Memorial ride and vigil on Monday from UoB

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

Tim

Memorial ride and vigil on Monday from UoB

Post by Tim » 12 Oct 2017 06:50

Details here:

https://m.facebook.com/events/678789515 ... tif_t=like

Join if you can. I know many members are planning to looking at the event details.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

CakeStop

Re: Memorial ride and vigil on Monday from UoB

Post by CakeStop » 12 Oct 2017 17:43

I'm planning on attending if I can make it. I've always been a bit uneasy about CM style rides but I'm minded to make an exception in this case, I can always peel off if I'm uncomfortable with the way it's developing.

I possibly haven't kept fully abreast of the facts but I feel some disquiet about what has and has not been done with the Cycle City funding (£22m I think) so as well as joining in with the act of remembrance it might be an opportunity to hear what others think on that subject.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Tim

Post by Tim » 12 Oct 2017 19:26

There's a petition members might want to complete too
https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3 ... A43TpA&s=1

Regarding the funding and how it's been spent, im not making a final judgement until the a34 and A38 cycleways are built, if they are built. The free bikes and canal resurfacing is good but won't in themselves significantly increase commuting by bike, these builds are essential and hopefully like the first in London will prove to be the beginning of improvements not end.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 12 Oct 2017 19:28

Here's the grant application if anyone wants to compare what was said and what has been achieved

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... PINOiWPC7s

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 12 Oct 2017 20:21

I'm going. For me, it's not as much about the protest element, its more the rememberance of cyclists who've lost their life on the roads.
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 12 Oct 2017 23:52

Hels147 wrote:
12 Oct 2017 20:21
I'm going. For me, it's not as much about the protest element, its more the rememberance of cyclists who've lost their life on the roads.
Me too, which is why I hope the protest doesn't take over and overshadow the remembrance.

Alberto Recchioni

Post by Alberto Recchioni » 13 Oct 2017 08:22

I will be there, my GF as well.

Tim

Post by Tim » 13 Oct 2017 09:13

Agreed Helen and Steve. Not the time for protest or directing blame although hard not to be angry and want to aim that towards someone. I think high numbers on the ride is a show of protest and demand for action enough.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 13 Oct 2017 21:16

Tim wrote:
13 Oct 2017 09:13
Agreed Helen and Steve. Not the time for protest or directing blame although hard not to be angry and want to aim that towards someone. I think high numbers on the ride is a show of protest and demand for action enough.
Yeah - I just always hope there isn't a militant faction at these type of events.
I'm currently searching out battery powered fairy lights to adorn my bike.

Tim

Post by Tim » 16 Oct 2017 09:28

This from event Facebook page. Looks like there will be at least 200 there. There's a ride from near children's as well as uni

A few guidelines have been put together for tonight. To ensure everyone has a safe and positive experience please take them in and follow them as best you can and please remember that all riders are responsible for their own safety at all times:

- Although the weather should be warm and dry very high winds are forecast, which is not ideal for inexperienced cyclists. The procession will be travelling extremely slowly, but for anyone not fully confident in cycling in windy conditions then we will ensure there is a walking group, there will be ample time to walk the distance so do not feel any pressure to cycle.

- Light up! It's a sign of our hope, please make yourself and your bike as bright as you can.

- Bring candles and jam jars, the more the merrier.

- When riding on dual carriageways please keep to the left hand lane to allow passage of non cycle traffic, our intention is to be seen and be safe, not to unnecessarily inhibit anyone else's journey. On single lane roads please ensure to keep to the correct side of the centre line.

- It is likely to be an emotionally charged event and we a want the outcome to be peaceful and positive. This is a ride to remember, share the love and plan for a better world.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 16 Oct 2017 20:29

That was everything I hoped it would be and nothing that I feared it could be. Very respectful and touching, almost without exception motorists seemed to know what was going on and pulled over and waited respectfully even when there wasn't a police motorcyclist in their face. Kudos to WM Police for their support.

toby

Post by toby » 16 Oct 2017 23:02

Tonight was both poignant and moving but I cannot remember somebody I did not know. So whether the event is described as a "remembrance" or a "demonstration" depends entirely on ones personal point of view.
I can only show solidarity with everybody that uses Birmingham roads on two wheels and protest that in 2017 the fact such tragedies still occur. Tragedies that make me both very sad and very angry.

