New cafe suggestions

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

Philip Whiteman

Coalport YHA Cafe

Post by Philip Whiteman » 02 Nov 2014 14:36

Coalport YHA Cafe, near Ironbridge

Plenty of indoor and outdoor seating. Happy to accept cycling groups.

Closed: November until February

Tel: 01952 588755 to warn of groups

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9258223@N05/8501197695/

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6402405

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 Nov 2014 16:53

A Club Run Expeditionary Force consisting of me and Phil Richards have discovered two further club run destinations.

Comberton Golf Club 'The Corner' Cafe.

Very friendly and receptive to groups of cyclists. It is an informal affair and we will need to give prior notice to ensure they are open. The club is situated in a fairly pleasant location, down a track of the road.

I would suggest that if an arrangement is made, the club run leader should offer to text club run numbers when departing from the Black Horse.

Typical prices are £1 for a coffee / tea; £2.50 for a bacon sandwich.

http://www.combertongolf.co.uk/

Tewkesbury, Coffee#1

Coffee#1 is an award winning and growing independent chain of coffee shops that are far superior to the usual suspects. Prices are not cheap but the quality and range of coffees and food is excellent. A branch is also located in Pershore.

Coffee#1 is located on the High Street. I would advise that riders take their lightweight cafe locks. If Coffee#11 is full, there are plenty of alternative locations in the town.

http://www.coffee1.co.uk/our-locations/tewkesbury/

The approximate route we chose was: Grafton Flyford, Pershore, Combertons, Bredon, Tewkesbury, Longdon, Upton, Croome, Wadborough, Crowle. I would estimate a Tewkesbury arrival time of 11.20. This destination is only suited for the A Run or 100 in 8.

bobg

cafe

Post by bobg » 13 Jan 2015 18:36

Fisheries, on Ditchford Bank Rd.

Popped in last Sunday, cyclists welcome, CTC use it, but a bit on the small side. Would be good as an intro stop. Did not eat, but a large mug of tea 50P. Also met someone from the Speedwell, only about 6 members left.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 25 Mar 2015 14:44

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 02 Apr 2015 19:27

Edit - not sure whether this is open on Sundays so not necessarily intended for Sunday club runs...

Dear Cyclists,
I have a large cafe just off the A38, popular with early bird fishermen, local businesses, and cyclists, a local club using us for Audax events several times a year. Many cyclists use us for a mid way stop off point, usually having mugs of tea and carbs to keep them going.We cater for all tastes.
Bikes can be bought into the entrance of the property to keep them safe and dry, (on those rare rainy days).
We open 6am 7 days a week.
Our breakfasts range from 'The light bite' £2.30 to a ' Julies' £4.75. Served all day.
If we can help you in any way, or need more information please call on 01905 776406.

We open every bank holiday.

Julie's Cafe
2 Westbank
Berry hill Indtrial estate,
Droitwich, WR9 9AX

Kind regards Julie
Eat cake before you're hungry

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 02 Apr 2015 20:21

Miners' Cafe, The Severn Centre, Highley

Greasy spoon cafe which is open seven days a week. Reasonably cheap food from a wide ranging menu. Service is slow.

It is not the most atmospheric location but the cafe would be useful as a winter destination whilst Rays Farm is closed. Bikes can be taken around the back of the Centre in full view of the cafe.

http://www.severncentre.co.uk/other-services

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 19 Jul 2015 21:12

Riverside Cafe, Tenbury

Not a suggestion but a deselection as a cafe venue for club runs.

We experienced a one hour delay for food, including ordinary tea cakes. No warning of delayed service was given to us when ordering from the counter.
Our delay also gave me ample opportunity to view food preparation in the kitchen. The cafe is very greasy spoon; deep frying sausages and bread and as a consequence it was quite stomach churning. Fortunately I opted for beans-on-toast but it was a single slice of the smallest imaginable piece of bread.

There is a brand new cafe at the other end of the High Street which may be worth investigating.

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 30 Aug 2015 15:11

The B run when to Kineton today to http://www.the-coffee-stop.co.uk/
good service cheap say's it all.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 29 Oct 2015 18:07

We went to the Village Shop in Bishampton this morning they've opened a cafe with a Cyclists Pit Stop theme. Open Sundays also. Ideal for winter rides would struggle if A B and C arrived together.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 30 Oct 2015 08:03

Bishampton have been in touch. They're doing this to raise funds for their church. The church doesn't have a service every Sunday and when it does they're at 09:30 so they'd probably be able to accommodate a club run. They could also look after mid-week rides.

