Club Runs - 28th October

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club Runs - 28th October

Post by WorcsPhil » 22 Oct 2018 13:05

What a lovely day to go out cycling with friends....We had 27 people out on Sunday, which included a World Champion in Dave Hughes, who extended his normal 150 metres - 3km riding distance at full pelt, to 100kms with reduced pelt. Great to see everyone out, and thanks to Paul, Phil and Simon for leading.

I was going to say not so many races going on now that Summer is over, but the Hill Climb season is in full swing, and lots of Beacon riders are skimping on their roast potatoes to ride these...a huge shout out to a fantastic turnout of Beacon riders at this coming Sunday's National Hill Climb on Pea Royd Lane in Yorkshire...Be great if someone posts a review of the day onto the message board. It was also the Thruxton Closed Circuit TT races on Sunday, and kudos to all that rode...I spotted Gemma Johnson, Ian Taylor, George Thorne and Simon Dighton on the results page. Well done all.

It's also the marathon running month, and a few Beaconites ran the Birmingham half last weekend in the pouring rain, and talking of running, some of you may remember Leonie Balter who was over here for a year last year and rode regularly with Beacon and Brat. I noticed on strava that she ran the Amsterdam Marathon yesterday, and blitzed round in 2hrs 47mins... a fantastic time! She obviously benefitted from running the Timberhonger 10k a couple of times.

Anyway - Back to club runs...I can't lead this coming Sunday as originally envisaged, so we're back to requiring three leaders. I fully expect to send out another email asking similar on Friday, but why not delight me by getting your name down early this week, or indeed, putting your name down for any week on the other thread...

This week's rides are:

A: Cosford - Nick Shenton
B: Either Arley with Richard Leaper or Warwick with Phil Gameson - decide on the morning, there will either be a wrestling or chess challenge at 09:00 to decide :shock:
C: Worcester Garden Centre - Dave Cole

petemarshall

Re: Club Runs - 28th October

Post by petemarshall » 22 Oct 2018 15:13

Maybe not forgetting the Beacon CX team which actually features more Beacon riders than any other races that the club takes part in.
This Sunday at
Stoneleigh National Agricultural and Exhibition Centre , Stoneleigh Park, Kenilworth, CV8 2LG
A club run to support always welcome.

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 24 Oct 2018 18:08

petemarshall wrote:
22 Oct 2018 15:13
Maybe not forgetting the Beacon CX team which actually features more Beacon riders than any other races that the club takes part in.
This Sunday at
Stoneleigh National Agricultural and Exhibition Centre , Stoneleigh Park, Kenilworth, CV8 2LG
A club run to support always welcome.
*ahem* Silverstone 9-up team time trial :)? Just the 27 Beacon riders this year :) not that there’s a point in having a competition about which discipline has the most competition! It’s just brilliant how many Beacon riders do such a huge variety of riding :) (sorry for hijacking the club run post Phil!)

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 24 Oct 2018 20:04

Maybe should have said race series 😁
I think there are nearly 20 registered for the West Midlands CX league, from 5 to 62.

Takes place most Sundays at venues at distances that would make club runs so just giving details in case any potential ride leader is looking for somewhere to go on a club run.

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 25 Oct 2018 11:53

Tis almost the season of club runs for me BUT last major champs this Fri - Sun at Derby velo. LVRC track champs mark the season end for me. I hope all club runs go well and yes Pete, a club run to support Beacon riders would be lovely. About 30 m each way to Stoneleigh which, by current Beacon standards, is a breeze.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 26 Oct 2018 11:00

Best of luck with the LVRC championships Dave

I will lead a C run to Worcester Garden Centre. This will be a fairly slow run

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 26 Oct 2018 17:13

I'll take the A Run to Spiders Web at Cosford this Sunday.

67.5 miles Black Horse to Black Horse

This will be at the lower end of A Run pace as I've not been out as much this last week.

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 27 Oct 2018 15:23

In the absence of anyone else I am willing to lead to Warwick tomorrow. I haven't decided on which route to use yet, but it will be around 55 miles, not too hilly and not involve anything off road.
Phil Gameson

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 27 Oct 2018 19:07

I was looking at leading a run to Arley Arboretum - not too long (about 50 miles BH to BH) and slowish for a B Run, but quite hilly. Could do it next week instead?

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 27 Oct 2018 19:13

Seeing I led last week I am quite happy for someone else to lead this week.
Phil Gameson

George

Post by George » 28 Oct 2018 08:43

rdleaper wrote:
27 Oct 2018 19:07
I was looking at leading a run to Arley Arboretum - not too long (about 50 miles BH to BH) and slowish for a B Run, but quite hilly. Could do it next week instead?
I think that the arboretum may close for the winter. Not sure of the dates.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 28 Oct 2018 09:11

Sorry all for v short notice but I can't make it outthis morning :( Hope to see you all next week.

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 28 Oct 2018 14:47

Due a no show from Richard I found myself leading today - sorry for the initial delay while I sorted a route.

On the B run to The Tuckery in Warwick were
Phil Gameson (leading)
Wayne Gibbs
Paul Derbyshire
Laurie Derbyshire
Huub Zwort
Jon Saddler
James Bindle

The weather was great today (provided you had enough layers on) and we had a good ride both there and back with no incidents. Wayne was suffering from a bad shoulder by Wythall on the return, and made his own way back from there (though he did end up in front of us again at one point!)
Welcome to Jon, James and Huub on their first Beacon ride - we hope to see James and Jon again, though Huub is returning to the Netherlands shortly.
Quite quick for a B run (16.4mph), but there seemed to be plenty of chatter behind me so hopefully not too fast!
Phil Gameson

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 28 Oct 2018 15:06

C run to Worcester Garden Centre. Steady ride with no incidents except for a detour into a new housing estate south of Droitwich

Dave Cole (leader)
Mark McConkey
Mark Gardner
David Stephenson
Claire Fudge
Toby Hale
Matt Hale
Adrian McHugh
Neil Evanson
Dave Little
Dave Cox
George Barker met us at the Cafe
Pete Norman came out with us but had to leave early

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 28 Oct 2018 16:09

Thanks Dave an excellent run and interesting route around lanes I'd forgotten and handy survey of the new housing estates around Droitwich !

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 28 Oct 2018 17:37

On today’s chilly but sunny A Run to Spiders Web were:

Nick Shenton (Leading)
Paul Johnson
Neil Lynch
Neil Orchard
Mark Connell
Lee Spiers
Phil Elwell
Andy Wrightson