Strava question

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

Andy Terry

Strava question

Post by Andy Terry » 08 Oct 2018 21:12

Is it just me or is the Strava feed such a mess these days that it's hardly worth bothering with?

George

Re: Strava question

Post by George » 09 Oct 2018 12:20

It's increasingly cluttered with info about 'challenges' and so forth. Not worth bothering with? Depends on your viewpoint, I suppose. Many people thought that it wasn't worth bothering with before. For me, Strava is primarily a record-keeping medium: the latest in a sequence of such media that began with a piece of lined A4 paper in about 1983. Strava's social functionality has always been a 'fringe benefit' as far as I'm concerned. Therefore the cluttering-up of the feed is mildly irritating, but nothing more.

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 09 Oct 2018 17:41

Bit like Facebook's feed...my preference would be a chronological timeline, but someone must be impressed by the algorithms they seem to like developing!

caashford

Post by caashford » 10 Oct 2018 14:39

I just use it to browse what people have been upto. Most of my data analysis is done through TrainingPeaks.

Probably depends on what you want it for.

Golden Cheetah for power analysis, TrainingPeaks / TodaysPlan for data analysis.

Have a look at some of the google extensions for Strava to sort into chronological order.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 12 Oct 2018 07:19

I originally starting using Strava thinking it would save me recording all my rides in a diary every time I went out. However, despite using Strava for many years, I still feel the need to continue to write all my rides down in a diary, plus save all my rides to Garmin Connect and just to make sure I also save all my rides to RWGPS to.

Better to be safe than sorry, and some may recall what happened twelve months ago when my lad decided to "clean up" the hard drive on the PC!!! :shock:

But in answer to your question, yes I agree, its a right royal mess and the worst thing they did was alter the date order
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 12 Oct 2018 18:37

Would anyone notice or really care if we stopped giving kudos to each other?

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 13 Oct 2018 11:15

Andy Terry wrote:
12 Oct 2018 18:37
Kudos to that idea!

George

Post by George » 13 Oct 2018 11:57

Andy Terry wrote:
12 Oct 2018 18:37
If you or anyone else doesn't feel inclined to give kudos, I certainly won't be offended and I doubt whether anyone else will be either.

People give kudos for all sorts of reasons, most of which don't actually involve being impressed by your riding. In that sense, it's pretty meaningless. However, I don't have a problem with people giving kudos. If they're effectively just saying 'hello', or 'thanks for the ride', or indirectly congratulating themselves, or simply going through the motions for the sake of form... it does no harm.

I only look at my feed about once a week and devote maybe five minutes to a quick whiz down. I generally give kudos for club activities (because I feel I'm making a tiny contribution to the sense of community within the club) or for eye-catching rides (races and tough rides that genuinely deserve praise). But, with a hundred-plus Strava friends, many of whom are riding several times a week, I'm pretty sure that I don't even see 90% of what other people do, let alone get round to giving them kudos.

George

Post by George » 13 Oct 2018 11:58

AlanW wrote:
12 Oct 2018 07:19
I still feel the need to continue to write all my rides down in a diary, plus save all my rides to Garmin Connect and just to make sure I also save all my rides to RWGPS to.
Alan, you're a freak.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 14 Oct 2018 07:49

George wrote:
13 Oct 2018 11:58
AlanW wrote:
12 Oct 2018 07:19
I still feel the need to continue to write all my rides down in a diary, plus save all my rides to Garmin Connect and just to make sure I also save all my rides to RWGPS to.
Alan, you're a freak.
Harsh.... :shock:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 14 Oct 2018 11:31

Copy the FIT or GPX file off your device onto your computer and it's saved. Back up all your stuff, and it's saved again. Strava, RWGPS etc. are primarily for viewing, sharing and analysis.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 14 Oct 2018 11:45

Andy Terry wrote:
14 Oct 2018 11:31
Copy the FIT or GPX file off your device onto your computer and it's saved. Back up all your stuff, and it's saved again. Strava, RWGPS etc. are primarily for viewing, sharing and analysis.
Until your PC crashes and you lose it, unless of course you regularly back up the hard drive and then back up the back up in case you loose the first back up.

Sorted then.....

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 14 Oct 2018 11:46

Andy Terry wrote:
14 Oct 2018 11:31
Until your PC crashes and you lose it, unless of course you regularly back up the hard drive and then back up the back up in case you loose the first back up.

Sorted then.....
Last edited by AlanW on 15 Oct 2018 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 14 Oct 2018 11:49

For 30 years I wrote it in just a diary and never had an issue, no back up needed. Still got all the diaries in the cupboard for reference?

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 14 Oct 2018 12:02

I suppose Strava etc. do provide another level of backup although a Dropbox (or similar Cloud storage) account would do that job better. I think with Strava I was just getting conscious of the amount of time I wasting on there on top of the other social media.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 14 Oct 2018 14:19

And another thing - as we move into winter it would be nice if we had the option to filter out Zwift rides.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 15 Oct 2018 07:17

Andy Terry wrote:
14 Oct 2018 12:02
I suppose Strava etc. do provide another level of backup although a Dropbox (or similar Cloud storage) account would do that job better.
Yes it would, but you wouldn't be able to open the file from there and from time to time I do like to go back and view the details of certain rides or even compare similar rides without the faff of having to export them from one media into another just to open them.

caashford

Post by caashford » 15 Oct 2018 12:10

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 15 Oct 2018 16:25

caashford wrote:
15 Oct 2018 12:10
https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/art ... Activities

Filtering for indoor rides.
How do you selectively filter indoor/virtual rides (or any activity type for that matter) out of your feed? (unless I can't see it or it's a premium I mean summit feature)

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 15 Oct 2018 16:26

AlanW wrote:
15 Oct 2018 07:17
Andy Terry wrote:
14 Oct 2018 12:02
I suppose Strava etc. do provide another level of backup although a Dropbox (or similar Cloud storage) account would do that job better.
Yes it would, but you wouldn't be able to open the file from there and from time to time I do like to go back and view the details of certain rides or even compare similar rides without the faff of having to export them from one media into another just to open them.
Indeed but you only need one 'viewing' app.

George

Post by George » 16 Oct 2018 10:55

Alan, I hope you realise that I was just teasing.

I do the same as Andy: move the FIT files from Garmin to PC, then upload to Strava. The FIT files stay on my PC and are included in the automated backup routines that I have set up for all user files. For me to lose my data, it would take disaster to simultaneously strike all my home hardware, my cloud storage provider and Strava. Nothing's impossible, of course, but I think that that's highly unlikely. And, if there is a nuclear war or the earth flips its magnetic poles or some other disaster scenario materialises, I think that the loss of my cycling records will be the least of my worries.

Manual recording is, I think, at least equally vulnerable to disaster (fire, flood, malicious damage, loss in transit, etc). It's also less convenient and offers less scope for retrospective data analysis. Like a printed book, a manual cycling diary has the quality of comforting tangibility; there is, one connects with the records and the memories associated with them on a more direct and personal level. But that's the only plus in my eyes.

Each to his own though. Have fun turning the pages of your old diaries and sipping a whiskey on New Year's Eve!