Club runs - 15th October

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 15th October

Post by WorcsPhil » 09 Oct 2017 09:26

25 riders out on the 3 club runs at the weekend, so thanks to the Xav/Jess speedster ride to Evesham, and also to Vince and Pete for leading the B and C rides respectively. Kudos for Andy Wrightson who blasted round the audax on Saturday and still went out on the club run the day after...

The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed that my 2-year plan to persuade Vince to lead a club run finally bore fruit, and Vince even posted his very first post on the message board to do this. I now need a new project, so am looking for suitable victims to persecute. To avoid this, you simply have to follow Vince's example. We are still struggling for names being posted onto the October/November/December thread, so you know what to do...

It would certainly be remiss not to praise Philip Whiteman and the pre and post helpers (especially to Si and the Regans for the drink and food preparation) at the Autumn Rivers Audax on Saturday...another successful Beacon event, and a beautiful route to boot. A big thanks to Phil for organising this - Don't forget to enter the Snowdrop/Sunrise Audax (of which I'm trying to climb into Philip's shoes as organiser) sooner rather than later, I'm already a quarter full!

Apparently, it's going to be warm this coming weekend, so come on out on a club run, re-acquaint yourselves with the beauty and poetry of a social ride in club colours. There are a couple of competing events this weekend, of course, notably the Birmingham half/full marathon on Sunday and the Thruxton time trial closed circuit championships, both of which will attract a number of Beaconites...good luck if you've entered either of those.

...and as we're mentioning marathon running, Chris Ashford ran the Chester Marathon on Sunday, and blitzed it in a new PB of 2:29:11...that is amazing, I'm sure you will agree. Top, top running, Chris, now put the trainers away and get your bike shoes on! _Q

This week's rides are:

A: Cobhouse - Phil Richards
B: Wickhampton (or Pershore) - Alan Weaver
c: Halfpenny Green - Matt Hale

AlanW

Re: Club runs - 15th October

Post by AlanW » 09 Oct 2017 10:46

Put me down to do a B run to the Wayside Farm Shop in Wickhampton, 72 miles BH to BH so a little longer than normal? But the pace will be slightly lower to allow for that and also to attract others to join. The café is at bang on the mid point of the ride to :D

Rough route will be something like this HERE

Or one that we haven't been to in a while, Coffee and More in Pershore, 62 miles -HERE
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 09 Oct 2017 12:42

Good stuff, Alan...thanks for volunteering. C-ride leader anyone?

A-ride will be to Cobhouse Fisheries via some rarely ridden roads, including Camp Lane, which is a beauty with views aplenty. 36 miles there, 30miles back. Flat apart from the bits that aren't. Likely route here:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/11238652

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 12 Oct 2017 08:57

...another call out for a c-ride leader, please. The weather this weekend might be our last summer-feeling ride, so there are plenty of c-riders expected, and it just needs you to volunteer to lead. If you can't do it this week, then put your name down on the Oct/Nov/Dec thread!

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 14 Oct 2017 10:32

Phil - I'm racing cyclocross ATM, so not doing club runs. I'll look to lead once the season ends.
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 14 Oct 2017 10:57

I'll take the C ride... destination Halfpenny Green

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 14 Oct 2017 11:40

Thanks, Matt...so we have a full set of leaders now on a day where the weather looks good...so don your summer kit, and ride out with your summer bikes one mo' time

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 14 Oct 2017 18:09

The Aussie Santa will have a swagbag of Xmas goodies to give away that can't travel DownUnder. If you like Cliff bars and SIS gels, it could be your lucky day :)
Phil, if I consume more than a ship's tot of grog tonight, I might rendezvous with you at Romsley village. If I get the key to the stores and sink a barrel, I might join Mr Weaver :lol:
Belt up, we're going for a ride

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 15 Oct 2017 14:29

The C ride went to Hillier's cafe at Dunhampton (Garmin malfunction with the Halfpenny Green route), riders were as follows;
Si Walker (leading)
Matt Hale
Niel Evanson
Adrian McHugh
Nigel Power

I omitted to include Anne Hughes who peeled off before the cafe.
Last edited by Si_Walker on 16 Oct 2017 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 15 Oct 2017 14:34

This morning perfectly formed B run quartet consisted of the following:-

Alan Weaver (leading)
John Roberts
Wayne Gibbs
Simon Woodward
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 15 Oct 2017 15:10

An eventful A-ride today saw a wasp sting, which led to an analfala, anulpha, analplhat,...bad reaction, a short trip to Kidderminster hospital but the rider decided he was ok to continue. This meant that we had a hilly 15 miles to do in 50 minutes before Cobhouse stopped doing breakfasts at 11:30... this was the incentive for Mr Johnson and others to blast away at the front, and the fastest dismount since that little jockey rode 7 winners at Royal Ascot, to ensure a 11:31 arrival, which meant people got their breakfasts. Phew.

On the ride in alphabetical order were:

Phil Richards (leading
Frankie Dettori
Phil Elwall
Barry Evans
Adam Green
Paul Johnson
Andy McGrath
Matt Regan
Vince Tennant
George Thorne
Andy Wrightson

,,,and meeting us at the cafe, a warm welcome back to club runs to Philip Whiteman

...and a cheery goodbye to Barry, who returns to Brisbane this week for the next 18 months or so. Good travels, Barry - see you in 2019

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 15 Oct 2017 16:00

WorcsPhil wrote:
15 Oct 2017 15:10
This meant that we had a hilly 15 miles to do in 50 minutes before Cobhouse stopped doing breakfasts at 11:30... this was the incentive for Mr Johnson and others to blast away at the front, and the fastest dismount since that little jockey rode 7 winners at Royal Ascot, to ensure a 11:31 arrival, which meant people got their breakfasts. Phew.
Bullet dodged!! :roll:
Attachments
keep-calm-and-dont-throw-your-toys-out-the-pram-1.png
keep-calm-and-dont-throw-your-toys-out-the-pram-1.png (41.11 KiB) Viewed 12897 times
Paul Johnson

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 15 Oct 2017 18:02

Vermin, vermin everywhere. I never knew there so few ways of dispatching rats legally.

On another topic, it was great to witness Paul ‘Nurse Nightingale’ Johnson in full action and demonstrating care and compassion for his fellow riders. An example to us all.

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 15 Oct 2017 18:17

Thanks for stepping in Si... nice run out to Hillers. Will see if I can get my computer working for next week!

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 15 Oct 2017 19:57

Thanks to Phil et al for another great ride today. Lots of fun; I will miss the banter.
And yes, the Beacon first aid triage was revelatory:
"I've been stung and don't feel well"
"Do you want to stop"
"No I'll hammer myself on the front and get it out of my system""
"Ummmm, I think we better stop"
"Do you want to go to the hospital"
"I dunno"
"Look, how long is this going to take? Breakfast special finishes at 1130"
Collective gasps
"OK, I'll go to the front, get us there on time, and ride it out my system"
Belt up, we're going for a ride