Silverstone 9-up TTT Friday 15th June

Discussion about and results of Beacon club time trials and Beacon member participation in open time trials

Moderators: Beacon RCC, David Cole, martin mc, JessRJ

JessRJ

Silverstone 9-up TTT Friday 15th June

Post by JessRJ » 29 Jan 2018 21:56

SILVERSTONE 9-UP TTT Friday 15th June

Hi everyone - the date for this year’s Silverstone 9-up TTT is Friday 15th June. The aim is to get two x mixed team entries again - one faster, one steadier. If we do get enough riders for 3 teams this year, we’ll have an A, B and C team 🙂 If you want to take part, you must be able to get to the Silverstone track for 5pm on Friday 15th June. Cost is approx £30 per person, with proceeds going to charity. The race is 3 laps of the Silverstone race track - total 11 miles. 5 in the team must finish including 2 women. I will be organising a couple of practice sessions at Halesowen - first session will start with a short timed session to split everyone into the two groups and to help with setting the order within each of the groups. If you would like to take part, please let me know, it was great fun last year 🙂

neilo

Re: Silverstone 9-up TTT Friday 15th June

Post by neilo » 29 Jan 2018 22:21

I'm in again please.

Lee_spiers1

Post by Lee_spiers1 » 29 Jan 2018 22:54

Yes please sounds mint!

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 14 Feb 2018 22:39

Hi everyone

I have booked Halesowen track 2-4pm on Sunday 29th April and Sunday 6th May for Silverstone practice sessions :) Both sessions will start with a warm up, followed by an individual effort, the results from which will be used to decide on teams, and also provide information for the layout of riders within each team. We will then do some exercises in groups, to practice riding well together. To take part, you must be able to attend at least 1 of these sessions - in case anyone can only attend the second session, the final team split won't occur until the second session - I will be putting everyone's best individual effort time (5 laps of the track which is c. 2000m) from both sessions in order, and making the final split of teams in the second session.

So far I have got the following people who want to take part:

Neil Orchard
Lee Spiers
Paul Watkins
Helen Jamieson
Martin Davis
Xavier Disley
James Tate
Keith Adcock
Mark Roberts
Roger Cutler
Alistair Hey
Dan Newns
Carolyn Clegg
Chris Ashford
Laurie Derbyshire
Andy Terry
George Lazenby
Stu White
John Hunt
Paul Derbyshire
Me

That's a total of 21 people at the moment which is awesome! So we need another 6 people to make 3 teams...anyone else interested :)?

Jess

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 15 Feb 2018 08:26

Think my name is a mistake, I’m not one for TT’s :shock:

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 15 Feb 2018 09:43

Edited, sorry Gavin!

IanT

Post by IanT » 22 Feb 2018 22:41

I’m in.

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 23 Mar 2018 01:12

Entries are now open so I’ll get those sorted - however we are currently 5 people off having 3 full teams. Can everyone see if they can get someone else who wants to take part (tell them how fun it was the last 2 years and how good Helen’s cake was :D) - we need 5 more people to make 3 teams (22 names above including Ian T). If we don’t get that within the next week, I’ll only be able to enter for 2 teams. Please help!

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 23 Mar 2018 19:16

I can’t make the training sessions, but if you’re desperate for an extra rider I can do the TT

Lapin

Post by Lapin » 24 Mar 2018 10:37

I can make it now! Put me down!

May have a car that day too.

Cheers,
Dave

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 24 Mar 2018 16:37

Dave McCann, a hopefully new Beacon joiner called Tessa Sandberg and Clare Grice are also in...Chris Ashford is out due to injury (hope you get well soon Chris!) so we’ve got 3 more places to fill - please anyone who can think of someone who’d enjoy it get persuading :) thanks for that Gavin, will keep that in mind :)

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 28 Mar 2018 20:25

I have just submitted entries for three mixed teams! Everyone who is in the list below has a space in one of the teams. We are still three people short of having three full teams, so please keep asking around the club for anyone else who would be keen to take part :)

Please can I have £32 from each of you as soon as possible (cost per team is £288) - to bank account 54-21-47 / 29560241, or PayPal friends and family to jrhodesjones@yahoo.co.uk. Please put your name as a reference so I know who it is from :)

Please can everyone also send me an email to jrhodesjones@yahoo.co.uk so I can send you the info pack for the event - there are a few rules about equipment including helmets, wheel depth etc, so please make sure you have had a read through.

Just a reminder that practice sessions are Sunday 29th April 2-4pm and Sunday 6th May 2-4pm. You need to be able to attend at least one of the two sessions, ideally both. Each session will start with an individual effort which will be used to seed everyone between the three teams, followed by group exercises to practice riding well together at race speed in our teams.

Neil Orchard
Lee Spiers
Paul Watkins
Helen Jamieson
Martin Davis
Xavier Disley
James Tate
Keith Adcock
Mark Roberts
Roger Cutler
Alistair Hey
Dan Newns
Carolyn Clegg
Chris Ashford
Laurie Derbyshire
Andy Terry
George Lazenby
Stu White
John Hunt
Paul Derbyshire
Ian Taylor
Dave McCann
Tessa Sandberg
Clare Grice
Nic Vipond
Me

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 02 Apr 2018 19:10

Thanks everyone who has sent me money and emailed me - there are still quite a few who haven't yet sent me money and an email - please can you do that as soon as possible as the entry fee has left my bank account :)

Everyone who has emailed me - I will send the info pack as soon as I have a few more emails.

