Club runs - 11th February

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 11th February

Post by WorcsPhil » 05 Feb 2018 09:15

We had 22 riders out on Sunday, all enjoying the very cold, but bright and dry conditions. It seems to me that the people who go on club runs enjoy them, and judging from the A-ride yesterday, there's plenty of camaraderie, laughter and unusual discussions (!), but numbers are definitely down this club run season (which starts in October) compared to last year. I'm not sure of the reasons why, indeed, there are likely to be a whole range of reasons for this (including the weather), as we're all different, but we do have 3 runs out most weekends, and invariably we get riders coming forward to lead.

Some of you may have seen this on the cycling weekly website...
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... ain-367981

...where number 5 is all about compromise, and this has been my approach, i.e. any rider can put forward ANYTHING, and that's the ride that week, so again, if there aren't rides that are suitable for you, then lead that type of ride yourself...build it, and they will come.

So what's the point of this ramble? Many clubs, as suggested by the article and by my own discussions about what happens elsewhere, run along the lines of one person leads every week, who's responsible fro everything, with limited variety of route or length, whereas we're big enough to share the load and promote rides of variety, particularly in the summer, so I'm keen that we continue in this regard. If you do have things to suggest, either post them here, or PM me with your ideas or comments...I'm happy to take things on board so that we continue to grow, offer something for everybody at least once in a while and not 'be like other clubs' and leave it all to 2 or 3 individuals.

Anyway, this week's rides are:

A: Leamington Spa - Nick Shenton
B: Halfpenny Green - Rob Wade
C: Volunteer required

Robert Wade

Re: Club runs - 11th February

Post by Robert Wade » 05 Feb 2018 20:29

I can lead a B Run. Probably to Halfpenny Green Airport or somewhere in that direction. I'll post a route midweek. If any ice returns and it doesn't look sensible to ride I'll step aside and let Andy Wrightson lead again.

Alberto Recchioni

Post by Alberto Recchioni » 06 Feb 2018 14:08

I am sorry again but "my start of the year riding my bicycle" is the one planned by boss.... :( working every Sunday up to March.

enjoy beaconies!

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 07 Feb 2018 18:10

Weather and ice permitting I’ll try again and take the A Run to Simons cafe in Leamington Spa. Approx 100km BH to BH.

Colin G

Post by Colin G » 08 Feb 2018 08:43

My apologies - I've had a nasty virus which is still hanging around so I won't be able to lead on Sunday.

Robert Wade

Post by Robert Wade » 10 Feb 2018 12:14

B run to Halfpenny Green will be 57 miles with café stop at 32 miles. No big climbs put fairly constant bumps. I've been at the back of all recent club runs I've attended so pace will be well within club guidelines.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26846214

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 10 Feb 2018 21:16

Hope you feel better soon Colin. We will I am sure manage to set up the C Run tomorrow

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 11 Feb 2018 14:28

The Beacon C ride went to Warwick in the sunshine and returned in the (stinging) hail and snow, Rule No 9 applies (http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/).

Riders were as follows;

Si Walker (leading)
Neil Evanson
Judy Smart (Welcome to Judy and her 1st ride with the Beacon)
Toby Hale
Matt Hale
Dave Hutchings
Will Woodhouse
Dave Cox (departed on the outward leg at Ullenhall due to broken rear gear cable - hope it got fixed OK).

Roll on the spring!
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 11 Feb 2018 15:50

Thanks Simon, I managed to screw in the stop on the rear mech to a middling gear and then set off for Warwick using the triple as a 3 speed as in days of yore. Got to The Tuckery to find it full of the A group who'd been delayed by a **flat** and a wheel rebuild from Vince ! Which cafe did you choose?. Thanks for stepping in to lead sorry I took you off your Garmin route though.

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 11 Feb 2018 16:09

D.C., Is that a wheel build FROM Vince or FOR Vince?

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 11 Feb 2018 17:07

All his own work beside the cafe he is no longer the lad with a hammer in his tool kit

Robert Wade

Post by Robert Wade » 11 Feb 2018 20:14

A small but perfectly formed B Run got to Halfpenny Green Airport without incident in time to meet up with George Barker. A hilly and windy ride to the cafe combined with the start of the snow and rain led to a slightly shortened return leg. Riders were:

Rob Wade
Phil Elwell
Andy McGrath
Dom (Dominic Walker?)
George Barker (at cafe)

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 11 Feb 2018 20:36

On today’s blustery, sunny, snowy ride to ahem....Warwick (Was supposed to be Leamington), were:

Nick Shenton (Leading)
Paul(The Knowledge) Johnson
Neil (The Power) Orchard
Adrian Ravenscroft
Andy Wrightson
Vince Tenant
Stuart White
Ben Crone
Jon Williams
Lee Spiers

Dave Cox (met us at the cafe)

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 12 Feb 2018 06:59

Dave Cox wrote:
11 Feb 2018 15:50
Thanks Simon, I managed to screw in the stop on the rear mech to a middling gear and then set off for Warwick using the triple as a 3 speed as in days of yore. Got to The Tuckery to find it full of the A group who'd been delayed by a **flat** and a wheel rebuild from Vince ! Which cafe did you choose?. Thanks for stepping in to lead sorry I took you off your Garmin route though.
Dave, we went to the Tilted Wig in the square opposite the conveniences, we did see you from the luxury of the inside of the cafe.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 12 Feb 2018 15:56

Happy as long as I get my points !! Good to be near the conveniences though it's a bike ride from the Tuckery. I also saw some other stealth black Beacon jerseys including Keith Adcock - secret no stop training ????

keith

Post by keith » 14 Feb 2018 23:40

We stopped, but at Costa. Toilets Card machines and tuna melt panini my kind of training .