Crit Race Practice...Sundays...

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

Jamie B

Crit Race Practice...Sundays...

Post by Jamie B » 20 Jan 2019 21:55

Hi All,

following on from our woolly Mammal race 1 experience, i think its clear we need some practice.

Just an idea, is anyone interested in doing a "shorter" but "Crit race paced" ride on a sunday? i know its the day after racing, but it could be something beneficial to the club going into the summer (happy to defer to more experienced racers).

I have no idea of a route but open to suggestions, but it would need to be somewhere where we could practice accelerating out of tight corners. we could always make the pilgrimage out to stourport and use the track..

I know i need the practice...
The one riding the Orange and Black Giant.....

Philip Whiteman

Re: Crit Race Practice...Sundays...

Post by Philip Whiteman » 21 Jan 2019 08:42

How about the former Sainsbury's car park in Selly Oak? There are some large concrete blocks at the entrance way but otherwise access should be easy.

Jamie B

Post by Jamie B » 21 Jan 2019 21:19

good shout, i've never been there but may take a gander down there at some point over the weekend to at least check on debris... probably nothing a broom couldn't fix.

Tim

Post by Tim » 23 Jan 2019 19:12

You doing the next three? Don't think I'll be doing this Sat but doing the last two. I wouldn't be too harsh on yourself after last Sat, you weren't that far off pace and some good cat 3s in there. Next few will be interesting.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

Jamie B

Post by Jamie B » 23 Jan 2019 20:50

Yea i'm signed up to all of them, going in with the mentality of racing myself fit.

Plus, (begin the excuses) this is the first crit track i've been on where you have to touch the brakes! a strange sensation but something to work on!

That kid who shot off at the start (and won) literally decimated the whole pack - i was not warmed up enough for that kind of start, you live and learn!

Tim

Post by Tim » 24 Jan 2019 15:45

He'll do same again no doubt on Sat! Heard there's a few very strong juniors signed up this week that didn't race last week so I wish you luck!!

Regarding practice, you been to Tudor Grange in Solihull? Early mornings are good there if not icy, don't risk it there if under 4c, just need to watch out for dog walkers and rabbits! Free most of weekend too. Although doesn't have the right corners like Stourport.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

Tim

Post by Tim » 27 Jan 2019 17:14

Yesterday's results indicate a tough race? Top three in the 3/4 had raced in the e/1/2/3 beforehand???!!!

Jamie B

Post by Jamie B » 31 Jan 2019 14:08

I wasn't really in it to be honest.

I got stuck at the back when lining up for the race. (idiot)

So by the time i had worked my way up to about 15th i had half a lap gap between me and the chasing pack... i decided to give chase for about 25 minutes, i dropped the guys on my wheel but never got close enough to pack in front - i started dying a slow death for the last 10 minutes, the guys behind caught up with a few laps to go and went flying past.

It was worth the effort (and all time record Heart Rate over 30 minutes) and as there are no points outside of 10th, doesn't really matter whether i finish 11th or 50th.

on the plus side, exiting from the corners was better, nearly accelerated myself off into the fence at hairpin down by the hockey pitch dropping the guys behind me.

Lesson of the day - don't start at the back.

Tim

Post by Tim » 31 Jan 2019 18:42

Sounds great fun! Easier said than done sometimes not to start at the back as everyone is thinking same! See you Saturday, hopefully it will be on. Always gone ahead previously although think one year they just used half the track as ice at far end!

Jamie B

Post by Jamie B » 04 Feb 2019 08:37

Tim wrote:
31 Jan 2019 18:42
Sounds great fun! Easier said than done sometimes not to start at the back as everyone is thinking same! See you Saturday, hopefully it will be on. Always gone ahead previously although think one year they just used half the track as ice at far end!
Hello mate! how did you get on?

I got caught up in a safeguarding issue at another site so couldn't get across! waste of £17!

Tim

Post by Tim » 04 Feb 2019 14:02

Same as first, not on the pace. Dropped at ten mins when there was a big attack that split the field in three. Brutal wind although no excuse as didn't slow the rest down! Was aiming to peak this week though so got 5 days to make that happen!