Cycling in Tuscany

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

Ian

Cycling in Tuscany

Post by Ian » 19 Jul 2018 18:59

Hi guys, thinking about doing a weeks riding in Tuscany next year, may be one centre (Lucca) or perhaps two. Has anyone done any riding in this area with Garmin or mapped out routes?

George

Re: Cycling in Tuscany

Post by George » 19 Jul 2018 20:12

I've had two or three holidays in Tuscany when I took my bike, Ian. However, the last time I rode in the Lucca area was before I had a Garmin. I'm far from being an expert on the region, but I'm happy to share info about the mistakes I made, so that you can avoid them.

Ian

Post by Ian » 20 Jul 2018 12:45

Hi George, thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
I will bear this in mind and when I have a bit more info on what circumstances might be doing will catch up with you. Do you have any mapped out routes rather than Garmin? Or reccommended routes/climbs in that area?

Les Ladbury

Post by Les Ladbury » 21 Jul 2018 15:24

Hi Ian,

I know Tuscany quite well having been to the area several times. It's difficult to offer advice not knowing what you are looking for, do you want to visit the main attractions such as Florence, Pisa and so on. Alternatively do you want to tour and find interesting villages, hotels and restaurants.

If the former you should bear in mind that they will be infested with tourists and if the latter I wouldn't choose Tuscany but would prefer Le Marche.

Having said that Lucca would be a good centre.

Whatever forget Garmin, research the area and use maps. Sat nav is good for finding hotels, restaurants but not for navigating in an area which you don't really know.

It's a beautiful area but remember what I said about being infested with tourists.
Les

George

Post by George » 27 Jul 2018 09:38

I've PMed you, Ian.