Club runs - 23rd June

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 23rd June

Post by WorcsPhil » 17 Jun 2019 10:43

First things first, massive congratulations to Gemma Johnson for winning the Janet Kelly memorial Trophy event at the Beacon Open 10mile TT on Saturday. It's been fantastic to see her improve over the last couple of years, and with a time of 22:46, that's seriously fast! In addition, Gemma, together with Simon Dighton and Roger Cutler won the Team Trophy for Beacon, and Rosie and Steve Croggon won the tandem trophy... fantastic rides all round. A big thanks to Jess Rhodes-Jones for organising the event this year, and with over 100 riders, that proved what a successful day it was...thanks Jess and to all the helpers who turned out to volunteer.

'Volunteer' has been the word of the week of course, with me and Lord Whiteman championing more people to help out on Beacon events and of course, you can contribute to that this Saturday at the Beacon Track meet at Halesowen track on Saturday (1-4pm). Be good to see a big crowd there.

As for last Sunday, we had FIVE club rides, which was great to see, ranging from the club 300kms club ride on Saturday to the top of the Cat and Fiddle climb, led extremely ably by Nick Shenton to the much shorter Beacon Burst, which again proved popular...sorry to hear of a crash for Ian Taylor after a car pulled out on the group on Rose Hill, so hope everyone and everything is ok. Big thanks to Nick, Neil, Matt, Simon and Simon for leading all the rides!

So with the temperature on the rise this week, let's fill up the club runs in advance...this week's rides are:

Beacon Burst 75kms without a café stop - led by Jess Rhodes-Jones
A: Draycote Water - Neil Orchard
B: Wyre Forest - Phil Gameson
C: Churchfields cafe, Salwarpe - Carolyn Clegg

Women's ride on Saturday leaves at 07:30, led by Gemma Johnson

carolyn

Re: Club runs - 23rd June

Post by carolyn » 17 Jun 2019 11:39

I am working unfortunately on Saturday so unable to help with the track. But I will lead the C ride champs on Sunday (destination TBC)

Gemma_j1983

Post by Gemma_j1983 » 18 Jun 2019 19:24

I can lead one on sat morning. Starting at 7.30.

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 19 Jun 2019 16:59

I'll lead a Beacon burst on Sunday - another brisk A paced one, around 70-75km

carolyn

Post by carolyn » 20 Jun 2019 09:49

C ride will be around 50miles to Churchfields Farmhouse Droitwich for Ice Creams!

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 21 Jun 2019 07:55

I'll lead the B ride to the Wyre Forest Visitor Centre.
It will be based on my usual route of just under 55 miles. There is quite a lot of climbing in the first two thirds, with the last third being a gentle climb back to Birmingham!
I'll probably post the route tomorrow.
Phil Gameson

neilo

Post by neilo » 21 Jun 2019 08:11

This weeks A run will be to Draycote water, around 80 miles, bring a lock.

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 22 Jun 2019 12:12

The B run route to the Wyre Forest Visitor Centre will be https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36267753

I intend to deviate slightly, going out over Egg Hill near the start.
The route also includes a misplotted dead end along the A491 which we won't be doing.
Phil Gameson

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 23 Jun 2019 14:40

Another speedy Beacon Burst this week, 32.1km/h moving average for 80km! Nice to see some Beacon faces that haven't been on a club ride for a while as well :)

On today's ride were:

Jess Rhodes-Jones (leading for the first 20km, leading from the back for the next 60km after my etap battery died :oops: )
Xavier Disley
Ian Taylor
John Hunt
Gavin Passmore
Paul Watkins
Jamie Brookes
Laurence Cooley
Nic Vipond
Matt Regan

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 23 Jun 2019 15:19

Matt Hale offered to provide a list (from memory) of who was on the ride, so hopefully he will paste later.

The ride was not without incident, but this weeks it was a mechanical.
Wayne's back type blew out, leaving a medium sized hole at rim height.
We put a temporary patch over the hole and made a detour to Halfords in Kidderminster where a new tyre was purchased. The tyre was a very tight fit, and after the cafe the tyre was flat again, so another inner tube was fitted.
In fact we did fewer miles than intended, but it was 2:30 when I got back to the Black Horse (I think everyone else had turned off by that point).
Phil Gameson

neilo

Post by neilo » 23 Jun 2019 15:23

Nice and brisk pace out to Draycote water today with no problems at all.
Riders were-
James Bendle
Paul Johnson
Ka Li
Neil Lynch
Martin McGowan
Neil Orchard (leading)
Phil Richards
Nic Shenton
Vince Tennant
Kevin Young
Cheers to everyone that took a turn on the front 👍

carolyn

Post by carolyn » 23 Jun 2019 16:08

The ice cream selection went down very well with the C ride today. Good fun had by all and interestingly close to an all out street brawl with an old land-rover who didn't agree with us riding 2 abreast on a quiet lane. Slammed on his breaks, jumped out of the car with some top quality ranting about reading the highway code and how we had to ride single file by law! We rode off ignoring the crazy only to hear shouts of theirs a fight! Thankfully no punches were thrown and we made our merry way to Chesterfields farm.

Carolyn (leading)
James Tate Super domestique
Adrian McHugh
Huan Dong
Nathan Burton
Finbarr Castigan
Mark McConkey
Neil Evanson
Geoffrey Mann
Kamran Anwar
Mel Kavanagh
Colin Hall