Club runs - 16th June

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 16th June

Post by WorcsPhil » 10 Jun 2019 16:14

Excellent to see over 30 riders out on the three club rides this weekend. Unfortunately I wasn't one of them, as mummy's brave little soldier had the lurgy and could hardly summon the energy to lie on the sofa and watch the cricket...so thanks to Nick for leading the A-ride at short notice. Also, it's the second week that a parallel fast Beacon Burst has been arranged even though there was already an A-ride...thanks to Ian for leading and for blasting a team time trial around the leafy lanes of Warwickshire, no doubt with some riders tucked in so close to the back wheel of the rider in front, they could have reached forward and nicked the contents of their saddlebag.

Thanks also to Colin for leading the C-ride and Helen, who does indeed get club run leader points for representing Beacon on the Go Ride in Birmingham city centre.

Two club events this Saturday to be aware of...with the first of these being the Janet Kelly Memorial 10mile TT...with over 100 entrants, this should be a great event, why not go along and support if you're not riding, details on the 'Club Events' thread. In addition, and at the other end of the distance spectrum, weather permitting, we have a treat in store as it's Nick Shenton's 321kms ride from the Black Horse to the top of the Cat and Fiddle climb outside Macclesfield and back again. What fun....this leaves at 06:00 on Saturday, see the facebook post for details and updates.

So that means that Sunday's club rides are up for grabs, as many regular leaders will be on these club events the day before...another good week for a Beacon Burst, perhaps? Hopefully, the rides will be announced later in the week, but at present, this week's rides are:

A: Beacon Burst led by Neil Orchard (09:15)
B: Arlen Arboretum- Matt Hale (09:15)
C: Lavender Hall - Simon Turner
Saturday 15th June: Nick Shenton's 321kms ride to the Cat and Fiddle (leaves at 06:00)

neilo

Re: Club runs - 16th June

Post by neilo » 10 Jun 2019 18:55

I'll lead another 'burst' this week as its fathers day (weather permitting) depending on who turns up will determine whether it'll be A or B pace, or even a combined A/B.

simplysimon

Post by simplysimon » 10 Jun 2019 19:51

I was planning 80 miles at around (certainly not much in excess of) 16mph on Sunday to Edgehill and back, probably stopping either in Kineton, Wellesbourne or Charlecote tbc.

I am very happy to start from the Black Horse (0900 for 0915) and call it a club ride if that suits. Might also grab a couple of BRATs along the way.

simplysimon

Post by simplysimon » 15 Jun 2019 14:36

Sorry people - family emergency means it is unlikely I will be cycling tomorrow. If I do get back to Brum I will be there, but it feels unlikely at the moment.

Simmo

Post by Simmo » 15 Jun 2019 16:26

I’ll lead a C ride to Lavender Hall it’s around 50 flattish miles, as I need to be back early for Father’s Day.

On today’s run were
Simon Turner leading
Andy Wrightson
Chris Ashford
Vince Tenant
Mark McKonkey
Joanne Congerton
Aidrian Low
Tamlyn Jones first club run made it to the cafe got a train home
Huan Dong
Paul Johnson made a brief but abusive cameo appearance
Cheers all
Last edited by Simmo on 16 Jun 2019 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

neilo

Post by neilo » 15 Jun 2019 18:57

The weather isn't looking too bad for tomorrow morning so the burst will be around 40ish miles returning before 12 o clock, like I said above whoever turns up will determine the pace.

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 15 Jun 2019 20:06

Happy to take a B ride to Arley Arboretum if Simon (White) doesn't make it.

Route similar or same as this:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27687806

simplysimon

Post by simplysimon » 15 Jun 2019 21:19

Matt Hale wrote:
15 Jun 2019 20:06
Happy to take a B ride to Arley Arboretum if Simon (White) doesn't make it.
Thanks Matt - much appreciated. I won't panic now.

neilo

Post by neilo » 16 Jun 2019 13:29

Today's 'burst' ended with a bit of a bang!
We were descending Rose Hill (+ 40mph) when a driver decided to pull out of the rose and crown hotel straight into the path of Ian Taylor, Ian ended up mounting the kerb and down a grass bank just missing a lamp post, luckily Ian doesn't seem too bad and has since text me saying his shoulder is a bit stiff (his head took most of the impact so not too much damage ;;-) ) joking aside this could've been so much worse! Another driver behind has dashcam footage so let us know what happens and rest up Ian 👍
Riders were-
Keith Adcock
Jamie Brooke's
Phil Gameson
Gemma Johnson
Neil Orchard (leading)
Alberto Recchioni
Mat Reagan
John Robert's
Ian Taylor
Rob Wade
Cheers everyone.

Alberto Recchioni

Post by Alberto Recchioni » 16 Jun 2019 13:45

Thanks Neil for leading!
All the best for Ian. I have arrived late at the scene and could have been much worse.
Speed recovery Ian!

simplysimon

Post by simplysimon » 16 Jun 2019 15:30

Great job in the small put perfectly formed A-ish A/B (so the guys told me!) visit to the Edgehill vintage motorcycle convention.

Team pulled together really well, especially when the lunatic who had done 20+ miles before the Club Ride started to get a bit fatigued.

Simon White (leading)
John Soady
Andy McGrath
Jon Sadler

We have yet to identify the young man with orange handlebar tape who we kept bumping in to, but Strava flyby might help.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 Jun 2019 17:03

VOLUNTEERS REQUIRED

If you have ridden a club run today but have not volunteered to support the club this year, whether it be leading a club run, marshalling or in any other capacity then please make yourself available and don't leave it to others.

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 16 Jun 2019 22:09

On the B ride to Arley Arboretum

Matt Hale (L)
Claire Fudge
Cedric Gioan
Noel O'Dwyer

Thanks all, a few showers, but otherwise incident free. Sure we had a favourable wind on the way back 😉