Club Runs - 3rd February

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club Runs - 3rd February

Post by WorcsPhil » 28 Jan 2019 10:06

30 riders out in the wind, and 26 comments on the thread, almost one comment for each rider. Yes, it was windy, very windy, so good to see so many people out battling in the aero position when heading north.... and we have our very first six-pointer. By leading on both days, Carolyn climbs the club run table significantly, many more of them and Andy's trophy will be leaving Northfield.

Good to see Beacon's first ever G-run into the mud of Worcestershire this week...thanks to Stuart White for organising. We also had a discussion on the A-run as to how far away we were from accepting indoor rides as a club run. It was fair to say, that's it's still an awful long way away. I know I said you can organise anything as a club run, but the vote of 0-8 to include turbo and zwift rides in this suggests club runs remain as outdoor, social rides only till further notice...sorry, Alan.

So this week's rides are:

A: Beacon Burst 40miler - Neil Orchard - SUBJECT TO ICE
B: Worcester Country Park - Phil Gameson - SUBJECT TO ICE.
C: Volunteer required
Intro ride: NO INTRO RIDE THIS MONTH
Women's ride on SATURDAY 2nd Feb. Watch this thread to see if it’s happening this week

AlanW

Re: Club Runs - 3rd February

Post by AlanW » 28 Jan 2019 11:03

WorcsPhil wrote:
28 Jan 2019 10:06
We also had a discussion on the A-run as to how far away we were from accepting indoor rides as a club run. It was fair to say, that's it's still an awful long way away. I know I said you can organise anything as a club run, but the vote of 0-8 to include turbo and zwift rides in this suggests club runs remain as outdoor, social rides only till further notice...sorry, Alan.
Boo hoo....... :lol:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

keith

Post by keith » 28 Jan 2019 13:25

AlanW wrote:
28 Jan 2019 11:03
WorcsPhil wrote:
28 Jan 2019 10:06
We also had a discussion on the A-run as to how far away we were from accepting indoor rides as a club run. It was fair to say, that's it's still an awful long way away. I know I said you can organise anything as a club run, but the vote of 0-8 to include turbo and zwift rides in this suggests club runs remain as outdoor, social rides only till further notice...sorry, Alan.
Boo hoo....... :lol:
I moved a ton and a half of gravel from my drive to the back garden on Sunday . Don't s'pose that counts either :cry:

carolyn

Post by carolyn » 28 Jan 2019 18:06

🚴‍♀️ I'm away for the next 2 weeks on holiday. Currently trying persuade someone to lead the saturday ride but it looks likely to be cancelled this week. I will continue to apply the thumb screws 🚴‍♀️

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 28 Jan 2019 22:46

Weather is looking doubtful there may still be snow lying about this weekend

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 31 Jan 2019 10:20

Hi folks - I'm going to cancel my Intro Ride on Sunday. The forecast is very cold and there could still be ice about from Friday. I don't think this is ideal for an Intro Ride. Happy to lead one on 3rd March if weather is tolerable

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 01 Feb 2019 18:31

I am willing to lead a B run on Sunday.
It is certain to be frosty at 9:15 on Sunday, but they are not forecasting any snow (or other form of precipitation) for Saturday or Sunday so should be reasonably safe.
If I consider it to be too slippy on Sunday morning then I will cancel the ride, and will post no later than 8am on Sunday to say whether I will be going ahead or not.

I will do a route of no more than 50 miles or so, ideally on supposedly salted roads. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, otherwise it might be Worcester Country Park, but a different route to 2 weeks ago.

I'll include the destination and possibly route sometime on Saturday.
Phil Gameson

neilo

Post by neilo » 02 Feb 2019 16:44

I'll lead an A run 'burst' depending on the weather, a few main roads to start but should still be quiet, 40ish miles and back before 12.
I'll make a final decision by 8.15 so watch this space!

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 02 Feb 2019 17:09

PhilG wrote:
01 Feb 2019 18:31
If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, otherwise it might be Worcester Country Park, but a different route to 2 weeks ago.

I'll include the destination and possibly route sometime on Saturday.
I was going to suggest Worcester garden centre as a bit of variation. A38 not the most exciting route, though.

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 02 Feb 2019 17:51

I will stick with Worcester Country Park as I don't have a route for Worcester Garden Centre.
Looks like it will be dry overnight so hopefully should be OK for the morning despite being below zero at 9am.

The route is:

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/18077371

I'll post by 8am tomorrow to confirm that I will be leading (or otherwise).
Phil Gameson

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 03 Feb 2019 07:32

I can confirm that I will be leading today.
The BBC, forecast is for -1 at 9, up to 5 centigrade by 1pm, so getting the layers right may be a challenge! [Another forecast says -3 to +3.]
Phil Gameson

neilo

Post by neilo » 03 Feb 2019 08:10

I'll copy Phil's decision then, see you at 9.15.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 03 Feb 2019 08:16

If you are heading Redditch way, please be warned it's -4 and a proper hard frost!
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

neilo

Post by neilo » 03 Feb 2019 11:56

Just the 3 of us braving the cold!
Incident free and only a couple of patches of severe ice,
Riders were-
Phil Elwell
Neil Orchard
Steve Tudor
Cheers fellas.

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 03 Feb 2019 17:41

The B ride was incident free too.
The route was a fairly safe one, involving long stretches of quiet A ad B roads (at least quiet today).
Clare commented that the Cafe at Worcester Country Park was never particularly warm, but today I reckon it was about right - warm enough to thaw out my feet, but not so warm that going back outside was unpleasant. I think everyone had painful or numb feet by the cafe, but it was much better on the way back.

Due to a technical misadventure I don't appear to have the list taken at the cafe, but despite my appalling memory for names I think those riding were:
Phil Gameson (leader)
Clare Fudge
Cedric Gioan
Jon Sadler
Brett Heshaw
Andy McGrath

Thanks for the company - I hope the pace was about right.
Phil Gameson