G-Run

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

StuartWhite

G-Run

Post by StuartWhite » 10 Dec 2018 17:53

Good Day All,

The winter is setting in and the Cyclo-cross races are coming to an end for the season, so we need a solution.

The G-Run.

A gravel run designed to get more use out of your swanky/battered gravel, cyclo-x, off-road bikes that will follow a similar format to our existing club runs. The sharp among you will have noticed that this is essentially mild mountain biking re-branded, but that's all gravel bikes are right?
These runs will likely be shorter in distance than the usual, road-based club runs, but likely still take the majority of your morning to complete with a cafe stop in the middle to help keep weekly cake consumption honest.

At this stage, I'd say it's unlikely this will be a weekly affair, but I guess popularity will dictate on that front. I've got a few routes in mind (as I'm sure a number of folks do), so if I can get some interest mustered up on here I'll look to put one on over Christmas/early January.

What says you?

Stu
Cheers,

Stu

It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Strava - http://www.strava.com/athletes/white_stuart
Facebook - Barry Fight - www.facebook.com/barry.fight
Email - Stulottie@gmail.com
Text/Whatsapp - 07929 612359

petemarshall

Re: G-Run

Post by petemarshall » 10 Dec 2018 19:33

If they have to start at the Black Horse no from me.
If they could start elsewhere I have a few decent circuits starting in Stourbridge 😊

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 10 Dec 2018 22:28

Very keen for this!

toby

Post by toby » 11 Dec 2018 10:15

If these are still going in the spring, I will definitely be up for this. I have to factor in a more onerous capital expenditure approval workflow.

Alberto Recchioni

Post by Alberto Recchioni » 11 Dec 2018 10:17

Interested as well.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 11 Dec 2018 10:21

The compacted forestry tracks in the Wyre Forest are good providing you avoid the depths of winter when it us usually a quagmire and avoid the off-piste MTB routes.

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 11 Dec 2018 11:31

Up for this..100%

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 11 Dec 2018 11:52

petemarshall wrote:
10 Dec 2018 19:33
If they have to start at the Black Horse no from me.
If they could start elsewhere I have a few decent circuits starting in Stourbridge 😊
Pete, if you fancy sharing one or two of your routes, I'll edit a pick-up/drop-off at Black Horse that then makes it's way over to you.
Cheers,

Stu

It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Strava - http://www.strava.com/athletes/white_stuart
Facebook - Barry Fight - www.facebook.com/barry.fight
Email - Stulottie@gmail.com
Text/Whatsapp - 07929 612359

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 11 Dec 2018 12:30

Great. I will send a Strava bit, although bits can be added removed dependent on numbers weather etc.
Starting point in Stourbridge for off road routes best at the canal basin. Lots of parking.
The Bonded Warehouse
2 Canal St, Stourbridge DY8 4LU
01384 395216
https://goo.gl/maps/s6QT3tynseG2

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 11 Dec 2018 13:03

Definitely, definitely up for this.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 11 Dec 2018 14:06

Here's a decent and scenic ride for a bad weather day
https://www.strava.com/routes/16420173
I say bad weather day as on a Sunday parts can get busy with walkers if its nice so better done in poor weather.
My route starts in Stourbridge and drivers can park at the canal. but from Birmingham best riding on the Wolverhampton canal to the North end of the Netherton Tunnel and starting from there. Good lights are required.
Presently chunks of the towpath are "closed" with no marked diversions by the CRT for "upgrading". Doesn't matter as it just encourages a bit of portage and clambering over fences with bike on back in proper CX style.
The diversion onto the Staffs Railway path takes you too the cafe in Womborne. Great cakes and coffee, have to check if it opens on a Sunday though.

Here's a short (lots of bits can be added if a longer ride is desired) from the canalbasin in Stourbridge, through the Million and over Kinver Edge to the cafe, back through the Fairy Glen. Senic, and a little technical in places on a CX bike (easy on a MTB), requiring some portage up to the edge at its a steep path to the high point rather than a bridleway, bridleways and towpaths elsewhere. Very muddy.
https://www.strava.com/routes/16420370