Club runs - 2nd June

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 2nd June

Post by WorcsPhil » 28 May 2019 09:31

So we now meander into the month of June, the prime month for cycling given nice weather and long days...and as a club we're after people who can give a few moments to help out and make us the most varied club in the area. It is a struggle to get people to help out 'out of hours' as it were, and we tend to rely on the same people every time, so if you're a Beacon member, why not give a little back....Here's where you can help.

- Jess is organising our Open 10mile Time Trial this year on Saturday 15th June, one of our landmark events...so if you're not intending to ride Nick Shenton's 'Chase the Cat' 300kms club run that same day, then please help out for a couple of hours on the Saturday afternoon. See Jess' post on the message board for what is required.

- Also, Adrian R has posted about getting someone along to the Rowheath AGM on Wednesday 5th June in the evening. Be good if someone can go along to this to see their plans and to feedback both what we want and what they intend to do going forward.

- Club run leaders...we've started to get in a rut of organising rides on the day for virtually everything except the A-ride, which continues to have several volunteers to lead taking it in turns...be good if we can get this culture going for the C-ride in particular...why not start the ball rolling.

Onto club runs, the Bank Holiday weekend passed with well over 20 riders out on club runs, and unlucky for the few that had mechanicals and had to end their ride early. Thanks to the leaders for taking the rides to the various cafes around the shires. There were lots of other things going on of course, races around Abergavenny, and five of us rode our first 600kms audax over the weekend over most of the roads in mid-Wales...and thanks to my co-audaxers for the company, humour and determination to ride for two days...and excellent to see Simon Woodward and his amazingly laden-down bike heading south towards Devon as we were nearly finishing...

This weeks' rides are as follows:

A: Ludlow - Nick Shenton (meet at 08:00 for 08:15 start)
B: Volunteer required
C: Wootton Wawen - Simon White

Intro Ride: Volunteer and support rider required

Details of Saturday's women's ride will be posted here and on Facebook

Nicks_77

Re: Club runs - 2nd June

Post by Nicks_77 » 29 May 2019 19:49

Sunday’s A Run will start at 8:15 with a visit to Ludlow, approx 80 miles BH to BH.

This will be a very hilly route taking in Clee Hill on the return journey.

A great way to test your climbing legs if you’re doing my 300 in a few weeks time.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 29 May 2019 19:53

Bugger. Ludlow would make a great day out. Unfortunately I am helping out on the Windsor Chester Windsor audax that day.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 31 May 2019 11:18

Please can we have a B and C ride leader volunteering, please, as well as an Intro leader if you're pushed for time. I know there are a couple of new people coming along, so be good that we've got rides planned in advance. Weather is looking good, so please put yourself forward!

simplysimon

Post by simplysimon » 31 May 2019 21:22

I'm happy to take a 50mile not-A following familiar roads towards Lowsonford with a stop at Wootton Wawen. 0900 for 0915 as usual.

I don't mind whether it's a B or C pace, just be happy for steady company.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 01 Jun 2019 09:14

Thanks, Simon, let’s register this as the official C-run as I know there are newcomers looking to ride the C this week.

Any B-riders willing to lead this week?

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 01 Jun 2019 10:38

Note for ride leaders...
Road through Belbroughton Is officially closed to traffic, but its just the high street that has been re-surfaced and now top dressed, so rideable with care... and less cars
Belt up, we're going for a ride

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 01 Jun 2019 10:39

Nick, might try again to pick you up for a few hours. Which way are you coming through?

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 01 Jun 2019 17:31

slogfester wrote:
01 Jun 2019 10:39
Nick, might try again to pick you up for a few hours. Which way are you coming through?
Heading out via Belbroughton. The road was back open again when I rode through this afternoon, just need to take care due to the loose chippings.

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 01 Jun 2019 18:23

Sorry for the short notice - I will lead a reasonably brisk A-paced Beacon Burst tomorrow - around 75km non-stop from the BH, normal 9am meet for 9.15 departure :)

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 02 Jun 2019 12:34

On today's definitely 'reasonably brisk' Beacon Burst ride were:

Jess Rhodes-Jones (leading)
Xavier Disley
Ian Taylor
Keith Adcock
Nic Vipond
Gemma Johnson
Dan Newns
Barry Evans

keith

Post by keith » 02 Jun 2019 13:14

Thanks Jess great run today .Definitely what you might call brisk

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 02 Jun 2019 13:29

Thanks Jess. Really enjoyed that.

simplysimon

Post by simplysimon » 02 Jun 2019 15:44

On the LVRC Tommy Godwin Memorial RR C (yes, we were genuinely mistaken by photographers and marshals for a road race bunch) were:

Simon White (leading)
Simon Woodward
Cedric Gioan
Noel O'Dwyer
Andy Terry
Dave Little
Mel Kavanagh
Adrian McHugh
Huan Dong
Geoff Mann
Finbarr Costigan
Pete Norman
Tom Jansons
Steve Hunt

Finally I would like to stress that an iced coffee is a perfect beverage for sitting in the rain and drinking, not at all some kind of hipster cry for help.

Simon Woodward

Post by Simon Woodward » 02 Jun 2019 16:57

Thanks for volunteering to lead the C run today Simon.
A great route and a thoroughly enjoyable ride.
I believe, the ride leader has the authority to eat and drink anything he fancies. :wink:

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 02 Jun 2019 20:05

Thanks for leading, Simon. Not easy keeping such a diverse (is that the right word?) bunch together.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 02 Jun 2019 21:59

On today’s hilly, warm & wet A Run to Ludlow were:

Nick Shenton (Leading)
Phil Richards
Phil Elwell
Neil Lynch
Vince Tenant
Andy Wrightson
Jon Williams
Ka Li

Thanks everyone for a great ride, I promise the climbing is nowhere near as brutal on my 300 in a couple of weeks time.