VOLUNTEERS NEEDED PLEASE! Janet Kelly memorial 10 mile TT - 15th June

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

JessRJ

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED PLEASE! Janet Kelly memorial 10 mile TT - 15th June

Post by JessRJ » 21 Apr 2019 15:53

BEACON OPEN 10 MILE TT - Janet Kelly memorial TT - 15th June 2019 - CALL FOR HELPERS AND MARSHALS

Hopefully everyone has had a lovely Easter weekend of perfect cycling weather and is full of Easter eggs, BBQ food and the joys of Spring. If this is you, then I have something that that will make you feel even happier…helping at the Beacon’s open 10 mile TT on 15th June :D

It would be great to have as many entrants as possible (there will be a road bike category this year with prizes for fastest male and female on road bikes - rules below), and we also need several marshals on course and helpers at HQ to make sure the event runs smoothly. If you would like to race the event and can persuade a friend or family member to marshal or help at HQ it would be much appreciated :)

The race will be on the K33/10D course (course maps at the entry links below). The HQ will be the same as used for the last couple of years, at the Norton and Lenchwick village hall. First rider will be off at 2.01pm, and approximate times for which marshals are needed are listed below.

- Pusher-offs (start line - 13.45-16.00 ish depending on number of riders) - 2 needed

- Marshals (to be at HQ for quick briefing at 13.15, collect hi-viz vests etc, then be at marshal points for 14.00, until 16.00 ish, depending on number of riders) - 6 needed

- Sign on desk, hand numbers out and sign riders back in at end (12.30-16.30 ish depending on number of riders) - 1 needed

- Car park marshal (12.30-14.30 ish) - 1 needed

Entry for women’s event: https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/17932
Entry for men’s event: https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/17931
Entry for tandem event: https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/17933

If you will be racing on a road bike, please enter either the women’s or men’s event above, and the following rules will apply:

1. No aerobars, clip on aerobars or aero extensions can be used;
2. Hands must be holding the handlebars at all times whilst racing (i.e. not with forearms resting on the handlebars) - marshals will be out on course to check this important safety point!
3. Socks/leg coverings must not extend higher than mid-calf;
4. Wheels may have no more than 90mm depth and must have at least 12 spokes;
5. Helmets must have no visor;
6. Ears must not be covered by the helmet;
(In addition, the use of a Giro Aerohead helmet will not be permitted)

The start line marshal will perform a quick check at the start to confirm whether your setup makes you eligible for road bike prizes.

Please let me know on here, or by email (jrhodesjones@yahoo.co.uk) if you are able to help out on the day :)

Thanks,

Jess
Last edited by JessRJ on 23 May 2019 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

George

Re: Janet Kelly memorial 10 mile TT - 15th June

Post by George » 24 Apr 2019 21:19

Jess, for the last few years I have acted as Sue Kelly's recorder. I'm happy to do the same again, or help in some other way if you prefer.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 25 Apr 2019 22:04

Hi I'll try to keep the day free and help. But I am not prepared to marshall that MacDonalds roundabout again I find it too dangerous and stressful. After the LMTT (which ended up with a hospital admission) I might be better off doing something at HQ

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 27 Apr 2019 09:31

Thank you both! George that would be great if you could be Sue Kelly’s recorder - Andy Terry is signed up for recording the times at HQ so if you are able to send them to him throughout the event that would be great :)

Dave you get first dibs on an HQ job! Would you be ok doing sign on, handing numbers out and making sure riders sign back in?

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 27 Apr 2019 09:35

Six course marshals, two pusher-offs and a car park marshal still needed please :) you will be rewarded with cake and a feeling of immense satisfaction for helping! If you haven’t marshalled before, it’s very simple (in most locations you stand in a high viz vest and point the right direction out). Also a good way to meet other Beacon riders if you are relatively new to the club!

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 27 Apr 2019 18:33

Hi Jess yes I think I could handle that ! Thanks

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 27 Apr 2019 20:30

Hi - I’m doing a relay triathlon the day after, so I certainly won’t be riding this!
I’ll therefore help out with marshalling. :D
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 28 Apr 2019 09:08

Great thanks Helen 🙂🙂

Fenella

Post by Fenella » 06 May 2019 11:51

Hi Jess,
I'm not riding, as I'm doing a 50 the next day, so can help out all day.

