Club runs - 26th November

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 26th November

Post by WorcsPhil » 20 Nov 2017 09:42

A beautiful day, which was (helpfully) the best day of the week, saw around 43 riders out on the three club runs, and what rides they were.

A splendidly fast and flat A-run led by me went to a new venue, which albeit was fine in most ways, proved slow in feeding riders, with Paul Johnson ordering his breakfast first, but was served nearly last...it was wonderful to see his magnanimous character chill as he focused on the funny side, waiting patiently for his food, encouraging others to eat first...Alan Weaver's B-ride threw in some big hills in its punchy 90kms, including some real knee-tremblers in the Wyre Forest, and George's C-run saw nearly 25 people ride for at least part of it which proved a bit too much for Auntie Rita's in Flyford Flavell. This café and Decades in Mickleton are amongst the smaller venues, so perhaps best ridden to when the number of riders are in single figures. Thanks to George and Alan, and it's a real pleasure to see George out again on club rides....

Great to see so many the other riders out on Sunday and the strava teasings afterwards are always a pleasure to read.

Anyway, this week's rides are as follows...currently leader-less but I'm sure they will fill up during the week...didn't Mr Wrightson say he was leading the A-ride on Sunday? Yes he did, and he remembered...hoorah! Full house of leaders now... :)

A: Upton - Andy Wrightson
B: TBC - Phil Gameson
C: Evesham - Dave Cox

Andy W

Re: Club runs - 26th November

Post by Andy W » 22 Nov 2017 07:57

No pressure then Phil lol 'll lead the A run to Upton on Sunday about 75 miles, don't be shy if u know the best place to go when we get there

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 22 Nov 2017 10:12

I'll do a moderately paced run C to Evesham - feeling the need for miles and bread pudding

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 24 Nov 2017 16:32

I am willing to lead the B run on Sunday. It will be to either Charlecote Park or Warwick, which means that it will be reasonably flat and about 55 miles.
The pace will depend on who turns up, but my estimate would be that it will be between 15mph and 16mph.
I post no later than midday Saturday the destination and probably the route too.
Phil Gameson

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 25 Nov 2017 07:48

Seeing that the B run hasn't been to Charlecote Park in quite a while I thought we would go there:
54 miles:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19694096
Phil Gameson

George

Post by George » 25 Nov 2017 09:30

Any decision on which café to use in Upton?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 25 Nov 2017 17:45

George wrote:
25 Nov 2017 09:30
Any decision on which café to use in Upton?
When passing through Upton the other week, I noticed that the Secret Mess opposite the pub is no longer a cafe and appears to have become a fully blown restaurant. So on a Sunday I guess that the only option would be The Marina or Clive’s Fruit Farm. There is a no bistro cafe next door to the Map Shop but I never looked that closely at either its menu or opening hours.

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 26 Nov 2017 14:16

The B run made steady progress to Charlecote Park, apart from a stop for Indy to mend a **flat**.
Alan Weaver joined us at Charlecote, and having failed to meet up with us on route.
As usual the ride back was a little slower and harder - overall we averaged 15.2mph (24.5kmh).
Alan and Nick split off about halfway back, but the rest made it back to Birmingham as a group.
Thanks to everyone for an enjoyable ride, helped by the non stop sunshine and almost completely ice free roads.
Phil Gameson (leader)
Alan Weaver
Nick Shenton
Paul Derbyshire
Laurie Derbyshire
Indy Singh
Gemma Johnson
Wayne Gibbs
Chris Ankcorn
Andy McGrath
Phil Gameson

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 26 Nov 2017 15:34

Yes, a quick look on Strava Flyby confirmed that it took you boys (and girls) longer than I expected it would to get to Branson Cross :oops: So while I assumed that I was chasing you down, you were in fact behind me....doh! :roll:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Andy W

Post by Andy W » 26 Nov 2017 16:09

today's A run to Upton was without incident AND no mechanicalstatus kudos to those who braved the cold and that headwind
(LEADING ) ANDY WRIGHTSON
SPECIAL GUEST RIDER (JACK FROST )
VINCE TENNANT
PHIL RICHARDS
BEN CRONE
PAUL JOHNSON
JOHN WILLIAMS
Last edited by Andy W on 26 Nov 2017 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 26 Nov 2017 16:18

Evesham in winter sunshine C Run

Dave Cox Leading
Will Woodhouse
Simon Woodward
Dave Hutchins
Dave Cole
Mark McConkey

Si Walker
Si Turner
Neil Evanson
Started with us but broke away to warm up and went to Upton Warren (?)

Raphaels was fine but the refurb after the fire means that they are probably concentrating on the carvery and carriage trade after 12.00. I phoned ahead and made sure we were there by 11.30 to use the tables that weren't laid up for lunch. No bread pudding either but a generous helping of a robust homemade fruit cake made a fine alternative. Dave Cole will report separately on the beans on toast.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 26 Nov 2017 18:08

Good ride today Dave - once everyone had warmed up. The newly refurbished Raphaels is very good.

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 26 Nov 2017 18:14

Dave Cox wrote:
26 Nov 2017 16:18

Si Walker
Si Turner
Neil Evanson
Started with us but broke away to warm up and went to Upton Warren (?)
Dave, thanks for the mention, we carried on a bit further to to the Garden Centre at Worcester for coffee and cake.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club