They need to know we're coming in advance with approx numbers....

Welcome to All Riders - Bishampton Bites on Bikes

We now have a brand new toilet block and suitable comfortable facilities to offer you refreshments when on your club cycle rides. We can be found in the rural village of Bishampton, WR10 2NJ, between Droitwich and Pershore, not farm from Evesham.

Please email to book dates and numbers of places or to ask any questions: deliatheflyfords@aol.com. We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Prices Per Person
Morning Coffee and Cake £2
Afternoon Tea and Cake £2
Cream Tea £4

Lunch Option A £4.50
Drink [Tea, Coffee or Bottle of Water]
Round of Sandwiches [range provided]
Crisps
Cake
Fruit

Lunch Option B £4.50
Bowl of Soup and Piece of Bread
Cake
Fruit

Lunch Option C £5.50
Bowl of Soup
Round of Sandwiches [range provided]
Cake
Fruit

Philip Whiteman

CHURCHFIELDS BARN CAFE. SALWARPE

Post by Philip Whiteman » 14 Nov 2015 19:40

CHURCHFIELDS BARN CAFE. SALWARPE

commended!

Lisa was waxing lyrical about this cafe and its suitability for cycle groups - she was right! Since opening in July, it has already won a number of prestigious awards.

Large sized interior that is tastefully decorated and bomb-proof. Cycle racks are provided outside. The cafe has a huge capacity with seating upstairs and downstairs inside, plus plenty of outdoor tables. Keith Adcock would also appreciate the ride-on tractors.

As well as ice-cream, they have a good range of food which is decently priced and of excellent quality. No beans-on-toast but they do provide American style breakfasts of muffins with maple syrup and bacon, plus the more standard range of rolls and light lunches, etc. Good cake and coffee.

This would make an ideal venue for C runs or shorter winter rides. I will probably use it for the Dodford Christmas Club Run as the pre-pub cafe stop.

http://www.churchfields-farm.co.uk/chur ... arn-caf--/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Churchfi ... 372?ref=hl

Jens

Re: New cafe suggestions

Post by Jens » 03 Feb 2016 08:33

George wrote:
Philip Whiteman wrote:New Cafe for Intro Club Rides?

http://www.thestablesfarmshop.co.uk/
That web site is no longer live. Has the café closed?
Unfortunately this has now closed, following Redditch Council declining planning permission for the Business to expand / grow. The owners said that the business was not viable in its current guise..

Sad day, as a very good stop off.. :-(

Jens

Post by Jens » 03 Feb 2016 08:35

The Old Village Store in Wolverley, Kidderminster DY11 5XB, is worth a visit.. http://www.theoldvillagestore.co.uk/

Nice cakes and very friendly, open all year..

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 13 Mar 2016 19:15

This cafe might make a change for a Introductory ride maybe, Tardebigge Court Cafe. Just up the road a few yard from the Tardebigge pub

Details are HERE

And HERE
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

born again cyclist

Post by born again cyclist » 13 Apr 2016 20:13

CakeStop wrote:
Philip Whiteman wrote:New Cafe for Intro Club Rides?

http://www.thestablesfarmshop.co.uk/
Just happened to pass that way this morning. They passed the cake test -decent selection of homemade cakes and quality coffee. Breakfast fare was limited to bacon sarnies, toast, eggs on toast and toasted teacakes but there was homemade soup, sandwiches & paninis. Prices above average but probably not extortionate given quality. OK for a smallish group inside (10-12 would be fine), nice outdoor picnic area for the summer.
UPDATE.
my son went there in March and it has CLOSED Down.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 15 Jul 2016 15:12

BRINGSTY CAFE AND TEA ROOM

http://bringsty-cafe.webs.com/

A decent cafe located between Knightwick and Bromyard. Seating is limited to around 24 but is supplemented by outdoor tables, so probably better as a summer time venue. The staff were cheerful and the quality of food was good. A diverse menu including all the cyclists' favourites.

Typical cost; I had home made salmon and asparagus quiche with side salad, orange and courgette cake and a large latte for £9.10. So decently priced.

If visiting with a group then please oblige them with advanced warning. 07399 463015. Open 8.30-4 Mon-Fri; 10-4 Sat-Sun.

