Club runs - 13th May

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 13th May

Post by WorcsPhil » 07 May 2018 22:07

With a full set of leaders, we had 33 riders out on the four rides this past weekend....and what a weekend it was! We don't get too many of these, eh, sunny, warm and dry, so it was great to see so many people making the most of it...has strava ever been so busy, with no one on Zwift!

Be good if we can keep this up and have three rides this week, and with a long A-ride starting at 08:15, it would be especially good to get a B-ride leader stepping up with a more 'normal' distance.

Finally, a shout out to Neil Lynch, and anyone else who's riding the Fred Whitton sportive this coming Sunday. This is a trek round the Lake District taking in 8 big climbs, including the comedy climb of Hardknott Pass. I remember riding it, with Mark Patton some 4 years ago, and I still have nightmares. Only joking, Neil, but it is a ride to remember. Gird your loins and good luck.

I'm leading the A-ride this week, which is a first (I think), in that we will be circum-navigating the West Midlands (Circumcision of Birmingham ride), come along, or to the other rides that will be confirmed during the week.

This weeks rides are:

A: Circumnavigation of Birmingham ride (178kms) - Meet at 8am for depart at 08:15 - Phil Richards
B: Volunteer required
C: Cobhouse Fisheries - Si Walker

WorcsPhil

Re: Club runs - 13th May

Post by WorcsPhil » 07 May 2018 22:17

This is the route of the 178kms circumcision of Birmingham ride. This will start at 08:15, and will have two café stops, one at Polesworth (61kms or 38miles), and the other at Brewood (122kms or 76miles). Pretty flat with some pleasant climbs around Cannock Chase.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27252297

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 10 May 2018 08:12

I will take a group to Cobhouse Fisheries, which will be at C ride pace of 14 mph average. The distance is 65 miles return from the Black Horse, outward via Belbroughton and Stourport return via Wychbold and Barnt Green.
The route can be loaded from here.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21945634
Those wanting to take a shorter ride can turn off just after Chaddersley Corbett and rejoin the route at Cutnall Green (~35 miles).
Weather forecast is fair with a chilly start, a possibility of rain in the afternoon and a high of 12 deg C.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 10 May 2018 16:10

Philip Whiteman wrote:
10 May 2018 16:09
WorcsPhil wrote:
07 May 2018 22:17
This is the route of the 178kms circumcision of Birmingham ride. This will start at 08:15, and will have two café stops, one at Polesworth (61kms or 38miles), and the other at Brewood (122kms or 76miles). Pretty flat with some pleasant climbs around Cannock Chase.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27252297
Phil, I think you may wish to reconsider the title. The prospect of such an onerous medical examination on male riders may act as a deterrent to participation.

Putting that aside, the route rather reminds me of the Solihull Audax from a number of years ago. Richard Greer and returned at 15:30 only to be greeted by a miserly offer from the kitchen staff who provided one digestive biscuit and extremely weak squash drink as a reward for our efforts.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 11 May 2018 09:25

Thanks, Phil...I always get my circumcisions and circumnavigations wrong.. :wink: That explains why I always walked around the patients when I was a surgeon.

...and can we have a B-ride leader coming forward please...not everyone wants to ride around Birmingham at some ungodly hour, so be good if someone steps forward for a normal length B-run!

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 13 May 2018 15:51

The Beacon C ride group was rather too big for a single group so it split into two with myself and Dave Cox leading the groups, they did take a slightly different route on the return journey.
The riders were as follows (I hope I didn't miss anyone);

Fenella Brown
Dave Cox (leading
Eugene Farrell
Wayne Gibbs
Matt Hale
Colin Hall
Richard Henry
Martin Hughes
Dave Little
Mark McConkey
Adrain McHugh
Mark Russell
John Soady
Lee Spiers
David Stephenson
Andy Terry
Ash Turner
Simon Turner
Si Walker (leading)
Will Woodhouse
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 13 May 2018 20:01

Perfect conditions for the circumnavigation of Birmingham A-ride. Lots of quiet lanes albeit with poor road surfaces, and purely for the reason that they were in Staffordshire, Nick Shenton seemed to be getting the blame for the potholes, which seemed only fair😀.

Anyway, the riders were, in alphabetical order:

Rt Hon Diane Abbott, who calculated the bill for us at each cafe as being 10p each
Paul Johnson
Martin McGowan
Phil Richards (Leading)
Nick Shenton
Vince Tennant
John Williams
Andy Wrightson
Kevin Young

Macco

Post by Macco » 13 May 2018 21:25

Brilliant C run today in near perfect conditions, well lead by Si & Dave. Thanks too to Si Turner & Collin Hall who pointed me in the right direction at the end.

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 14 May 2018 12:16

Thanks Si,

Fantastic ride today - with the novelty of a hidden 'new' cobbled climb that had most(all?) people walking. Next time we'll know what's coming! :lol: