, Sir Stuart White rode and rode and rode for 95hours, and in that time went from Land's End to John O'Groats, a truly remarkable performance...under 4 days for an End-to-End, and this weekend, in what seems to be the Jess show this year, Dame Jessica rode a 100mile time trial on the A50 near to Derby in 3:59, ducking under 4 hours by a few seconds, setting both the male and female Beacon club record (sod it - just the club record, eh!) in the process. An amazing ride also. The largest of hats are doffed to Sir Stu and Dame Jess.

Anyway, club runs are back this week, hoorah, and as the Tour of Britain is in our neck of the woods next Sunday, Neil has smartly suggested an A-ride to pick this up...this week's rides are:

A: Malvern - Neil Orchard (08:15 start to coincide with the Tour of Britain going over Malvern at 11:40'ish)
B: Volunteer required
C: Volunteer required

slogfester

Re: Club runs - 10th September

Post by slogfester » 08 Sep 2017 14:48

Neil
Got a route for Sunday's A? I suspect you'll be coming out near me in Romsley?
After 2 hard Sundays I'm looking forward to a nice social gentle wheel-suck :lol:
Belt up, we're going for a ride

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 08 Sep 2017 19:54

I will lead the B run on Sunday to the Wyre Forest Visitor Centre.

The route will be http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Be ... yre-Forest - my usual one to the Wyre Forest Visitor Centre.
[The plotted route has an unnecessary trip along the dual carriageway and back between Day House Bank and Belbroughton.]

This is relatively short at 55 miles, but is quite hilly on the way out, so I would not recommend it for people thinking of moving up from the C run.
If there is a small turnout on Sunday and still no leader for the C run then I may change the destination to Charlecote (further but flatter).
Phil Gameson

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 08 Sep 2017 19:55

Sorry, the link (copied and pasted from the 4th of June) did not work.
Hopefully it will be OK this time: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Be ... yre-Forest
Phil Gameson

neilo

Post by neilo » 09 Sep 2017 08:45

Route goes out via dayhouse/quantry lane Barry, 85ish miles 6000 ft climbing.
I suspect it may be pretty busy at British army camp for food so if we struggle there we'll stop in Upton after the tour has passed through.

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 09 Sep 2017 10:41

I'll lead a C run to Fladbury, café will be Café Craycombe.

Out via Tardebigge, Bradley Green and the Lench especially. Back via Bishampton, Stoke Prior and Dayhouse Bank.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 09 Sep 2017 13:11

Thx. I'll meet you on Quantry Lane, c. 0830
neilo wrote:
09 Sep 2017 08:45
Route goes out via dayhouse/quantry lane Barry, 85ish miles 6000 ft climbing.
I suspect it may be pretty busy at British army camp for food so if we struggle there we'll stop in Upton after the tour has passed through.

Wilvo

Post by Wilvo » 09 Sep 2017 20:02

PhilG wrote:
08 Sep 2017 19:54
I will lead the B run on Sunday to the Wyre Forest Visitor Centre.

The route will be http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Be ... yre-Forest - my usual one to the Wyre Forest Visitor Centre.
[The plotted route has an unnecessary trip along the dual carriageway and back between Day House Bank and Belbroughton.]

This is relatively short at 55 miles, but is quite hilly on the way out, so I would not recommend it for people thinking of moving up from the C run.
If there is a small turnout on Sunday and still no leader for the C run then I may change the destination to Charlecote (further but flatter).
Hmm to b or c? I guess it's a case if I want to take it easy or work hard.

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 10 Sep 2017 14:04

A fairly uneventful ride. On the way out mist turned to drizzle then light rain, but stopped as soon as we put our rainwear on.
As advertised a relatively hilly route out, with the return leg somewhat easier. At least te hills protected us from the wind some of the time.
On the ride were:
Phil Gameson (leader)
Barney Butler
Eugene Farrell
Wayne Gibbs
Dave Huges
Martin Jowles
Simon Woodward
[List taken on a piece of paper - more reliable than my phone!]
I hope we see the two newcomers (Barney and Eugene) again.
Phil Gameson

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 10 Sep 2017 15:32

I must stop racing soon and go on more club runs. Enjoyable, met 5 new Beacon riders and even got to go on the front a bit. Cheers Phil.

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 10 Sep 2017 15:48

On the C ride today:

Matthew Hale (Leading)
Toby Hale
Si Walker
Neil Evanson
Colin Hall
Simon Turner
Gemma Johnson
Will Woodhouse
Natalia Barroso
Richard Jones
Mel Kavanagh
Mark McConkey
Mark Gardner
Huan Dong
Pete Norman

Thanks everyone... home before the rain and a well timed café stop meant the ride was mostly dry. Careful on the lanes - plenty of muck on the farm tracks

neilo

Post by neilo » 10 Sep 2017 16:54

A great ride out to Malvern today and it was rain free!
Was good to see the pro's on the kom section flying passed us in their big rings (apart from cav on his own at the back)
Sight of the day had to the old ladies face in the cafe when Barry asked for a machiato! 'its an espresso with a little bit of frothy milk on top'......'oh' :shock:

Riders were
Neil Orchard
Barry Evans
Neil Lynch
Andy Wrightson
Rob Wade
Adam Green
Neil Ashton
Phil Elwell
George Barker met us in Malvern.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 10 Sep 2017 18:01

Thanks to Neil O (1 of 3 Neils!) for leading an enjoyable and fast A run to Malvern. 31 kph av on the way back with the tail wind. Some impressive pulling on the front by Andy. It got a lot easier for me after I unstuck my back brake on top of Malvern!
It all seemed rather chaotic and unorganised at British Camp. The road only just got cleared in time of tractors towing huge trailers of potatoes. Maybe John Deere are going to run a team next year :lol:
I think George should be included as a honorary A for today; he's evidently had a tough year, so great to see him back on the bike.
The distant look I get when asking the 'barista' for one of their finest macchiatos is now water off a duck's back :roll:

Andy W

Post by Andy W » 10 Sep 2017 18:42

Windy on the way out and tail winds on the way home so most enjoyable A ride never the less and watching the pros come through made me think how unfit I really am lol, cheers for today folks another good day in he saddle

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 11 Sep 2017 07:49

Interesting re "Just in Time" road clearance. It was the same at Bourton on the Hill on Saturday. Rolling road closure was about 15 mins or so ahead of the lead group.
In France or Spain it is at least an hour - longer on Cols. Observing, me and another spectator did a spontaneous risk assessement and thought it was getting dangerous with crowds building up and wandering into the carriageway, startled car and truck drivers threading through, and one lad doing down hill wheelies at speed and a couple of others doing repeated ascents (OK) followed by fast descents on a wet road. No marshals and two nice but ineffective and I suspect unbriefed specials. As the old music hall song goes "you can't trust a special like an old time copper when you can't find your way home" The motor cycle cops were very effective and really into it but by that time a potentially dangerous half hour had passed.

Any problem requiring a tow truck or an ambulance and the race would have been delayed.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 11 Sep 2017 09:57

Dave, in Belgium, which possible has the most road racing of all countries, other than major races rolling road closures on open roads are only 15 minutes or so ahead of the race, whilst in towns and on climbs it's usually an hour or so. Given that some roads have a race on them at least once a week during the spring and early summer the Beligiums are really good at this.
My experience of Spainish closures(other than the Vuelta) is absolute chaos.
I think we do rolling closures pretty well given how little opportunity our police have to practice and the usual open road racing is very well organised and controlled, let down occasionally by riders used to the chaos of sportives.