CycloX frame fitting

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

slogfester

CycloX frame fitting

Post by slogfester » 05 Sep 2017 18:41

A mate has just purchased a cycloX bike (Cannondale CAAX) from Evans. When he asked me about sizing I advised he would be about 56 cm frame based upon his height and trying my 56 cm road bike. Evans sold him a 58 cm on the basis that he was border line. My question is, with cycloX do you go up or down frame size when you're a inbetweener? It looks too big to me. Only max of 2" seat post showing and no stand over clearance. But I am not familiar with cycloX fitting and the design needs. Do you rely on seat post flex or does the frame and wide tyres do the job adequately? He wants to ride road and off-road on the bike.
(Oh and Evans managed to put the rear tyre on the wrong way round!)
Any comments?
Thanks
Barry Evans (not related!)
Belt up, we're going for a ride

petemarshall

Re: CycloX frame fitting

Post by petemarshall » 05 Sep 2017 19:32

The differences in geometry between a CX bike and a Road bike are small. The top tube is usually flat or slops less dramatically than most modern road bikes (to make it easier to shoulder) and the bikes wheelbase is a little longer, but not quite as long as a touring bike. A Caad CX bike would be a genuine CX bike built for racing (rather than the "gravel bikes" that are more like a touring bike. The sizing would usually be the same as your road bike, the stand over height would be a little less because the top tube doesn't slope (as much).
I would say that a 56 frame would usually be fine for 5' 11' to 6' and a 58 6' 1'' to 6' 2'' certainly my old Caad road bike (and this was a long long time ago Caad 3 and different geometry) was a 54 and I am 5' 9'' 1/2 . My present CX bike is not a Caad and remains 54.

The only time I personally might choice a larger frame than usual is for touring as they can be stronger and more comfortable.
My guess would be that Evans had one in stock in that size and wanted to get rid, but I may be doing them an injustice and they have a different approach to bike sizing than has done most people well for decades.

If you want to do what the pros do, then go for the absolutely smallest frame you can get, slam the bars and assume the position.

Tim

Post by Tim » 05 Sep 2017 20:24

I'm 5ft11 and have three cannondales all 56cm including a caadx for cyclocross. Did he test ride it and others? I'm surprised they sold him a dale at all, they told me they were unreliable frames, I ignored their advice and bought a cannondale off them via cycle to work scheme and it's been great for nearly a decade. On your bike in Digbeth said same, presume at the time cannondale weren't giving as much commission or they had lots of spesh and treks to sell.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 05 Sep 2017 21:30

Unreliable frames😱
Arguably the most successful aluminium frame series ever is unreliable?
What evidence did they give for this?
I wish I still had mine. It was so unreliable it had been raced from new by a pretty decent racer(not me) then spent many years in my company until it was stolen.
Everything on it had been replaced more than once and it had been thrown at the road enough to give it dings on the dings. Still a great frame.
There was a nice 54 Caad CX bike for sale at the races on Sunday. Old but still good. Tempted to buy it But obviously glad I didn't if the experts at Evans think they're unreliable😱

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 05 Sep 2017 22:03

Hmm..cx frames are generally smaller than road bikes.

I'm 6ft1 and I take a 54cm in my Ridley CX, yet a 56cm on my Pinarello and a 58cm on my winter Steel fixie. Having a more upright position in CX is beneficial...

Tim

Post by Tim » 05 Sep 2017 22:40

Was strange, they each said identical line about issues with frames and warranties but both sales assistants said it in two different shops that were both selling cannondales! Was back in 2009. Anyway glad I ignored them both as they were pushing me towards trek, willier or bianchi. Going back to the original post hopefully it doesn't really matter and some tweaks will make ok. I had same worry after I bought from Evans as the fit was very basic so had a bike fit at another shop and luckily they said I was on the right size frame.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 06 Sep 2017 10:36

Thx for interesting replies. He has yet to ride the bike and I will see what he looks like when he does. He is no more than 6 ft max but says he has a 34 inch inside leg and short body (opposite to me!), but it just looks too big for him. If there is no specific need for cross frames to be bigger than road frames (all other things being equal), then it IS too big.
I'll report back.
(The bike was delivered fully assembled (save for pedals and straightening the bars) in a massive box. Clearly straight from the factory. Which makes the incorrectly fitted tyre even more worrying).

Tim

Post by Tim » 06 Sep 2017 11:32

If he hasn't ridden maybe send back or go into the shop with it for an opinion and change down a size before riding?

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 06 Sep 2017 18:05

He is going back to shop next week and they'll do a proper fitting this time with a 56 cm waiting in the wings!

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 06 Sep 2017 21:46

That sounds like a good idea. I'm 6' 1.5", also with 34" inside leg, and I ride a 56cm CAAD road bike. I've heard a lot of people say that Cannondale frames run big compared to other makes.

Also: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... evo-44732/. :lol:

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 07 Sep 2017 07:16

On the issue of bikes being supplied poorly assembled, I recently had a bike from Ribble and the gears were not correctly indexed and both discs were rubbing. Only took a few minutes to correct, but for those not mechanical inclined it would be a pain.
On the positive side, I checked out a brand new bike Simon brought from Planet X last year and that was absolutely perfect😎

deero83

Post by deero83 » 20 Sep 2017 12:08

I am 6'0 and struggled with my 56cm CAAD10 which has found a home with Mr Egan.
I should have had a 58. Epic Cycles in Ludlow said I was in-between sizes and plumped for the wrong one.

caashford

Post by caashford » 20 Sep 2017 15:22

I have a CAADX 58cm and am 186cm. Not ridden it a great deal, but picked it up of a friend who was a similar size / build. Not had any particular issues with it, or feel overly stretched. I'm probably not the best to comment on CX frames / racing though, as I have only done x2 in 3 seasons!

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 22 Sep 2017 22:51

He was re-fitted by Evans to a 56 who apologised and gave him an extra discount! I've yet to see him on it so can't say for sure.