If visiting I would suggest arriving at the cafe by riding from Bromyard Downs and leaving towards Knightwick to avoid the torteous slog uphill along the busy main road. A diversion homeward bound onto the lane passing through Whitbourne upto Clifton On Teme is well worth the effort.

AlanW

Lighthorne Pavilion Café

Post by AlanW » 05 Sep 2016 07:31

Chesterton Road, Warwick CV35 0AB

HERE

As you can see its situated roughly mid point between Wellsbourne and Bishops Itchington. I literally stumbled on this café on Sunday and I don't know how it has been open but it all looks pretty new to me and would make an ideal club run venue.

There is sitting inside and out and its not expensive either.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 25 Sep 2016 17:47

Coffee and More in Bakers Arcade off the High St in Pershore. There's good bike parking right outside in a yard of a minor road and the coffee/tea sandwiches and scrambled eggs and cakes were excellent and good pleasant service. We landed on them with c15 riders on a C run today. Be good to phone ahead for planned group visits 0752 1399548

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 25 Sep 2016 18:50

Dave Cox wrote:Coffee and More in Bakers Arcade off the High St in Pershore. There's good bike parking right outside in a yard of a minor road and the coffee/tea sandwiches and scrambled eggs and cakes were excellent and good pleasant service. We landed on them with c15 riders on a C run today. Be good to phone ahead for planned group visits 0752 1399548
It looks like a good find :) Tripadvisor reviews are positive too... https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... gland.html

George

Post by George » 11 Dec 2016 16:01

Back in my early days with the club, Flyford Flavel was a regular club run destination. There used to be a transport caf attached to what was then the petrol station on the main road (now a used car dealership). But that must have closed fifteen or twenty years ago.

Today, however, I rode through FF and noticed that a new tea room had opened in what used to be the post office, in the village proper, up near the Boot. It was open when I passed, so it looks like a viable venue for Sunday rides. I will try to call in some time in the near future to see whether it would be a suitable destination for the C run that I'm leading next month.

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 11 Dec 2016 21:18

Interesting George, and I remember the FF cafe well. Just my sort of distance as well.

George

Post by George » 15 Jan 2017 19:27

Further to above:

Auntie Rita's Tearooms, Flyford Flavel
Tel.: 01386 462536
- Location map (corner of Radford Road and Church Lane)

Seats around 24 inside, additional tables outside in summer. Weekend breakfasts (served until 11:30) are popular, so can be full in fine weather. Groups of more than about six should definitely call ahead.

Excellent food at extremely reasonable prices and very friendly service.

Jens

Post by Jens » 20 Feb 2017 09:56

George wrote:Further to above:

Seats around 24 inside, additional tables outside in summer. Weekend breakfasts (served until 11:30) are popular, so can be full in fine weather. Groups of more than about six should definitely call ahead.

Went there on Sunday.. Just as we got there a group of 6 were leaving, and just as we was about the leave Wyre Forest turned up.. (Apologised for not calling ahead, but wasn't a problem) Room for bikes outside, and seating for around 25 ish inside.. Cakes were spot on, 6 different ones, including two different flapjacks.. Lady who was serving was very polite and had no issues or groans..

Plenty of cakes on offer, as well as breakfast to 11.30.. After that lunch is served the omelette is supposed to be a good option..

Anything more than 6 do phone a head or let them know in advance that you are planning a visit, as it is popular with cyclists.. :)

location is just past the Boot pub, and is where the old post office used to be..

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 26 Feb 2017 13:07

George wrote:Further to above:

++1

SUPERB! Excellent and unbelievably good cake. The owners are enthusiastic about cyclists. It is probably not suited to very large groups but smaller groups would be fine.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 26 Feb 2017 13:15

We stopped at Hampton Farm Shop on the B4084 just coming into Evesham from the west. Brand new shop on edge of the new estate. Very welcoming, free bananas, keen to attract cyclists. No too many tables so best for small groups. Breakfasts and cakes etc. Not a substitute for Raphaels but useful meanwhile. 01386 41540 with ringing ahead for a club run.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 05 Mar 2017 19:56

Flyford Grafton Cyclists and Walkers Community Cafe. Sat and Sun only 10-1.00. Very welcoming and good capacity. Would open in week if booked or for special occasions. Cake, tea cakes, sausage or bacon baps. Keen to build up relationships with local clubs.www.threeparisheshall.co.uk

Contact is Tony Hughes 01905 391483

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 08 Mar 2017 17:56

Having ridden my route to Brewood in Staffordshire this afternoon I can confirm the Cafe in Brewood called Lazy Days is excellent.