This vibrant city is completely let down by its transport infrastructure, or lack thereof. Tonight's event was organised by, attended by and supported and promoted by people who could be described as a "militant faction" at one time or another when all they have had is a deep conviction about how bikes can help us all to lead healthier and happier lives. This perception, in my experience, shifts entirely around support in the community, appropriate police response and the narrative imposed by the media.

“I have learnt through bitter experience the one supreme lesson to conserve my anger, and as heat conserved is transmuted into energy, even so our anger controlled can be transmuted into a power which can move the world.”
Mahatma Ghandi

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."
HG Wells

ryan stait

Post by ryan stait » 17 Oct 2017 10:27

I thought it was very well done and there was a much bigger turnout than I expected. I didn't know the victim either but since I dislocated my knee-cap in July and am cycling at half capacity until an operation next month, it's made me realise how vulnerable you are on the roads - especially when cycling at a much slower pace.

It was also good to see people who lived close to the junction come out and show their support

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 17 Oct 2017 10:40

CakeStop wrote:
16 Oct 2017 20:29
That was everything I hoped it would be and nothing that I feared it could be. Very respectful and touching, almost without exception motorists seemed to know what was going on and pulled over and waited respectfully even when there wasn't a police motorcyclist in their face. Kudos to WM Police for their support.
Completely echoes my thoughts.

It was great to see such a cross section of cyclists there and also residents. It was very moving.

Tim

Post by Tim » 26 Oct 2017 07:00

New Facebook group has been set up following this, over 400 members inside 24 hours. Join it here:

https://m.facebook.com/home.php#!/group ... _tn__=HH-R

#PBC

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 26 Nov 2017 16:37

There is another slow roll and ride on Dec 3rd to present a petition to Andy Street West Midlands Mayor. Details can be found on their Facebook page but I've posted them below for people who don't use Facebook.

Should be possible to do it after the Beacon Club Runs.

The time has come to hand over the Protect Birmingham Cyclists Petition to WMCA Mayor Andy Street, which is currently standing at 5250 signatories!!

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... clists[url]

The petition will be delivered by a Christmas themed Slow Roll, expect hundreds of people along for the festive ride.

The plan to meet at Gibb Street in the middle of the Custard Factory at 13:45 pm, leaving by 14:15 pm cycling to Millennium Point/Eastside park (B4 7AP), where we will meet WMCA Mayor Andy Street at 15:00 pm.

Let's take the chance to introduce ourselves ahead of the cycle hack event he will be joining us for in January and demonstrate the support and momentum that is building along with the demand for safe and inviting cycling for all.

Invite your friends, family, Councillors, MPs, anyone of any age and ability is welcome to join the ride and we will ensure it is safe and enjoyable for all.

Festive outfits, lights, sounds etc are encouraged as is celebration of the awareness we have raised and the movement we have built in such a short space of time.

Let's also keep in mind our purpose and be aware that there is a lot of work ahead to achieve meaningful change and an end to the tragedies which have continued in our region this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... 079028[url]

This is where change starts, make sure to be on board.

#protectbrumcyclists

Event for https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProtectBrumCyclists/

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 26 Nov 2017 19:30

Lobbying Andy Street is an appropriate action. He is a good guy and may prove to be one of the best leaders the Midlands has seen since Jo Chamberlain. As a progressive individual he is the most likely candidate to understand and enact change, whilst a member of political party he is clearly unpolitical in his views and standpoints. He is everything that good local government should be unlike the poorly performing leaders that have been responsible for transport, cycling and any other form of policy that has been discharged by Birmingham City Council for decades. Quite frankly the City has been a waste of space especially for meeting cyclists' needs. The City should have been subject to intervention and turnaround years ago.

With the deal for the Midlands Engine, we will see greater capital and revenue investment streams feeding into the Andy Street's West Midlands Combined Authority. Gaining influence and support from Andy will be fruitful for cycling within the WMCA area.

Go and support the Street petition.