Lee_spiers1

Post by Lee_spiers1 » 07 Apr 2018 22:16

Cheers. Emailed and will send money Monday.
Can only make the later session.

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 24 Apr 2018 20:57

Info email has gone out to everyone I have email addresses for :) if you haven't received it, please let me know

Jess

keith

Post by keith » 29 Apr 2018 21:35

Big thanks to Jess and Xav for the session today enjoyable but hard work out , I am a broken man .
On a slightly embarrassing note I have lost my wallet between the track and home , a long shot I know but I was just punchy enough after the last exercise to have dropped it in the wrong bag so of you haven't already but you smalls out to wash could you check please ta

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 30 Apr 2018 10:06

keith wrote:
29 Apr 2018 21:35
Big thanks to Jess and Xav for the session today enjoyable but hard work out , I am a broken man .
On a slightly embarrassing note I have lost my wallet between the track and home , a long shot I know but I was just punchy enough after the last exercise to have dropped it in the wrong bag so of you haven't already but you smalls out to wash could you check please ta
Martin Davis has got it - he has posted on Facebook asking for your phone number

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 01 May 2018 09:21

Well done to everyone for a successful Silverstone training session on Sunday :) next session is this Sunday 2-4pm again - please be ready to start riding at 2pm. Please bring £2 for each session to cover the track hire costs - see you then!

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 06 May 2018 19:08

Well done to everyone after another successful Silverstone training session this week!

Some might say that the 20C jump in temperature versus last week is the reason for the significantly faster times this week...or you have all been eating your vegetables and training hard. Whatever the reason, nearly everyone who came to both sessions improved their standing 2km time this week - very well done to all.

I have split everyone into teams based on their fastest time over the 2 sessions - team lists below, and a funky graph to show % time change versus last week.

Just to add a few points to remember, particularly for anyone doing the race for the first time, which we have found helpful the last couple of years:

1. The race is 11 miles long - a sprint start will not win you the race or make for an enjoyable ride :) get out of the pit lane together, at a moderate pace appropriate for your group, until you are on the main track when you can wind it up

2. Stronger riders should not get to the front and suddenly speed up - if you are one of the stronger riders in your group, spend longer on the front. Something like strongest 2 spend 40 secs on the front, next 2 spend 30 secs on the front, next 2 spend 15 secs on the front, next 3 roll through and straight off again (or sit in and allow riders to change in front for some turns). We will work this out before the day and let you know what would be good timings for the riders in your team

3. Five riders have to finish the race together, with the time taken on the 5th rider to cross the finish line. A minimum of 2 of each gender has to be in this group for mixed teams (i.e. 2 girls / 3 guys or vice versa). The fastest option would be for the other 4 riders to have contributed so strongly to the group effort that 4 riders have been 'used up' by 2-2.5 laps in (out of 3 laps), leaving slightly fresher / stronger riders to finish. Everyone in a team on the podium gets a medal as everyone will have contributed to the effort of getting 5 riders to the finish line as fast as possible

4. Get aero :) it will make a huge difference if you own a skinsuit, or have a well fitting (i.e. not flappy) jersey and bib shorts. If you have thin overshoes and aero gloves (i.e. thin lycra not baggy mitts with velcro) as well, it will make a difference. Please post below if you are lacking aero kit - I'm sure between all of us there will be some spare skin suits, overshoes and gloves around :)

5. Safety - there are 80 teams that take part, set off at 1 minute intervals - you will most likely overtake or be overtaken by another team at some point. Check over your shoulder before you pull off the front of the group.

6. Have fun :)

Jess
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 18.44.26.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 18.44.26.png (33.48 KiB) Viewed 18757 times
Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 18.45.52.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 18.45.52.png (68.42 KiB) Viewed 18757 times

Lapin

Post by Lapin » 07 May 2018 08:11

Great stuff!

I for one wouldn't mind some aero gloves if there is a spare pair kicking around - alternatively if anyone has recommendations for a pair under 30 quid I wouldn't be above buying a pair. Same goes for recommendations for aero covers - I really like my velotoze but they rub ever so slightly on my power meter pedal body and melt...not ideal... Got some Santini overshoes that are good and tight but if there are some relatively inexpensive non-latex covers out there that come highly recommended let me know!

Cheers,
Dave

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 22 May 2018 08:52

We now have three full teams! John Hitchcock is joining the mixed B team and Paddy Allaway is joining the Men’s A team

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 11 Jun 2018 23:15

Hi all

I have just sent an email to everyone doing the Silverstone 9-up TTT on Friday - please make sure you read it as there are important timings in there that you will need. Any questions, please let me know!

Thanks

Jess

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 19 Jun 2018 22:10

Photo of one of the teams courtesy of Geoff Bell, Amersham RCC

Eat cake before you're hungry