Prices are moderate and they do a good selection of hot and cold food aswell as nice cakes.

Opening hours are Mon-Sat 9am till 4pm, Sunday 10am till 3pm

Advanced bookings are advised as they get very busy at the weekend with cyclists.

Tel. 01902 850038

25 Stafford Street, Brewood, ST19 9DX

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 12 Mar 2017 15:07

Ardens Kenilworth 17 Talisman Square CV8 1JB www.ardenskenilworth.co.uk 01926512345 cakes, panini, beans on toast and bacon sandwiches good coffee

Best bit is a spacious upstairs room with views of bikes parked on car park railings so can accommodate large groups. Thanks to Mike Preece for researching it. Talisman Square is off the High St behind where Chatz Cafe used to be!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 06 Nov 2017 10:12

DECADES TEA ROOM
MICKLETON, GLOUC.

New cafe located to south of Mickleton on the road to Broadway. It is adorned by a sign, 'cyclists welcome'.

https://www.facebook.com/Decades-Tearoo ... 161326852/

UPDATE. 20.11.17
WorcsPhil wrote:
19 Nov 2017 15:14
We tried a new cafe in Mickleton (Decades), but although the cafe was nice, the food and drink pretty good, they struggled to cope with 11 cyclists, and their ‘make one meal at a time’ approach meant a wait of an hour...worth re-trying if there’s 6 or fewer riders.

Si_Walker

Re: New cafe suggestions - Cafe Network

Post by Si_Walker » 29 Nov 2017 13:56

Lots of cafes here, courtesy of the Cafe Network, nationwide as well!
https://goo.gl/pLZXg2
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

George

Post by George » 30 Nov 2017 12:27

Now that's what I call a resource!

CakeStop

Clive's Fruit Farm (Upton upon Severn)

Post by CakeStop » 05 Dec 2017 21:12

Hello, it’s Heather from The Cafe at Clives Fruit Farm In Upton upon Severn at the foot of the Malvern Hills!

I’m writing to remind you that we’re open all year round and to tell you that I have some super offers for tired cyclists in need of refreshment and replenishment

We seem to be on many cycle routes so it seems fair to offer you an incentive to pop in as you’re passing

Join us for a Cracking Breakfast Bap - 3 items, take your pick from bacon, sausage, eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes and we will top up your filter coffee as many times as you want for just a fiver, in fact for an extra £1 we’ll throw in a couple of crispy hash browns!

There’s cake, so much cake, cake everywhere, so if you like cake, you will love it here, Cherry Flapjack a speciality!

If you time it right you might just catch a tray of freshly baked, delicious Sausage Rolls or my secret recipe pasty’s emerging from our oven!

We’re happy to top up your water bottles - water only, the brandy’s mine!

Enjoy the log fire in our cosy cafe

To Help us serve you quickly, a quick call or text to 07973 552718 will ensure we’ have the kettle on!

Looking forward to seeing you

Heather x

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 06 Dec 2017 09:37

Clives are great but I am not convinced that they would easily handle groups as service can be quite slow.

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 31 Mar 2018 17:11

Popped in to the Den cafe Thursday, excellent food and service.

The Den Cafe Bar, Mill Farm, Stanford Bridge WR6 6SP

Prices are moderate but not cheap
, they do a good selection of hot and cold food aswell as nice cakes.

Opening hours are Mon-Sat 9am till 4pm, Sunday 10am till 2pm

They seem very cyclist friendly, I would suggest phoning a head if there is a large group.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Apr 2018 08:53

BEWDLEY STATION

The high class restaurant (aka dodgy shack) has been condemned as unsafe. Instead the railway are now using a railway carriage as a interim measure. This means that use by cycling groups will become more problematic due to limited capacity and at seat service.

