Club Runs - 7th July

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club Runs - 7th July

Post by WorcsPhil » 01 Jul 2019 12:55

Another week with well over 30 riders out on Beacon club runs. Thanks to Paul Johnson, Nick Shenton, Ian Taylor, Carolyn Clegg and Helen Jamieson for leading the wide variety of rides.

This week sees another monster club ride...to 'celebrate' Paul Johnson's 50th birthday, he is hosting a 500kms 'Pushing the Boundaries' club ride to Skegness and back on Saturday at 6am. Yes, Skegness, which is famous for its regency splendour and well-to-do visitors making good use of the plethora of antique shops and Michelin starred restaurants on it's majestic boulevards, all framed by the crystal-clear, azure water that the North Sea is famous for.

We'll let you know how the day panned out...

So while all this is going on, it may be prudent for you to volunteer to lead normal club runs this coming Sunday...why not post below, and make it a July day to remember...another good week for a Beacon Burst? Will Andy Wrightson ride the 500, finish at 08:55 on Sunday at the Black Horse, and join the C-ride straightaway for a loosener?

This week's rides all leave on Sunday at 09:15 unless otherwise stated:

A: Beacon Burst 50miler (no café stop) - Phil Elwell
B: Clows Top - Matt Hale
C: Wolverley - Finbarr Costigan

Intro ride: Leader and Support volunteer required

The 2019 'Pushing the Boundaries' Club Run - Skegness and back 502kms ride - leaves at 06:00 on Saturday, led by Paul Johnson

George

Re: Club Runs - 7th July

Post by George » 01 Jul 2019 13:45

Phil, hopefully you will find a leader and helper willing to commit early to making the intro ride happen on Sunday.

However, if no one comes forward in the days ahead, I may be able to step in. Unfortunately, I can't commit until the latter part of the week, because my availability to lead depends on the progress I make with an assignment that needs to be delivered on Monday.

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 03 Jul 2019 17:49

I'll lead the B run - Clows Top... about 60 miles BH to BH. Out via Stourport, back via Bewdley. Will be avoiding the Clee to Heaven route as much as possible so that anyone riding that won't be riding the same roads in quick succession. See you tomorrow
Last edited by Matt Hale on 06 Jul 2019 22:19, edited 2 times in total.

Mighty Millwall

Post by Mighty Millwall » 03 Jul 2019 18:20

I will volunteer to lead the C run. Please be aware although I have some experience of leading bike rides I have never led a Beacon Ride before. Anymore than 12 will be too many . Will aim for 50/55 miles with a café stop around the 30 mile point. Am looking forward to my first ride as the leader see you at The Black Horse on Sunday. Finbarr

George

Post by George » 04 Jul 2019 10:53

Unfortunately, it now looks highly unlikely that I will be able to step in if you don't find an Intro leader. Sorry; too much work.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 04 Jul 2019 15:30

Mighty Millwall wrote:
03 Jul 2019 18:20
I will volunteer to lead the C run. Please be aware although I have some experience of leading bike rides I have never led a Beacon Ride before. Anymore than 12 will be too many . Will aim for 50/55 miles with a café stop around the 30 mile point. Am looking forward to my first ride as the leader see you at The Black Horse on Sunday. Finbarr
Thanks for volunteering, Finbarr. Can you let us know the destination and/or your route out of Brum so I can join you without having to ride up to the Black Horse first?

Mighty Millwall

Post by Mighty Millwall » 04 Jul 2019 16:42

Hi Andy coming out via Barnt Green and then over to Tutnall and passing underneath the Bromsgrove /Redditch dual carriageway . 7/8 miles
miles from Black Horse say 9.45 ish ??

Hi everybody else stopping at Gil's Café in Wolverley reserved tables. Route is 50 miles Black Horse to Black Horse ...come back via St Kenelms Pass .

See you Sunday

Finbarr

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 04 Jul 2019 23:13

Mighty Millwall wrote:
04 Jul 2019 16:42
Hi Andy coming out via Barnt Green and then over to Tutnall and passing underneath the Bromsgrove /Redditch dual carriageway . 7/8 miles from Black Horse say 9.45 ish ??
Perfect, thanks.

