Club Runs - 17th March

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club Runs - 17th March

Post by WorcsPhil » 11 Mar 2019 14:15

This coming Sunday is St Patricks Day...so if you have any Irish heritage, like a pint of Guinness or refuse to pander to Irish stereotypes then why not don your green jersey and lead a club ride to a local café...What could be more celtic than some cycling following by a heated debate on the necessity of the backstop. Put yourself up to the vote and let Parliament decide.

...and what a weekend that was, a few of us ventured up into the Peak District for an audax that will live long in the memory...never have we ridden through such conditions, and this coming just a fortnight after we were all baking in 18c sunshine in full summer kit. The club runs were also ridden in high winds of course which no doubt made them a complete slog...Thanks to Paul, Gary and Stuart for leading on Sunday and Carolyn on Saturday.

This week's rides will fill up below and I still hanker for the days when all rides had leaders and destinations sorted by 15:11 on Thursday afternoon...let's get back to those days. This week's rides are:

A: Shifnal - Nick Shenton
B: Volunteer required
C: Wyndley Garden Centre, Knowle - Dave Cox
Women's ride on Saturday at 08:30 - Details below and on Facebook.

AlanW

Re: Club Runs - 17th March

Post by AlanW » 12 Mar 2019 06:53

Plus, a track session at Newport Saturday 6pm to 9pm and I'm still looking for people for the beginner/novice session.
Time to try something new and different maybe?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 14 Mar 2019 13:18

I'll take the A Run this Sunday.

Lets make another attempt at going to Shifnal. Hopefully it won't be 40-50mph gusting winds this time :roll:

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 15 Mar 2019 08:52

I'll lead a fairly gentle C Run. My idea is to go to Wyndley Garden Centre in Knowle for an early stop via Rea Valley a bit of canal and then follow the Brum/Solihull green belt line. Bring cafe locks please. Then longer loop via Packwood, Lowsonford, Claverdon, Aston Cantlow, Ullenhall home. But there is an option for anyone wanting a shorter ride to make their own way back via Hockley Heath and Earlswood. Full ride still less than 50 miles.
Last edited by Dave Cox on 16 Mar 2019 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

carolyn

Post by carolyn » 15 Mar 2019 10:50

There will be no Saturday ride this week. I'm off playing on the track so no leaders available

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 17 Mar 2019 14:59

Today's B riders went to Charlecote Garden Centre, it was a lovely ride out in the sunshine and with a tail wind, but completely the opposite on the return leg. A strong headwind was with us throughout and a fierce hailstorm was encountered at Lowsonford which necessitated taking shelter for 10 minutes.

Andy Deere
Claire Fudge
Graham Gamblin
Richard Leaper
Noel O'Dwyer
Alex Rybinski
Si Walker (Leading)
Simon Woodward
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 17 Mar 2019 16:05

C Run to Knowle Wyndley Garden Centre

Finbarr Costigan
Dave Cox (leading)
Neil Evanson
Cedric Gioan
Matthew Hale
Toby Hale
Dave Little (sweeping)
Geoff Mann
Mark McConiley
David Phelps
Hamaad Raja
Simon Turner

And we met Chris Ashford's mum at the cafe!

Sun rain hail on repeat always windy !!

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 17 Mar 2019 16:29

Thanks for stepping in and leading an exceedingly pleasant B ride Si. Quote of the day: "It really feels like Spring" - about half an hour before we found ourselves huddling like penguins against the hail. :roll:
Graham

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 17 Mar 2019 16:57

This was my 3rd attempt at getting an A Run to Nans cafe in Shifnal.

We did eventually make it today but had to battle wind, rain and hail to get there.

Vince Tenant and a flat on the outward journey and our glorious club run leader Phil Whiteman suffered the same fate on the return leg.

The cafe is a new venue, the food was good, reasonably cheap and served quickly. My only criticism was the distinct lack of customer service as we were given a rather frosty reception from the lady serving behind the counter. A little ungratefu given she had 10 willing and paying punters in one go.

I’d suggest ringing ahead if thinking of using this cafe in future.

On today’s trial by weather A Run were:

Nick Shenton (Leading)
Vince tenant
Phillip Whiteman
Phil Richards
Neil (Lynch) Orchard
Paul Johnson
Rob wade
Andy Wrightson
Alvin Martin
Jon Sadler

NeilL