It will probably be better to avoid this venue on club runs for the near future.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 08 Apr 2018 19:13

Thanks for the heads up Phil. Pity I use this regularly but last time went to Riverside because of some train and cameras festival.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 Apr 2018 07:50

This note was posted on Facebook by Lezley Moran:

If you are going to Auntea Ritas at Flyford Flavell note that they now only allow 10 cyclists on the premises at any one time. Today they were turning cyclists away including a lone female cyclist.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 22 Apr 2018 17:07

Ilmington Community Shop and Cafe http://www.ilmingtonshop.co.uk/

Excellent sizeable cafe with fantastic coffee, cakes and breakfast items. Highly recommended. Despite its size, it is popular and I would reccommend an 8:15 start to arrive before other cycling clubs.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 22 Apr 2018 18:05

Philip Whiteman wrote:
22 Apr 2018 17:07
Ilmington Community Shop and Cafe http://www.ilmingtonshop.co.uk/

Excellent sizeable cafe with fantastic coffee, cakes and breakfast items. Highly recommended. Despite its size, it is popular and I would reccommend an 8:15 start to arrive before other cycling clubs.
I was here yesterday actually, great venue and reasonably priced. But it is imperative that we ring ahead first because the cafe is run by volunteers so they would need to draft extra staff in.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 22 Apr 2018 19:22

EVESHAM COFFEE #1

Reported via Lisa.

Coffee #1 don't need explaining as they are used by the club at various locations. They now have a large cafe in Evesham on the retail estate to the north of the town https://www.coffee1.co.uk/locations/evesham/

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 27 Sep 2018 09:37

CLIVES OF CROPTHORNE

I have heard that Clives Fruit Farm and Cafe of Upton have opened another cafe in Cropthorne. I have yet to test out their new cafe but it looks like a great venue for club runs, as it is a similar distance to Evesham. They always welcomed cycling groups at their Upton venue.

EDIT:

Club run visited Clives of Cropthorne on 25 Nov 18. It was a great cafe, quite smart, slightly expensive but good quality food. It is easy to miss on the main road due to poor signposting. Club run riders expressed a willingness to return.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... __tn__=K-R

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 27 Sep 2018 13:13

Mrs Bees Potting Shed

Based within Russell's Garden Centre, 1-3 Mill Hill, Baginton, Coventry CV8 3AG

Another café that I stumbled upon last Saturday, quite a large outside seating area, inside not so big. So if the weather is a bit iffy, would certainly suggest ringing ahead. The Victoria sponge cake is truly something else, its huge!!!

Reasonable pricing with happy smiling staff, what more could you ask for?

George

Post by George » 12 Nov 2018 11:40

I understand that, when visiting Stourport, the club no longer uses the café by the canal lock on York Street, but another one somewhere down by the river. However, I've failed to spot this place by StreetViewing the area that was described to me. Can anyone give me a name and/or precise location?

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 12 Nov 2018 12:05

It's the Windlass. Go straight on instead of crossing the canal and you'll find it beside the canal basin

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 12 Nov 2018 12:31

The Windlass Café is pretty good George (Severn Side)

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 29 Nov 2018 12:29

CROWLE COMMUNITY SHOP AND CAFE

This has only just opened and is comparable to Feckenham Community Shop.

A great little cafe and shop suitable for individuals or small groups passing by. There are around 16 seats in door with extra outdoors during the summer.

Good coffee and cakes plus savouries.

It is located next to the Village Hall.

https://www.facebook.com/CrowleShop/

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 29 Nov 2018 15:33

Also in Crowle there is the Springridge Garden Centre Cafe on Old Turnpike Rd just before the turn into the village

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 17 Dec 2018 23:20

I'm not sure if the club has ever used the Orangemabel café in Stratford (as opposed to the Alcester one), but in case anyone was thinking of using it, it's now a cat café: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats- ... n-15555740.

CakeStop

Archies Attic (Enville)

Post by CakeStop » 05 Jan 2019 21:37

Please forgive my direct approach; I wanted to introduce Archies Attic to you as a potential stop-off or jump off point for the clubs rides.

We are a coffee shop located in Enville on the A458 Stourbridge to Bridgnorth road.

We are cyclist friendly (counting a keen cyclist amongst our business partners ) and can offer secure off road ‘parking’ for cycles and eat in or take out refreshments

We are open both weekdays Tuesday to Friday Saturdays and Sundays 10.30 - 4.00

I hope you don’t mind the introduction and would consider us a potential destination for one of the clubs rides

Thank you

Gill

Archies Attic
01384 386567

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 17 Mar 2019 16:46

The A Run visited Nans cafe in Shifnal today.

Overall the food was good, reasonably cheap and quick to come.

I would however suggest if anyone intends on taking a club ride to the cafe in future then ring ahead.

10 of us turned up this morning which isn’t out the ordinary, however we were met with a bit of a frosty reception from the lady behind the counter who seemed a bit put out.

Maybe this was a one off and we caught her on a bad day but to my mind it was easy money and I would have hoped for a bit better customer service than we were given.