Phil_Elwell

Post by Phil_Elwell » 05 Jul 2019 12:03

I'll lead an A-run burst (Alcester loop) back up through Ullenhall / Earlswood - around 50 ish miles

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 05 Jul 2019 16:14

Thanks, Finbarr...an excellent example of someone stepping up to lead for the first time. To help him out, please ensure that you follow the fundamentals of club run etiquette, which is even more important when someone is perhaps leading for the first time...in particular

- Ride at the pace Finbarr sets, don't go charging off the front
- If you want to ride faster, then why not volunteer to lead the following week, and state what pace you will ride at
- If cars are coming towards you from the front or back, shout clearly down the line so that everyone is aware
- If someone drops off the back, then SHOUT 'off the back!' so that you can slow down and re-group...
- Warn people about potholes, parked cars or runners etc, so that everyone rides safe

I know you know all this, but I want to hear that Finbarr enjoyed his leadership - I'm sure you will, Finnbar. Enjoy!

Phil

Fenella

Post by Fenella » 05 Jul 2019 20:55

I'll take the women's run tomorrow leaving the black horse at 8:30.

I know that Gemma, Carolyn and Hels can't make it, so hopefully I won't be on my own...

Fenella

Post by Fenella » 06 Jul 2019 12:07

Only me on the women's ride this morning. 40 miles and managed not to drop myself.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 06 Jul 2019 17:07

Fenella wrote:
06 Jul 2019 12:07
Only me on the women's ride this morning. 40 miles and managed not to drop myself.
Gutted not to join you today, but I didn’t pick the bike up till 11am.
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 07 Jul 2019 10:55

On Saturday/Sunday's Skegness 500
Paul Johnson(L)
Phil Richards
Andy Wrightson
Chris Ashford
John Williams
Nick Shenton
Martin McGowan
Alberto Recchioni
Vincent Tennant
Simon Woodward
Paul Johnson

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 07 Jul 2019 11:35

Hey. Catherine Corr and I did a Beacon ladies burst from the black horse this morning. We both needed to get back!
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

Mighty Millwall

Post by Mighty Millwall » 07 Jul 2019 15:56

On the C run today
Wayne Gibbs
Geoff Mann
Cedric Gioan
David Stephenson
Colin Hall
Ash Turner
Kamran Anwar
Andy Terry
Gareth Lewis
Finbarr Costigan(Leader)

Welcome to Gareth Lewis first Sunday ride with the Beacon . Shame he had to put up with me leading my first ride. We got there and back no mechanicals . Will volunteer again .. to those thinking about leading ."come on in, it's not as cold as you think"

Thanks to all for their tolerance

Finbarr

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 07 Jul 2019 20:51

On the B ride today:

Claire Fudge
Matt Hale (L)
Toby Hale
Andy McGrath
Noel O'Dwyer
Ewan Ross
Alex Rybinski
Si Walker

Ewan had a **flat** on the way to the cafe, unfortunately at the bottom of a steep climb just before Abberley after most had already started to ascend. Kudos to Alex who volunteered to head back down to assist!

The cafe was busy, so service a little slow, although food was good. By coincidence, Neil Lynch was at the cafe following the route of the Mad March Hare.

After some more fun climbs :) , Ewan had another **flat** - again at the bottom of the climb on the road to Habberley. Andy provided assistance this time and we were back riding before I had a **flat** myself before we got to Churchill. I ushered the rest of the group on and rode back with Toby, puncturing again before home on the new tube!!! :evil: :cry:

Hope everyone got back ok

Despite the Fl*ts, a good ride and a good warm up for anyone riding the Beacon Audaxes in 2 weeks

Phil_Elwell

Post by Phil_Elwell » 08 Jul 2019 08:46

On the A run burst yesterday:

> Phil Elwell (leading)
> Jess Rhodes
> Xavier Disley
> Alistair Hey
> Jamie Brookes