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 07 May 2019 08:10

Great thanks Fenella! If you would be able to marshal that would be very helpful :) I’ll assign locations once I have a few more marshals

JessRJ

Re: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED PLEASE! Janet Kelly memorial 10 mile TT - 15th June

Post by JessRJ » 23 May 2019 13:47

BEACON RCC JANET KELLY MEMORIAL 10 MILE TT - 15TH JUNE - VOLUNTEERS NEEDED PLEASE!

Thanks to everyone who has volunteered to help so far - list below of everyone who has volunteered and roles assigned. I still need 5 marshals to be on course to help make the event safe for the riders please:

Start line pusher off / check riders in road bike category fit simple list of criteria - 2 HELPERS NEEDED PLEASE
Harvington crossroads - Fenella Brown
Mini roundabout - Helen Jamieson
Dual carriageway roundabout 1 - David Cole and 1 HELPER NEEDED PLEASE
Dual carriageway roundabout 2 - 2 HELPERS NEEDED PLEASE
Finish line helper / relay times to HQ - George Barker
HQ sign on - David Cox
HQ recorder of times - Andy Terry
Signs put out on course - Mike Kedian

First rider is off at 2.01, I will be at the HQ from 12.30 - if marshals could please be at HQ for 1.30, to collect hi-viz vests (David Cole do you have these?) and then be at your marshal points for just before 2, that would be great.

The course we are using is the same as that used for the last few years - the K33/10D (map here: https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/17931)

Thanks, Jess

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 26 May 2019 12:12

Hi Jess
I have flags and vests and Ann Cole will help marshal with me at Dual carriageway traffic island 1
Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Scratch

Post by Scratch » 01 Jun 2019 19:12

Hi Jess,

I will be available, if there are any jobs or marshalling that you need doing. I also have some signs and marshals flags that need to be returned to their keeper, which I can bring on the day.

John

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 01 Jun 2019 23:58

Hi John - that's great, thank you - are you happy to hold riders up at the start? I just need 2 pusher-offers and that will be everything sorted. You'd also need to do a couple of quick checks for anyone entering the road bike category:

1. No aero bars / clip ons
2. Socks no higher than mid-calf
3. Wheels no deeper than 90mm (I'll make a piece of card 90mm deep that you can hold up if anything looks obviously deep!)
4. No helmet visors, and helmet not covering ears (to stop people using aero helmets and just taking the visor off)

Let me know if that would be ok with you - and if there's anyone else you could share the job with so you're not pushing off every rider!

Jamie B

Post by Jamie B » 10 Jun 2019 10:32

Hi Jess,

I can help out on the 15th as long as you dont mind me storing my bike in HQ whilst the event is going on!

Jamie
The one riding the Orange and Black Giant.....

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 11 Jun 2019 08:34

Hi Jamie - that would be brilliant thank you! I’m short of a marshal on the final dual carriageway roundabout, got one person there (Ken Clegg) but it’s a busy one so could really do with two. What is your email address / phone number? I’ll put you in touch with Ken - if you can be at HQ for 1.30pm latest, then you and Ken leave by 1.45pm to drive to the roundabout :)

Jamie B

Post by Jamie B » 14 Jun 2019 21:40

Hi Jess!

No problem! I sent you a private message with my number on! Not sure if you've managed to see it as of yet! Just want to confirm I'll be there tomorrow! 👍

Jamie
The one riding the Orange and Black Giant.....

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 14 Jun 2019 22:12

Hi Jamie, got it thanks :) Ken Clegg will drive you both down to the roundabout, leaving the HQ at 1.45 :) thanks again for the offer to help, much appreciated :)

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 15 Jun 2019 06:21

Hi Jess, Anne and I have looked at the schedule for today national Tri (leaving house now, 6:20) and if, assuming Anne does her usual and gets in the top 3, the podium awards takes place around 12 or so we will try to get to HQ before the end of then race. I would be happy to help with presentations / announcements if required.
Assuming we don't make it, I hope all goes well.